View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #32
HondasMenFox

Hope link will help us to understand about turban

There r many statements, but without reference.!!!

Glad to know that the Sihah Sitta is not a reference.
Marfoo'Ahaadith Pertaining to the Turban:
Concerning the turban, many Ahaadith have been reported. Some are Saheeh, while others are Da'eef and yet some are Maudhoo'. In his commentary of Shamaail-e-Tirmizi, Allamah Abdur Raoof Munawi(rahmatullaialaihi) (passed away 1003 A.H.) writes: "A Turban is a Sunnah especially for salah or when worn with the intention of beautification. Many Ahaadith have been reported concerning the turban, however a lot of them are also Da'eef".

Nevertheless, their reliability and strength inreaeses due to the fact that the same Hadith has been reported through various chains of narration (i.e. the weakness found in one chain is supplemented by another chain). To consider most of the Ahaadith dealing with the Turban as Maudhoo' (fabricated) would be an error". (Footnotes of Jam 'ul Wasaail, commentary of Shamaail Tirmizi Vol. 1 Pg. 165)
The Ahaadith are as follows:

1. Hazrat 'Amr bin Umayya ad-Damuri (Radiallahu Anhu) reports: "I saw Nabi (Salllallahu Alaihi Wasallam) making masah of his Khuffain (leather socks) and turban." (Bukhari Vol.1 Pg. 33)
2. Hazrat Mughira ibn Sho'ba (Radiallahu Anhu) reports that Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) performed wudu and made Masah of the front portion of his head as well as of his turban and leather socks. (Muslim Vol. 1 Pg. 134)
3. Hazrat Huraith (Radiallahu Anhu) reports that Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) addressed the people while wearing a black turban. (Muslim Vol.1 Pg.439; Ibn Abi Shaiba Vol.8 Pg. 233)
In another narration it is reported: "I saw Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) wearing a black turban."
(Shamaail Tirmizi Pg 8; Ibn Majah Pg.256)
4. Hazrat Jaabir (Radiallahu Anhu) reports that on the occasion of Fath-e-Makkah (The Conquest of Makkah), Nabi (Sallallaliu Alaihi Wasallam) entered Makkah Mukarramah while wearing a black turban. (Muslim Vol.1 Pg. 439; Tirmizi Vol.1 Pg 304; lbnMajah Pg. 256)
5. It is also narrated from Hazrat Ibn Umar (Radiallahu Anhu) that on the occasion of Fath Makkah, Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) entered wearing a black turban. (Ibn Majah Pg. 256; lbn Abi Shaiba Vol.8 Pg. 237)
N.B.- Conclusive evidence concerning Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) wearing a black turban is attained from the above mentioned Ahaadith. Furthermore, one should note that all those narrations are of the Sahih (absolutely authentic) category.
6. Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radiallahu Anhu) reports that during the illness just prior to his passing away, Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) addressed the Sahaba while wearing a black turban.
(Bukhari Vol.1 Pg. 536; Shamaail Tirmizi Pg. 8)
7. Hazrat Abu Saeed Khudri (Radiallahu Anhu) narrates: " It was the practice of Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) that whenever he wore a new item of clothing, he would (first) take the name of it. i.e. turban or Kurta or Chaadar (cloak). Thereafter, he would make the following dua - "O Allah, I am indeed grateful to You for this clothing which You have granted me. I beg of You the virtue of it and the benefit for which it was made. I seek protection in You from its harm and from the evil which it was created for." (Tirmizi Vol.1 Pg. 306, Mustadrak Vol. 4 Pg. 192)
8. Hazrat Anas (Radiallahu Anhu) reports: "I saw Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) performing wudhu. He had on a "Qitri" turban. When performing the Masah of the head, without untying the turban, he entered his hand beneath it and made masah of the front portion of his head." (Abu Dawud Pg. 19)
"Qitri" - This is a type of thick coarse cloth which has an element of redness in it. Perhaps this is attributed to the place of "Qatar". From this narration the permissibility of wearing red turbans can be ascertained. (Bazl-ul-Majhood Vol.1 Pg. 89)
9. Abdur Rahman Sulami says: "I once saw Hazrat Abdul Rahman bin Auf (Radiallahu Anhu) enquiring from Hazrat Bilal (Radiallahu Anhu) about the wudhu of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). Hadhrat Bilal (Radiallahu Anhu) explained: "Whenever Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) wished to perform wudhu, I would bring the water for him. (During his wudhu,) he would pass his hand over his turban and also the corners of his eyes." (Abu Dawood Vol.1 Pg. 21)
From all the narrations above it is learnt that the Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) used to wear a turban.