LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
tq4F7YKs

Default Rant

So, here I am again caring emotionally and sometimes financially for dogs I don't even own.

My friend, Donna, took in an APBT named Buddy when she was with Frank, another friend. Buddy was emaciated because his owners couldn't afford to feed him and he was living on bologna.

When my brother had to give up Rita and Onyx, I took Rita and friend and Donna took Onyx. They renamed him Petey.

She and Frank shared their place with Jim and between them they took care of the dogs because they had a fenced in yard.

I also helped by coming over a couple times a week and bringing treats to work on their training. I got her neuter certificates from a local rescue to get them fixed for $20 each. I paid for their shots and tags this year. I also told them they needed to work on leash training because they aren't physically healthy and the dogs pull like trucks.

Two years later, Frank has passed away. Donna started dating again and decided to give up her place to move in with her BF. I told her not to give up her place because of the dogs and how hard it is to find something affordable that allowed Pit Bulls. I told her her new BF had already backed out of the relationship a couple times in a couple months and it wasn't a stable situation.

Did anyone listen? Nooooo.

She came over at the end of last week and asked to use my computer to find a new place because her BF kicked her out and she was staying at Jim's efficiency apartment with another friend, Mel, who is also staying there. The BF said the dogs could stay in his yard until she could get a place of her own and the plan was for the lot of them to find a 3 bedroom with a fenced yard.

This morning I got a call that she needs someone to keep the boys because BF said they can't stay there now. Big shock. She says she'll be able to move around the 1st of next month. But, the apartment she is staying at is right on the main road and the dogs have already dashed out the door a couple times in the last 24 hours. They tried walking them to potty on leash, but they have pulled Jim and Mel down to the ground and Donna can't even try walking them due to a shoulder repair she has had surgery on and needs to have surgery on again as soon as they can get her in for it.

With the living situation, they can't safely keep the dogs there because they can't walk them. It's either a temp foster or the pound.

I have called everyone I know and even asked on FB. No one can do it. Every Pit savvy person I know is full up and to further complicate things, Petey is DA with every dog but Buddy.

I'd take them, but I am over my limit by 1, my neighbors are cool about it, but said they'd call AC on me if I took my brothers dogs when he was moving, so I know they'd call over Petey and Buddy. Plus, I am alone all day with my dogs (who get along), but I think managing Petey and Buddy would be damn near impossible with Petey's extreme DA. I can't guarantee I could manage all 6 by myself and can't put my own dogs at risk.

So, I called her back. I told her not to take the dogs to the pound because they'll get put down. Owner surrender, Pit Bull, one DA... yeah, that's a death sentence.

I said if they can keep them in the apartment until they can get a new place, I suggested a prong collar to immediately stop the pulling. She said she has no money til the 23rd and she needs all she has to cover moving costs. I said I would go to the pet store, pay for a prong collar to stop the pulling, show them how to fit it and use it, so they can walk the dogs to potty. I also offered to give them my spare crate to use for opening and closing the door to stop the door dash. I said if they absolutely can't keep the dogs, we could start looking for a rescue right away and maybe we'd get lucky and find one. She said she would call me back and let me know what they decide to do.

I love Donna, Jim, and Mel. I know they genuinely love the dogs and treat them pretty well. They cuddle them, sleep with them, talk to them, play with them (fetch etc) and the only thing they lack is walks and leash training, which wasn't much of a problem when they had a huge fenced yard the boys played in all day. But this group of people don't have a brain between them to solve problems or anticipate problems before they happen.

I am so freaking sick and tired of dealing with stupid Pit Bull owners who just don't freaking get it. I am so sick of loving other people's dogs and then losing them because of said stupidity. I bend over backwards trying to help and it usually gets nowhere for the owners, the dogs, or me.

First my sis had to rehome King because of the fight with Diamond (preventable...landlord said he had to go), then my brother gives away Trinity because of trailer park rules, now Petey and Buddy? Really?

How much more do I take before I become a hermit and just stop caring about dogs that aren't mine and people???

Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Aswdwdfg

MJ, Be careful banging your head against that wall. You wouldn't want to cause brain damage as it appears that you are one of the only people you know that seems to have a brain! HEHEHE

Hopefully your friend has learned her lesson about giving up everything to accomodate a man. She lost her place, probably most of her furniture and stuff, and now her dogs.

Try not to get too stressed out about others actions. Accept the things you can not change.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
tq4F7YKs

They say ignorance is bliss. Maybe if I hit my head against the wall really hard a few times I will do enough brain damage to be blissful...

And, no, she won't learn. She's one of those women who is pretty helpless without a man taking care of things for her. Her husband did it for over 20 years before he left her. Immediately, she moved in with Frank and he took over taking care of things. She's literally dumb as a box with a real good heart and completely dependent on having a man to do things and make decisions. Best I can hope for is she finds a good one who loves dogs, assuming she keeps them.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Aswdwdfg

Banging your head against the wall will just turn you into one of the idiots you are ranting about, maybe you wouldn't care, but is it really worth it?

Hopefully she won't immediately go out on the problem searching for wonderful Frank's replacement....

Old 12-15-2011, 04:16 AM   #5
tq4F7YKs

So, I went over there. Jim said they absolutely cannot stay. His landlord doesn't allow dogs, it's not safe with the road right there, they can't handle them (I took them for a potty walk and had no problems) and Donna is NOT getting a place in 2 weeks because she allowed the jackass boyfriend to drain her cash supply dry. Jim said it would be February or March at earliest.

So, I talked to Donna when she got there and to Jim and Mel. They agreed the best thing is to rehome the dogs permanently.

I am now searching for a rescue or permanent new owners for these boys.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
freevideoandoicsI

I just had to talk a friend of mine out of beating the everliving shit out of a guy because my friend cares more about the guy's dogs than the guy does My friend helped the dude whelp and care for his "oops" litter of bully mutts.. now they they're old enough to be sold, he got them certificates for FREE spays/neuters if the guy paid to have the bitch spayed - but the guy refuses to spay her, so of course all the pups are going off without vaccines or altering.

It really sucks when you try to help on behalf of the animals, and you keep getting screwed over by the people and in the end you can't do everything for the animals that they need I gave up on trying to help and on giving a shit, and just focused on my own dogs. So much less stress to deal with!

Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #7
CaseyFronczekHomie

That's shitty.

Next time I guess she should get some nice cats.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
tq4F7YKs

Yeah, but I've known Buddy for almost 3 years now and Petey is one of my idiot brothers pups from Sid and Trin. I jokingly refer to him as my "great nephew dog". They're good dogs. They deserve better.

And yeah, I want to beat the shit out of the BF who promised that even if things didn't work out he'd keep the dogs at his place and Donna for letting this happen. I laid into her pretty hard tonight. I asked for directions to the BF, but no one would give them to me. They said he has guns. I said I didn't give a shit and if he drew down on me he better hope he kills me. They said NO! and refused to tell me how to get there.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

That's shitty.

Next time I guess she should get some nice cats.
She had 2 cats. Mouse and Monkey. I also got them spay certificates and they were spayed. Then she decided they could be outdoor cats because keeping them inside was mean. Monkey was hit by a car and Mouse just disappeared.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
CaseyFronczekHomie

Jesus Christ. Well, you just reminded me of why I keep in touch with like, 5 people I know in real life.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
PriniMai

And now I know why I keep to myself. Lived in my house for 7yrs and I couldn't even tell you who my neighbors are. They are even lucky I say hi. All that drama would drive me crazy, you need to separate yourself from the situation and hope for the best.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
tq4F7YKs

I'm spending the day contacting rescues and hoping I can get one with room for one or both dogs. My husband is a local truck driver and he's talking to all the guys he works with and the guys he knows at his stops to see if any of them could take one or both boys or knows someone who is looking for a dog.

No matter how this turns out, I think I am going to have 3 less "friends" when this is all said and done.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
CaseyFronczekHomie

Nothing like the lack of thought and foresight from old friends to make you shorten that friend list.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
tq4F7YKs

Anyone have any rescue or foster in MI, OH, IL or IN leads? I will drive within reason to save these boys.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Buddy is the fat one, Petey is the one with the white face and black circle around his eye.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
MwhwF6bp

zomg!!!!!!!!!! PATCH aka Petey is soooooooooo cute! that eye color is fkin beautiful on him.

btw- if thats your daughter, she is BEAUTIFUL!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
QQ9ktYrV

And, no, she won't learn. She's one of those women who is pretty helpless without a man taking care of things for her. Her husband did it for over 20 years before he left her. Immediately, she moved in with Frank and he took over taking care of things. She's literally dumb as a box with a real good heart and completely dependent on having a man to do things and make decisions. Best I can hope for is she finds a good one who loves dogs, assuming she keeps them.
Good Lord... I think Donna is my neighbors twin sister from another mother!!! Did you read my thread on the neighbor across the street with 21 dogs??

This situation sucks, for the dogs and you. The dogs didn't ask to be put in this situation and all they know is they love Donna and they aren't going to understand when their "mom" they love more than anything dumps them and never returns. Dogs don't understand about domestic problems or divorce or break ups or anything like that. It's sad really, for the dogs... and for you, who actually cares about the dogs.

I have been going through the same thing with my neighbor who refuses to spay/neuter her dogs, especially the Boston Terriers because she is going to "breed them so I can make some money... ha ha ha"... I just about choked her till her eyeballs popped out so I could stomp on them!! She has 5 BT's, 4 females and one male... and she sees them as a money making business.... never mind that she can't even take care of her kids and never has groceries. I bet she has borrowed 5 lbs of butter from me, plus a bag of sugar and probably 2 dozen eggs since I have lived there. She never pays me back, which would be fine, if she just took care of her kids and dogs and fed them properly...... and spay/neuter her dogs!!

I too, want to bang my head sometimes.... no, make that, I want to bang HER head... ALL of the time!! I feel your pain, and I know exactly what you are going through. Sometimes, I think the only human interaction my neighbors dogs gets, is when she asks me to feed them if she is out of town. I actually pet and love on them, and scrub the green slim out of their water buckets and untangle their chains.

I wish I could help. If I didn't already have 5 dogs and 2 cats I would at least try to foster one of them. My neighbor actually offered me a BT puppy "for free" as payment for feeding and taking care of them over the Thanksgiving holiday. My reply was, "Girl, I have 5 dogs and 2 cats, I'm overflowing and can barely feed what I have, no way I could bring in a puppy and care for it properly"... hint, hint!!! She didn't take the hint.

I hope things work out for the best for the dogs, sounds like their only ally on this earth is you. Thank you for doing what you can to help them out. They definitely have an angel in their corner!

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Sadly, I know a guy in IN that would be more than willing to help you and could probably find them temp or permanent homes, but he had a stroke the Sunday after Thanksgiving and has not recovered yet, and I'm not sure he will. I will see if I can locate some shelters/fosters that he works with. I'll PM you if I find out anything.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
SantaClaus

I'm so sorry to hear about this mess.

Those two dogs look so happy and I love Petey too!!! I pray you can find them decent homes.

Thank you for doing the right thing by them, I wish I knew you, you are truly a blessing for these dogs and their former owners, who will realize all too late what a true friend you were.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #17
QQ9ktYrV

Those two dogs look so happy and I love Petey too!!! I pray you can find them decent homes.

Thank you for doing the right thing by them, I wish I knew you, you are truly a blessing for these dogs and their former owners, who will realize all too late what a true friend you were.
I agree 100%!!! They are both adorable, and Petey with that eye patch!!!

If I knew you in person, you would be my new best friend, and then I would give you this

Too bad they will see what a great person and friend you were to them.... after it's too late. Sadly, hindsight is always 20/20, even for idiots!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #18
tq4F7YKs

zomg!!!!!!!!!! PATCH aka Petey is soooooooooo cute! that eye color is fkin beautiful on him.

btw- if thats your daughter, she is BEAUTIFUL!
That is my daughter, Shana. She's 13. The boy in the pictures is my son, Duncan. He is 10. I took the with me last night to drop off my spare crate and a prong collar, but it's hopeless. They said even with the collar and crate they can't keep the boys there. I had to beg for a few days to work on it. Since I knew I was going to be trying to find them a home, foster, or rescue, I thought the pictures of them with the kids would help.

Yeah, Petey is a hottie. I love them both, but Petey is my favorite. When I go visit, which used to be 2-3 times a week, Petey likes to sleep on my feet or put his head and paws on my lap for lovin's.

And I don't get why Jim and Mel can't control them. I took them out ofr potty walks last night with the regular collars on and had no problems. A lil pulling, a correction, and they were pretty good.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Good Lord... I think Donna is my neighbors twin sister from another mother!!! Did you read my thread on the neighbor across the street with 21 dogs??

Sadly, I know a guy in IN that would be more than willing to help you and could probably find them temp or permanent homes, but he had a stroke the Sunday after Thanksgiving and has not recovered yet, and I'm not sure he will. I will see if I can locate some shelters/fosters that he works with. I'll PM you if I find out anything.
Anything you can do, Nana, would be much appreciated. I am having no luck here. A no-kill shelter, a rescue, a foster home, a permanent home..one dog or both...anything. My heart hurts over this shit and I have actually been crying off and on all day as things look more and more grim. Sometimes, I think the only reason I still went to see the humans was the dogs. If I fail to find them somewhere to go and they go to the pound to be put down I will break.

The shelters are so full up, and they have to keep strays for 4 days by state law, that these guys go there as owner surrenders, it's all over. They go as "strays" and they might get a few days before they get euth'd. They city they are in has a Pit ban, so the shelter there will put them down right away. My city is the nearest without a breed ban and they are euthing 2x a week now due to volume.

Yes, I have been following your thread and I want to smack that woman without even knowing her! I am in a pretty foul mood with Donna and Jim and Mel. Donna for allowing this to happen over some POS guy and Jim and Mel for being too lazy and too wimpy to keep the dogs they supposedly love for a it longer. I told them the prong would stop pulling on walks and the crate or simply close them in the bathroom before opening the front door would top the dashing out, but they were all "Do what? Huh?" herp-derping it. I'm lucky I talked them into a few days.

Not to mention, why the hell am I the only one who knows these dogs even trying??? I live a 15 min drive away. They could come here, use the other 2 computers and my phone to freaking help!

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Honestly, at this point, I am not their real friend. I don't much care about how the lot of them screwed up their lives making one stupid decision after another. I am doing this for the dogs and the dogs only. And I am starting to accept that I will probably fail without a minor miracle.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
QQ9ktYrV

Not to mention, why the hell am I the only one who knows these dogs even trying??? I live a 15 min drive away. They could come here, use the other 2 computers and my phone to freaking help!
Because they simply DO NOT CARE. They have a mess, and they want someone else to clean it up. They don't even care enough to watch you clean it up, they are just going to leave the whole d*** mess to you to do all the work.... just like my freaking neighbor... I swear, it's a good thing we DON'T live close to each other... we'd be on a freaking mission to murder a few people!!!

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

MMJ... I just posted a plea on my FB wall... hopefully that will generate some help.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #20
tq4F7YKs

Thanks. Robyn shared it on her wall, too. I sent you a PM with my FB if you want to get anything off my wall about the boys.

Reply to Thread New Thread