LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Zjohkrbi

Default PETA strikes again
PETA to Nutter & Council: ban horse-drawn carriages | Philadelphia Inquirer | 09/02/2009

Philadelphia — PETA has sent an urgent letter to Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter and the City Council calling on them to implement a ban on horse-drawn carriages. PETA's letter comes on the heels of an August 29 incident in which a horse who was pulling a carriage suffered a leg injury after becoming spooked and crashing the carriage into a pole at the intersection of Third and Walnut streets.

PETA points out that similar incidents have occurred in nearly every city in which horse-drawn carriages are still permitted to operate. These accidents often cause serious injuries and fatalities to horses, motorists, onlookers, carriage operators, and riders. A growing number of municipalities have realized that these dangerous operations have no place in today's busy cities. Bans have been implemented in Biloxi, Miss.; Reno, Nev.; Palm Beach, Panama City, Key West, Deerfield Beach, and Pompano Beach, Fla.; Santa Fe, N.M.; and Camden, N.J., as well as London, Paris, Beijing, and Toronto.

"Forcing horses to pull heavy loads through busy city streets is cruel, and it's an accident waiting to happen," says PETA Director Debbie Leahy. "This incident should be a wake-up call to the people of Philadelphia. The only way to ensure the safety of passengers, motorists, and horses is to ban horse-drawn carriages, so we urge the mayor and the City Council to act to prevent future tragedies."

Old 09-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Swidemaiskikemu

PETA

Horses are work animals.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
AlekseyZubkov

As aesthetic as it is, I tend to agree. Maybe if they had their own route(impossible) or something.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
9uWzBx4l

PETA

Horses are work animals.
So is Ingrid Newkirk , both a horse and a work animal ...just sayin .

Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
soitlyobserty

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, to think I used to DEFEND this because I know, (having spend several years around them, when my ex owned race horses,) that they DO like to be busy, I'm so glad they're going to ban it after I found them abusing them. First, I found out from one of the drivers, who no longer works for them, about my favorite carriage horse, Tom, (RIP TOM,) who was LAME in his back leg, it would swell up like there was a watermelon in it, but still, they sent him out. She told me a bunch of other stuff they did like that, but the day I saw them out there several degrees past the temperature that they're supposed to get off the streets when reached, and the TOTAL DISREGARD the drivers had when I informed them of this, (it was EXTREMELY HOT AND humid, aside from the fact that it was about 4 degrees past the already high temp cutoff they set,) was the day I stopped supporting them and reported them.

Every single horse I've seen lately looks like it should be put down out of mercy, not dragged out on the streets.

RE TOM: I went up to the stables where he used to live a month or so ago, because I hadn't seen him out in sometime. When I asked the few people that were there where he was, one got REALLY uncomfortable, and the other kind of stuttered, "uh..uh...he had to be put down..."

Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Peptobismol

banning seems unreasonable, I'm sure they can work to improve conditions for horses, there are "greener pastures" available within city limits where they can relax.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Flefebleaft

Well every car on the street has to be inspected & licensed, and every auto repair shop, why not the same for the horses & stables?

The heat factor makes me crazy too, BeBe, I just hate seeing them work when I KNOW its over 92. Even if its only 91, c'mon, that's too hot.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
huntbytnkbel

Well every car on the street has to be inspected & licensed, and every auto repair shop, why not the same for the horses & stables?

The heat factor makes me crazy too, BeBe, I just hate seeing them work when I KNOW its over 92. Even if its only 91, c'mon, that's too hot.
Exactly.
RIP TOM.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
RerRibreLok

the new reality, it's inhumane fir horses to work summers but pedicabs? Wave of the future

Old 09-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
boizzones

the new reality, it's inhumane fir horses to work summers but pedicabs? Wave of the future
If you see a horse go hook itself up to a carriage and solicit people to jump in the back, you may have a point

Old 09-03-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
Doctor-CTAC

If you see a horse go hook itself up to a carriage and solicit people to jump in the back, you may have a point

I didn't know anyone was forcing people, against their will, to work a pedicab, but when I see one, I'll ask the person if he was and if so, then I'll have a problem with that, too.

Reply to Thread New Thread