LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-21-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
Fegasderty

Default The Guardian is suing the UK Home Office for the detention of David Miranda!
David Miranda detention - latest developments and reaction

Old 08-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
9mm_fan

Its been clarified - Miranda is sueing Home Office, Guardian shows support https://twitter.com/DannyShawBBC/sta...81250930008065

Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
softy54534

Planning to sue, at least.
I think our government may find they can't get away with the same shit congress pulls in the US without reprimand. The only way this will get buried is if they are quick to summon a distraction in the press, which I almost guarantee happening in the next few days.
The Guardian is one of the few media giants in the UK still willing to dangle a toe over the line. I fear getting involved in these leaks may break them if they're not careful. I don't get why whistleblowers don't just go on Tor and post stuff to reddit.
Sorry, wandered a bit off topic there.
Edit: Thanks for the replies regarding Tor and methods of anonymous whistleblowing. I had considered the 'lack of legitimacy' issue but wasn't aware so much of Tor's compromisation (Couldn't whistleblowers use alternatives? Surely developers are one step ahead...?) or the issue of digital fingerprints being such a barrier.
Interestingly someone mentioned that Wikileaks supposedly provide this anonymity service to whistleblowers, to which I'd like to question why they then let governments sift through and remove anything that's deemed a 'national security threat'? Makes me wonder if they're controlled opposition to an extent.
Finally I'd like to elaboratr that when I said it might 'break' the Guardian I meant it might lead to a crack down on free journalism. I can see our government adopting the whole 'national security threat' excuse more often to keep themselves from being held accountable. Hopefully it will go the other way though!
A lot has been said below so please read through before just replying to this. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
Slonopotam845

I don't get why whistleblowers don't just go on Tor and post stuff to reddit.
It's a fine idea, but often there would be things linking the source to the documents they are leaking, preventing anonymity, or getting them in legal trouble.
What you would need is a site that worked with the source, or for the source, to remove any 'digital fingerprints' from documents, and help in as many ways as possible in keeping anonymity, while broadcasting to as many people as possible.
Then, also, to assure the source's safety, the site could guarantee them that if they did happen to lose their anonymity and get in trouble, that they would send world class lawyers, and even money, to help with their legal case.
And, of course, the site would have to do it all for free. And would need some real great legal and technical minds to keep it running. And have to be funded by donations, since no corporation or government would back this organization.
There already exists a site like that. That's exactly what Wikileaks is.
Coincidently, a few years ago, Julian Assange, one of the founders of the site, had a warrant put out for his arrest, as, one month after the second largest leak in military history, and two months before the largest leak in military history, two women claimed that he had raped them - one of the most character defaming, distracting, headline-grabbing, and difficult to prove, of all crimes. Very unlucky timing, hey?
EDIT: Wondering why I used the word 'distracting'? This comment is one hour old as I write this, and is parent to 17 comments about the technicalities of rape, and 0 about wikileaks.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #5
S.T.D.

The Guardian is suing the UK Home Office for the detention of David Miranda
As they should, it was truly an unbelievable act of intimidation against the media. This is something that smug British Government spokesmen would whine endlessly about if it happened in Russia or China ect.

Imagine if the Russians had detained a BBC journalist or his spouse, interrogated and threatened them with prison for nine hours and then confiscated their property.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
Ifroham4

Governments must not censor internet, says William Hague | Technology | theguardian.com

William Hague suggested that governments should not censor the Internet, a prime example of your comment
This is something that smug British Government spokesmen would whine endlessly about if it happened in Russia or China ect.
I believe our current Government are not far off being out of control, and there is no one for them to answer to. They're so smug and cocksure of everything at the moment, I do not see how they can hope to be reelected, but they must believe they will be.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
tgs

This has just gotten ridiculous. Ever since the curtain was pulled back and we all saw that there was no wizard, only a monster, governments have decided that they are just going to do whatever they want and flaunt it right in our faces.
I'm utterly disgusted at the state of the world right now.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
NeroASERCH

It could be worse, we could be completely oblivious to it.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
brraverishhh

what if we are completely oblivious to the worst of it?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
9mm_fan

Of course we are.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #11
softy54534

Wait... so what do we know 100% that the NSA is doing / has done?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #12
Slonopotam845

That's the point- we have all this info on PRISM and Xkeystroke now (and apparently more to come from the Snowden info given to the guardian) and it's probably not the worst stuff that's going on. We can't know 100% what that is until someone tells us.
But do you think every NSA contractor has access to the worst of what's going on? Hell no. And it's bad enough that the government thought giving access to PRISM and Xkeystroke to a couple hundred thousand people wasn't that big a deal. Imagine what they keep in the circle of hundreds or tens of people.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
mmnaeemnazir

Dear Sir
PFA
quickly i introduced my company , we are IT company (curiologix.com) having 12 + years experiences in filed of information technologies.

we develop on line ERP web base system ,you can manage your multi stock location ,(inventory) , Accounts payable, accounts receivable , banks , item re order on line pls click following this link
https://curioerp.com/demo/index.php
login is demo
pass is master
if you have any question pls call em any time

with regards
Naeem
ERP consultant
naeem@curiologix.com
mmnaeemnazir@gmail.com
+92-312-4160600

Old 03-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #14
mmnaeemnazir

Dear Sir
PFA
quickly i introduced my company , we are IT company (curiologix.com) having 12 + years experiences in filed of information technologies.

we develop on line ERP web base system ,you can manage your multi stock location ,(inventory) , Accounts payable, accounts receivable , banks , item re order on line pls click following this link
https://curioerp.com/demo/index.php
login is demo
pass is master
if you have any question pls call em any time

with regards
Naeem
ERP consultant
naeem@curiologix.com
mmnaeemnazir@gmail.com
+92-312-4160600

Reply to Thread New Thread