View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
streMunford

But at the very least he appears to be competent... which is more than I can say for the other candidates.

But then again - Obama is competent too, but that doesn't make him a good president.
I'm not certain the current concept the American society in general has of a "good president" is actually the right one in the grand scheme of things. Considering all the programs, czars, and special interests that now fall under the Executive branch, I'm not sure any human could realistically perform even "competently" in every facet of our Federal government. I personally think a successful future lies in scaling that down, and I mean a lot, on virtually every front. I believe this will be inevitable in fact, the only difference is whether it becomes a path we choose of our own free will or have it forced upon us in a way that eerily resembles the fall of the Soviet Union. We as a people are coming to the realization that there are not actually four freedoms that all of humanity are entitled to, it is much more likely to become two opposing two. I have to ask people, when has anyone felt really free from want or from fear? Then to what extent would you sacrifice your personal liberty to achieve such ends? Haven't our government's policies since then achieved nearly the precise opposite, or at the very least have had a null effect?