View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
bestworkothlo

Hi,

I am happy that I have choices actually. Maybe this is because growing up in communism we had no choice, and also religion was banned. This is why maybe I look at the bright side and am grateful to even have the possibility to be Orthodox and freedom to attend my Church. I am GO and my parish is GO, but I also go to the MP church nearby because I like it... it is all Orthodox to me. However I can understand Peter's feelings because I have moved a lot and I know that at first it is difficult to adjust - because of nostalgia I also romanticize many things I had in my past.

What I can recommend is to make yourself approachable, do not expect others to do what you are expected to do naturally in life (be social), do not feel embarrassed, or do not expect others to welcome you. Take matters in your hand and if you feel like it introduce yourself to others. I can tell that smiling also is contagious. Smile a lot!. It is just the beginning and things will resolve themselfes, and you will feel ok wherever you go.

Also keep in mind that you are pleasing God by going to Church, no matter where in Orthodox rich traditions. This is what counts for you and will be numbered as a good deed for you.

Also we have several memebers from Australia here. They are all lovely, wonderful people and thy will help you I am sure.

Have a blessed search

PS As Deacon Anthony above mentioned, do not try to find the perfect parish. That is setting expectations too high since parishes are people and we are all sinners.