LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
Wsjltrhe

Default Some network help please.
Ok... this might be long, lemon if you got the answer I'd greatly appreciate it.

I moved into my apartment 3 weeks ago, I bought a 4 port linksys wireless G 2.4 ghz router to use with out cable. Once we got our service installed I popped the router in and got it to work for 2 weeks.

Early this week we had a problem with our service, it was cutting in and out and would barely give us any upload speeds.

~ Coming out of the router, neither wireless computers would work
~ Coming out of the router, my hardwired desktop would not work.

~ Coming out of the MODEM, my hardwired desktop WOULD work.
~ Coming out of the MODEM, my hardwired laptop WOULD NOT work.

Now that the service interruption seems to be gone I can get on through the MODEM on my desktop and it will work just fine.

When I plug my router in I can get connected to my network, but I CANNOT get onto the internet.

I just talked to my brother about this, he's telling me that I need to find out the MAC address's of ALL of the computers and get the router to clone them to make the cable modem think that it's not a router, but a computer working off of it alone.

Short of going through DOS prompt to find my MAC, which WILL NOT FUCKING WORK, how the hell can I figure out what my MAC address is for each computer?

Old 04-22-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
Shark&Nike

I don't know why you would want to use the MAC addressess, theirs no need for that... if setup properly all you'd have to do is plug a computer to the router and have instant access. Can you connect to your router through IP? Is your ISP using PPPoE, if so you have to set up your modem to passthrough and give your router the login info. Maybe your router has a firewall that needs to be configured? Or both your modem and router have a firewall and one has to be turned off... Just random suggestions.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
costamarianavia

I was talking to my brother and he suggested having the router clone a PC's mac address since I can get online straight off the modem, that way the provider will think it's just a computer instead of three coming through it.

Turns out, it was pretty much the right way to go about it. I cloned my desktop MAC in my Linksys router did some other changes, and suddenly I can get on the internet through both my laptop and desktop.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #4
Gulauur

so your good then?

- i guess i dont need to tell ya about clonin lol

Old 04-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
Centurnion

Yeah. I've been fucking with this for two days now, and as soon as I post asking for help and call my brother I get it to work.

I'm gonna throw up some keywords here just in case I have this problem again. lol

Router MAC address Cloning

Old 04-23-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
PypeMaypetasy

lol

write up some post, and ill sticky it :rock

edit: hell, ill get it - im the c&t mod ill do it

Old 04-23-2006, 02:12 AM   #7
Uhmavano

I'm liking the write up thing lemon, perhaps something that gives a WHOLE overview of wireless/wired router help along with explanations of MAC/IP/Gateway/Subnet Mask addresses.

Along with how to find your computers MAC address, as well as what it does. Same goes for the IP and Gateway addresses. I have both a linksys and dlink router sitting here, so I could do screen shots of where to go to clone a MAC address for the write up as well.

We could also use the username/passwords stickied for how to get into router programming as well.

I know linksys is admin - admin, but a dlink you only put admin in the user name with no password, etc.

Perhaps we could both do a little bit of writing and join our efforts to have a pretty sweet writeup? (of course you know quite a bit more about it than I do though)

Old 04-23-2006, 02:35 AM   #8
MatueHarton

we can get that write up wned

Old 04-23-2006, 02:35 AM   #9
Adollobdeb

how would you like to divvy the work?

Old 04-23-2006, 02:53 AM   #10
CoenceLomneedtrue

Well we can both just start writing whatever, then we'll pool the work and take the best of each.

I can get the MAC address clone stuff written up with the pictures.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:28 AM   #11
Finkevannon

curious....why do this? lol

Old 04-23-2006, 05:31 AM   #12
bDvYaQfM

well, lets say you have your computer connected online.

you just bought an xbox360.

you want to connect your 360 to the xbox live service online.

but your internet service provider ( isp ) has horrible tech support.

so.. you buy a router to hook up your computer and xbox online

how ya set it up? without calling tech support?

clone the mac address of your computer ( which is currently setup ) to your router ... that will show up as the same device to your isp - but you get the benefit of not having to talk to sucky tech support

Old 04-23-2006, 05:44 AM   #13
9mm_fan

umm...or go to best buy and ask me or even better....buy a 159 dollar service for a geek squad agent (like me) to come to your house and install it for you :rock

Old 04-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #14
Unwiseevove

lol ... that service is for those who have other things ( read: they have a life ) to take care of

Old 04-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #15
zilsolley3

this is what i got so far:

routers faq

--------

what is a router?

a router is a device that is a hardware firewall between the internet and your computer | other online-enabled devices. usually though, most routers nowadays include a switch. a switch is a device that has one or more in ports, and has one or more out ports. some even have printer server services.

do i absolutely need one?

no. there are software firewalls that can be used instead of hardware firewalls. but that taxes the processor, whereas the separate firewall - the router - provides the same services but without taxing major processor cycles.

well, what can i do with one?

most use a router as a firewall. with most routers having a switch built in, many also connect internet-capable devices to it along with their computer(s). some examples of using a router:

> hooking up a game system to use it's online services for games and content, and also using the computer for its internet usage.

> hooking up more than one computer to the internet.

> hooking up a base computer ( a desktop ) and also having a laptop for moving around in the house, and also using the laptop outside. this requires a wireless router setup. see next question.

what kinds of routers are there?

well, there are two basic kinds of routers: wired and wireless. each have their advantages and disadvantages:

wired: ( only wired routers - no wireless capability )
- pros
--- garaunteed connectivity
--- good speed ( depends on internet connection )
--- ease of use ( simply plug the internet up, set up the router, setup the devices, and your good to go )
- cons
--- cant use a laptop wirelessly ( sort of obvious, but some people ....... )

wireless:
- pros
--- ease of use ( simply have the router setup to recognize your laptop's ip address, plug in the wireless pc card, and enjoy )
--- some have wired ports - see wired pros
- cons
--- not as secure ( this is usually the main issue )
--- connectivity issues ( the wireless router has only a certain range of connectivity, so to speak, but there are products to increase this range )

how much do routers cost?

well, it depends on what kind of features you want: speed ( wireless ), number of ports, looks, brand, purchase location, et cetera. ( i am a newegg fan, so sample prices are from their site - www.newegg.com ... you also might want to check with tigerdirect.com - another good site. now, if you need it right now... check your local stores - walmart, best buy, curcuit city

wired routers:

linksys ( a subsidiary of cisco ) :

- befsr41 ( 1 uplink port, 4 downlink ports ) - 49.99 @ newegg.com
- befsx41 ( 1 uplink port, 4 downlink ports, vpn endpoint shares 4th out port ) - 61.99 @ newegg.com

d-link

> di-604 ( 1 uplink port, 4 downlink ports ) - 35.99 @ newegg.com
> di-707p ( 1 uplink port, 7 downlink ports, 1 printer port [ print server ] ) - 71.99 @ newegg.com

Old 04-23-2006, 06:49 AM   #16
lopaayd

Don't you know how to use the Caps lock key or shift key + the letter.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #17
gogona

ps: i hate caps. same sound - why waste the extra effort? :tard

Reply to Thread New Thread