LOGO
USA Society
USA social debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
niemamczasu

Default U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...agon-confirms/

According to Pentagon spokesman Capt. John Kirby, the four unidentified troops are there working under the State Department's chief of mission to assist in rebuilding the U.S. Embassy.

Two of the military personnel are explosive-ordnance experts who will be used to disable any explosives traps left in the embassy. The other two are "general security," according to Kirby.

Obama assured Americans in March when the bombing campaign over Libya began that there would be no boots on the ground. From the East Room of the White House on March 18, he said: "The United States is not going to deploy ground troops into Libya."

Several days later at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C., he said: "I said that America's role would be limited, that we would not put ground troops into Libya, that we would focus our unique capabilities on the front end of the operation and that we would transfer responsibility to our allies and partners. Tonight, we are fulfilling that pledge."

This was the best quote:

John Bolton, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, told Fox News the fact that four troops are on the ground is "no big deal," considering the embassy had been trashed.

"You need this kind of expertise to make it safe for diplomats to return," Bolton said.

Four troops is "no big deal." What about if it turns into 100...1,000, etc?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
xiaoselangone

Uh huh, right.

What those EOD guys are REALLY doing is hooking up explosives to Khaddafi's shitter, so next time he needs to take a massive dump on his throne, he'll sneak out when nobody is looking, drop his pants to do his business, and the moment his butt cheeks make contact with the rigged toilet seat, a 10-ton TNT blast will go off for miles, leaving a crater the size of New Vegas.

You almost got us with the 'repair the embassy' story, Capt Kirby.....

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
ExpodoDop

Technically the Embassy is American soil, right? So, TECHNICALLY, those four troops aren't in Libya at all. And Embassies have Marine security forces... why is this news?

I would be much more interested to know what kind of Special Ops guys we have running around the country causing havoc. Al Jazeera claims we do, but I'm not aware of any concrete evidence for it.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
shkarpet$

Technically the Embassy is American soil, right? So, TECHNICALLY, those four troops aren't in Libya at all. And Embassies have Marine security forces... why is this news?

I would be much more interested to know what kind of Special Ops guys we have running around the country causing havoc. Al Jazeera claims we do, but I'm not aware of any concrete evidence for it.
Because what is to stop Obama from sending more and more troops there for "security." Considering that let's not forget the fact that we most likely have or had logistical support for the planes to fly there - and the fact he has yet to get Congress' approval for this action. That's what I don't like. At least Bush got Congress' approval for Iraq and Afghanistan.

You really don't think there are SF guys running around there? I bet you there are but because it's SF we're not going to know about it.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
oscilsoda

The country is in the middle of a revolution, providing security for the embassy is just common sense. In the Iranian Revolution the embassy was left unprotected, and we all know how that one turned out.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
greeferweq

The country is in the middle of a revolution, providing security for the embassy is just common sense. In the Iranian Revolution the embassy was left unprotected, and we all know how that one turned out.
If we were "just protecting the embassy" then fine but I'm pretty sure supplying them with aircraft and bombs to get rid of Gadaffi is not "just" protecting the embassy. But it's okay - I see that this president can just order military aircraft to be used without Congressional approval. He's above that - maybe the Constitution changed and somehow the executive branch's level of power increased...I must have missed that memo.

Reply to Thread New Thread