LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-16-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Phassetus

Default Need HELP!!!/Advice! New Pit Owner!!
Hi Everyone!
Im Randee! Im from Fort Wayne,In.
I am 19 years old, me and and my boyfriend of a year and a half just got a 6 week old pitbull pup,his name is *Magnum* by the way =]
Honestly, i need some help and advice on a few things.
I am having some problems with his biting, and growling. He plays and gets a little to excited to where when i try to get him to stop he growls at us and nips at our faces (raising his lips up and showing his teeth also.) Now, i heard that this sorta thing happens with Pits/and other breeds of this sort, they have a thing with faces. I dnt want to hit/tease/yell...or anything to make him scitterish,or mean and try and i dont want to try over-dominate him, but he's got to know whose boss...he listens more to my b/f rather than me, due to his deep voice. He HATES the word "NO" cops an attitude and throws himself around when u pick him up to tell him no, and after a min. goes back to normal...He's very good with new ppl, walks up to anyone and gives them lots of kisses, but is just having problems listening to us. he has a little attitude for sure! He gets lots of attention, i work @ night, so i am with him all day, watchin and givin him lots of love and affection, which i heard is what he needs, he's around plenty of ppl, being socialized...he plays with a kitten we got about a month ago (which he's very easy with) and with an older Staff Terrier that my b/f's parents have he gets rougher...he cuddles all night with me til i get up the next morning, and i mean snuggles right to my side/and tucks his head into my neck... He just has a prob. with biting and growling and getting a little to aggressive while playing... i dnt want my little boy mean, he's very spoiled,he's 6 weeks old. The people who sold him to me, about a week ago, got rid of him early.I just dnt want him aggressive, and i kinda want to nip it in the bud before he gets big and the problem is worse, i dnt want to have to get rid of him, cuz i know more than likely he wont find a good home being aggressive like this.
So if someone could PLEASE help!
Im brand new at this Forum thing, not quite sure on how things work really, so if u have good advice, u can write me on my email as well,
N2_Irocz16@yahoo.com

Thanks a Ton every1!
-Randee-
PS:Thats a Pic of him below! he's a cutie!!!
=]

Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
seicslybearee

Lol! There you are! =D

You'll get more responses in a little while, just sit tight =)

You might want to look into NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free), it's a training method

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Phassetus

lol. yah!
haha, i know im a little young, hopefully people understand...
i knew what i wanted when i got this little guy, and over this past week,i've gotten VERY close to him, and have fallin completely head over heels for him, he's my little boy,and goes everywhere with me...i absolutely adore him, and want whats best for him and nothin to hurt him.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #4
seicslybearee

lol. yah!
haha, i know im a little young, hopefully people understand...
i knew what i wanted when i got this little guy, and over this past week,i've gotten VERY close to him, and have fallin completely head over heels for him, he's my little boy,and goes everywhere with me...i absolutely adore him, and want whats best for him and nothin to hurt him.
No worries

There are other youngins' on here as well. I think one is like 16?

Anyway, he is a very cute puppy. I can see why you love him so!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Phassetus

yah! I WuVz Him 2 much! haha i just know that the ppl that got rid of him didnt care, he was with all boys in his litter...3 of them had there ears cut completely off, (Did not look professional one bit)he was one of few that had his still. and from what they said when i got him, they said he was the leader of the litter...they didnt care, and i think just used the parents for breeding purposes to make money.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
Phassetus

Hi Everyone!
Im Randee! Im from Fort Wayne,In.
I am 19 years old, me and and my boyfriend of a year and a half just got a 6 week old pitbull pup,his name is *Magnum* by the way =]
Honestly, i need some help and advice on a few things.
I am having some problems with his biting, and growling. He plays and gets a little to excited to where when i try to get him to stop he growls at us and nips at our faces (raising his lips up and showing his teeth also.) Now, i heard that this sorta thing happens with Pits/and other breeds of this sort, they have a thing with faces. I dnt want to hit/tease/yell...or anything to make him scitterish,or mean and try and i dont want to try over-dominate him, but he's got to know whose boss...he listens more to my b/f rather than me, due to his deep voice. He HATES the word "NO" cops an attitude and throws himself around when u pick him up to tell him no, and after a min. goes back to normal...He's very good with new ppl, walks up to anyone and gives them lots of kisses, but is just having problems listening to us. he has a little attitude for sure! He gets lots of attention, i work @ night, so i am with him all day, watchin and givin him lots of love and affection, which i heard is what he needs, he's around plenty of ppl, being socialized...he plays with a kitten we got about a month ago (which he's very easy with) and with an older Staff Terrier that my b/f's parents have he gets rougher...he cuddles all night with me til i get up the next morning, and i mean snuggles right to my side/and tucks his head into my neck... He just has a prob. with biting and growling and getting a little to aggressive while playing... i dnt want my little boy mean, he's very spoiled,he's 6 weeks old. The people who sold him to me, about a week ago, got rid of him early.I just dnt want him aggressive, and i kinda want to nip it in the bud before he gets big and the problem is worse, i dnt want to have to get rid of him, cuz i know more than likely he wont find a good home being aggressive like this.
So if someone could PLEASE help!
Im brand new at this Forum thing, not quite sure on how things work really, so if u have good advice, u can write me on my email as well,
N2_Irocz16@yahoo.com

Thanks a Ton every1!
-Randee-
PS:There's a pic of him there! he's my handsome little boy! so if you have advice please please please, anything would help!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Triiooman

Welcome Randee! There is a TON of information on here that will help you!

First off, since your puppy was taken from his litter too young you need to assume the role of dam and littermates and teach what is called bite inhibition - which means when it's okay and not okay to bite. Your puppy is not being aggressive... he just doesn't know boundaries. And saying that you heard this breed has a thing with faces - that is a pure myth, and should not be believed! Do some research, and you'll see this breed is no different than any other dog... they just need love, training, and a responsible, educated owner!

I suck at finding things on the forum, but check out NILIF. Start obedience training Magnum now.. it's not too early! Stay in charge, show him his boundaries, and he'll grow up just fine

Did you get to meet his parents?

Old 09-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Phassetus

Yes, i did get to meet his parents.
his dad was a gator/moo moo pit?
(white with patches of orange/tiger striped brindle patterns)
he was HUGE!
they said for me to keep a safe distance away from him though, he didnt look friendly.
and his mama was a red devil.
she was a little sweetheart...but lookd like she had been put thru hell.
u could tell the dogs were used for havin babies/makin money.
went to look at the pups, cuz i found the ad on kijiji.com
and they had to bring his big dad out of the basement, not quite sure on why they keep them down there.
3 of his brothers had there ears cut off, not cropped just completely cut off...which honestly broke my heart. =[
Magnum was one of few that didnt have it done to him.
and he was just a big goof. and the leader of his litter.
but, i've heard that sometimes, u just dnt get a good dog, no matter what ya do they are still just bad...no matter what breed.
my b/f's dad has a chocolate lab that is 13 years old, and after all this time, just bit him and put a hole in the side of his leg, due to not wantin to go to his cage....thats a fine example that other dogs can have probs also.its not just pits.
and i really dont want to have to give him up, due to his little temper/attitude....and not knowin boundaries, because i know he's gonna be big, and i dnt want him hurtin me, or anyone else by chance on accident.
It would break my heart to have to give him up.
or havin to put him down due to him biting to hard not knowin his strength,and pits already have a bad rep, anyone and everyone wants to look for a reason to put them away cuz they've got the rep of being a "bad temperamented dog" and being "vicous"
the apartments my mom lives in, he goes to be baby sat while i go to work at night, he stays there for a few hours and my boyfriend picks him up after he gets out of work...
well the apartment complex is already tryin to evict my mom for havin the 6 week old pit there already, and i've only had him for a week. he doesnt live there just is watched for a few....
isnt that nice?
i know my little boy is just like any other pup and after getting a few responses back, i know he was takin a little young from his mom/and brothers....so i know its up to me/and wes (the boyfriend) to fix this and make him beat the odds...
i know he can be a great dog, he's got it in him....
he's just gonna be some work.
If this biting/growling and showin teeth doesnt stop, i was lookin into puttin him into some classes for like 8 weeks, that'll help with it...
but he cant be enrolled until he's 10 weeks.
so i've got about a month still til he's ready.
but ill do anything to keep him, he's def. well worth it.
=]

Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
N1bNXuDb

Classes will definitely teach you so much about how to train your puppy!

Check out the Training & Behavior forum here and click out the 'Sticky' threads. They will teach you so much too!

Lets see, here's some highlights:

Leadership Confusion: http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=11584

Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF): http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=1571

Leader & Follower Tips: http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=1571

Bite Inhibition: http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=10539

Training & Socializing Puppies: http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=3012

And in the future, when you know someone is just breeding dogs for money, and you see that the parents and other dogs there have not been treated quite right, you should NOT get your dog from there. You are not 'saving' your dog, you are merely encouraging these people to breed again and again.

Go to a pit bull rescue, full of adult dogs who have known temperments and are already trained and used to living in homes thanks to their foster parents. And if you must get a puppy ... rescues are full of those too, many in foster homes just like the adults, and often with their littermates. You can find any color you want too ... blue, red-nose, black & white, brindle, whatever. Shelters euthanize wonderful adoptable pits everyday just because there aren't enough homes.

I am not being mean, I am just trying to get you to realize the problem with 'saving' a dog from a backyard breeder.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
DeronBoltonRen

There are lots of great threads on this site in the training/behavior section that will help you set some boundaries with your puppy. I would recommend keeping the puppy crated at night as opposed to sleeping in the bed with you, but that's a personal decision.

I'm also curious, what made you get this dog? You said yourself the breeders were irresponsible and used the dogs as a money making operation, and that the adult dogs were unfriendly and poorly cared for. The fact that they sold a puppy at five weeks tells you they don't give a crap about their dogs. I know it's hard when you feel bad for a helpless animal in a bad situation. The only problem is poorly bred dogs often have behavioral issues later. If you are ever in a situation with a breeder like that again, RUN out of there as fast as you can. I give you credit for your willingness to take the time and energy to help your puppy. Best of luck!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:59 AM   #11
Triiooman

ACK!

Okay, first off... there aren't any such things as gator/red devil/etc. etc. pit bulls. There are different kennel names/bloodlines, but that doesn't mean much when it comes to poorly bred dogs.

If the father of your dog was human aggression, there is a GOOD chance your puppy will be as well. That is genetics, and there is nothing you can do about. Get your puppy into classes and work with him A LOT... but always keep an eye out for truly unsound temperament and be prepared to put him to sleep. It amazes me when people get puppies out of aggressive dogs and don't worry about it, because they believe it's "all in how they are raised" - and that's just not true. Genetics play a HUGE role in everything.

It really sounds like your pup came from some of THE worst bybs out there... so you have a lot of work ahead of you!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
traithJah

Awww, this poor little baby is too young to be away from his mother yet. That's just sad. His sire's human aggression would seriously concern me. A big no no in this breed. Pits should never be human aggressive. I agree these people sound like the worst scummy back yard breeders. Please take the great advice you've been given so far & read,read,read & educate yourself.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #13
tpJKhY8Z

I moved your thread to the appropriate section and hopefully more members will be able to offer advice.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
enrisaabsotte

If you can find it, you should check out the Training and Behavior Section here. There are stickies at the top, about the aformentioned NIFL, Puppy behavior and training, etc. You are sure to find an answer there!

To me he sounds like he is being a obnoxious puppy. Where did you get him? Was he with his littermates and momma for the first 6-8 weeks of his life?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
sabbixsweraco

Training and Socializing puppies:
http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=3012

Developmental stages of puppies:
http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=10080

NILIF training, as Rai77 posted:
http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=1571

Puppy Safety:
http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=12372

Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
Prererularl

First off 6 weeks is way too young to be away from the mother and litter mates. All puppies are going to be puppies, they will nip and bark well and just be puppies. Read the links to NILF training.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 AM   #17
Phassetus

Thanks alot.
lol
im new at this whole forum thing.
not quite sure about what is goin on and how to do anything.
where did ya move it to?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:41 AM   #18
Phassetus

PS: To All, I am lookin into puttin him into Obedience classes.
He has to be 10 weeks when he's eligible.
he's gettin better with his biting and growling.
he's improving and def. doin better than his first week with me.
i know he's young and work, but i am lookin forward to makin him great.
and i honestly believe he will be.I think my little boy will beat the odds.

=]

Reply to Thread New Thread