LOGO
USA Society
USA social debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Cersdog

Default GOP State Legislator Says Homosexuality Is More Dangerous Than Terrorism
“You know if you just look at it in practical terms, which has destroyed and ended the life of more people? Terrorism attack here in America or HIV/AIDS? In the last twenty years, fifteen to twenty years, we’ve had maybe three terrorist attacks on our soil with a little over 5,000 people regrettably losing their lives. In the same time frame, there have been hundreds of thousands who have died because of having AIDS. So which one’s the biggest threat? Read more here: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/09...han-terrorism/

Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
CDCL7WKJ

Hmmm...once again, the article doesn't say what you claim it says. IMHO, if she REALLY said what your thread title said, they would have quoted it in the article. Yet they didn't so I would venture to guess she didn't say it. She seemed to be saying that AIDS killed a lot of people and the attitutde that being gay is ok in the MSM was a daily threat to our moral wellbeing but no where in the article can I find the quote that "homsexuality is more dangerous than terrorism."

Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Mambattedge

Hmmm...once again, the article doesn't say what you claim it says. IMHO, if she REALLY said what your thread title said, they would have quoted it in the article. Yet they didn't so I would venture to guess she didn't say it. She seemed to be saying that AIDS killed a lot of people and the attitutde that being gay is ok in the MSM was a daily threat to our moral wellbeing but no where in the article can I find the quote that "homsexuality is more dangerous than terrorism."
What writer Stephen D. Foster Jr. said that Sally Kern said in the very first paragraph was as follows:

“In an interview with an anti-gay activist, Oklahoma Republican State Legislator Sally Kern stated that ‘homosexuality is more dangerous than terrorist attacks.’” He went on to state that Kern said “Her remarks come two years after remarks she made in 2008 when she said that ‘homosexuality was a bigger threat than terrorism or Islam.’”

Foster went on to directly quote Kern: “You know if you just look at it in practical terms, which has destroyed and ended the life of more people? Terrorism attack here in America or HIV/AIDS? In the last twenty years, fifteen to twenty years, we’ve had maybe three terrorist attacks on our soil with a little over 5,000 people regrettably losing their lives. In the same time frame, there have been hundreds of thousands who have died because of having AIDS. So which one’s the biggest threat?”

Of course Kern is incorrect, since there have been more terrorist attacks on our soil, with only the first four [I’m including the 1993 attack on the WTC] actually paying off to any degree. She didn’t factor in the extra-territorial attacks, so I won’t either.

As to the comparison with AIDS/HIV, she did not quantify the results to even the degree she did with the terrorist attacks – she rounded the quantity to “hundreds of thousands” – so she compared apples to oranges. She then switched to the “Morality” issue, and stuck to generalities on that subject, except that she finished her statement with the following, which does make her point: “Fortunately we don’t have to deal with a terrorist attack every day, and that’s what I mean. It’s more dangerous, and yes I think that it’s also more dangerous because it will tear down the moral fiber of this nation.”

Now. Did she come out and say exactly what Yggdrasil says that she said? No, but she wasn’t trying to muddy the waters about actual terrorist attacks, but to muddy the waters by over-generalizing her point about an attack on American morality.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
tsaaapla

So Foster SAID that she said it but when he quoted her, that isn't exactly what she said.... Was she spouting nonesense? Sure. Is she a moron? Probably. I am not sure why you say that she was comparing apples and oranges...I know the common saying but isn't comparing apples and oranges a valid comparision? So basically you just posted to show that you agreed with what I posted? I am a bit surprised that you agree with me. I also agree with you that just posting what she said would probably have been enough to spark some responses. I am not sure why Yggdrasil has such an affinity for exaggeration. Esp in a case like this where what she ACTUALLY said was inflammatory enough...

Old 09-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
prmwsinfo

Heh. Well, Sam Kinison did thank the Gay Community for introducing to us the "Black Plague of the 80's"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1nDC...eature=related

At the 5:09 mark!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Unhappu

What a Krock! What a load of Krap! Heart disease and Cancer for only two... kill more than HIV/Aids. Whatcha gonna do Miss politician... start covertly following all the guys with prostate cancer and all the ladies that have suffered mastectomies?

Don't forget all the old guys with alzheimers... now there's some dangerous dudes... for sure.

Get real, you low-level tax payer's money shill!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
grudabor

So Foster SAID that she said it but when he quoted her, that isn't exactly what she said.... Was she spouting nonesense? Sure. Is she a moron? Probably. I am not sure why you say that she was comparing apples and oranges...I know the common saying but isn't comparing apples and oranges a valid comparision? So basically you just posted to show that you agreed with what I posted? I am a bit surprised that you agree with me. I also agree with you that just posting what she said would probably have been enough to spark some responses. I am not sure why Yggdrasil has such an affinity for exaggeration. Esp in a case like this where what she ACTUALLY said was inflammatory enough...
The goal of the idea that you shouldn’t compare Apples to Oranges is that the two fruit are dissimilar in almost every way.

In discussing Terrorist Attacks, she specified a distinct number of attacks, and a reasonably rounded number of victims. Those are the Apples.

In discussing AIDS/HIV, she completely failed to state how many people have been diagnosed with AIDS/HIV – not even an approximate number - and yet gave a wildly generalized single number of victims who perished of the disease. Those are the Oranges.

If she had checked this site: http://www.healthline.com/adamcontent/aids, she could have stated the following:
“…AIDS is the fifth leading cause of death among people aged 25 - 44 in the United States, down from number one in 1995. About 25 million people worldwide have died from this infection since the start of the epidemic, and in 2006, there were approximately 40 million people around the world living with HIV/AIDS.…”

Something along these lines would have resulted in her comparing Apples to Apples, even though there still would have been some hyperbole in her statement.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
effebrala

Umm...

So which one’s the biggest threat? And you know, every day our young people, adults too, but especially our young people, are bombarded at school, in movies, in music, on TV, in the mall, in magazines, they’re bombarded with ‘homosexuality is normal and natural.’ It’s something they have to deal with every day. Fortunately we don’t have to deal with a terrorist attack every day, and that’s what I mean. It’s more dangerous, and yes I think that it’s also more dangerous because it will tear down the moral fiber of this nation.”
Sounds a lot like gay-bashing to me.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Mr_White

Perhaps if the OP had been a bit more open with his agenda for posting the thread to begin with..........................

Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Gosxjqum

The goal of the idea that you shouldn’t compare Apples to Oranges is that the two fruit are dissimilar in almost every way.
In discussing Terrorist Attacks, she specified a distinct number of attacks, and a reasonably rounded number of victims. Those are the Apples.
In discussing AIDS/HIV, she completely failed to state how many people have been diagnosed with AIDS/HIV – not even an approximate number - and yet gave a wildly generalized single number of victims who perished of the disease. Those are the Oranges.
If she had checked this site: http://www.healthline.com/adamcontent/aids, she could have stated the following:
“…AIDS is the fifth leading cause of death among people aged 25 - 44 in the United States, down from number one in 1995. About 25 million people worldwide have died from this infection since the start of the epidemic, and in 2006, there were approximately 40 million people around the world living with HIV/AIDS.…”

Something along these lines would have resulted in her comparing Apples to Apples, even though there still would have been some hyperbole in her statement.
But a comparison by the very definition points out similarities or differences thus one could legitimately compare apples and oranges. :-)

Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
cliceperperIa

Umm...

Sounds a lot like gay-bashing to me.
And? Not sure why you were replying to me...I never said it wasn't. I simply pointed out that the OP claimed a quote that wasn't in the article....

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
flower-buy

Perhaps if the OP had been a bit more open with his agenda for posting the thread to begin with..........................
Everybody has an "agenda". I doubt there's anyone here who posts just for shits and giggles. Just by writing, you're conveying a certain viewpoint and set of ideas, are you not?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
patuvammnogoo

Everybody has an "agenda". I doubt there's anyone here who posts just for shits and giggles. Just by writing, you're conveying a certain viewpoint and set of ideas, are you not?
*cough* *cough* *ahem*

Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Charryith

And? Not sure why you were replying to me...I never said it wasn't. I simply pointed out that the OP claimed a quote that wasn't in the article....
And what quote would that be? The quote in the OP appears to be pulled directly from the sourced article. I don't see anything wrong with it.

If you're referring to the thread title, there is no quote in it - there are no quotation marks. Its a paraphrase - and from what I can see - an accurate one.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
NodePark

BRUWIN........

Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
CevepBiageCefm

I think of this message board as being my own canvas, Joe Bonham. I, the painter, am a chimpanzee, and the medium I use to paint is poo. My poo, as well as the poo of the world community! It gets kinda messy there along the way, however once finished, I have created a mas-turd-piece worthy of praise from all the greats!!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
NumsAmenniams

You SIR, make a valid point.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
movlabk

But a comparison by the very definition points out similarities or differences thus one could legitimately compare apples and oranges. :-)
God you make my head hurt with your literalism

Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
Kissntell

Her linguistic tool was the Simile, which is what you use when you compare the similarities of dissimilar objects. In other words, you use a simile when you want to show how two dissimilar objects have similarities. If she had done so, she would have compared Apples to Apples, with the Apples being the similarities between the two dissimilar objects.

In her case, she failed to show the similarities between the two dissimilar objects, so her usage of the Simile form was faulty. Thus, Apples to Oranges.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
Tainlyferfara

I think my brain exploded while reading that post.

Reply to Thread New Thread