View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
MyOwnStyle

I guess, i don't know enough about the issue or about the owners of DS, and i certainly applaud what PAWS (where we buy our cat's food and always leave a few extra bucks when we do) and the PSPCA do on a day to day basis, but I don't think I get the vitriol.

In the next couple of years, I will likely be in the market for a dog (we currently have an old shelter cat who hates other animals). I don't want a pit bull. I know, they are great, have a bad rap, etc. and i have known some sweet pit bulls, but I don't want one. I don't think that makes me a bad person. So my choices are either try and get one of the very few non-pitts that are available for adoption, or get a dog from a reputable breeder, or not get a dog at all.

So I guess the question is, in my situation, how is getting an unwanted dog from the South a bad thing? Obviously if they are just enabling puppy mills that's bad. But isn't any unwanted pup an unwanted pup? There are more unwanted animals than people who want them, so isn't it worth trying to increase the number of adopters (i.e. people who won't adopt at all if there only choice is a pitt bull or an older dog, which is a lot of people) by increasing the availability of the high demand dogs?
Like someone else mentioned above, there are breed rescues for basically every breed out there from shi tzus to Great Danes though, so you really don't have to settle for a pittie from the shelter or a breeder for tons of money or support a puppy mill. The breed rescues work with rescues from other parts of the country, so you might be adopting a dog that isn't from this area. Which is fine of course. An unwanted bishon from Richmond, VA has as much of a right to find a family as an unwanted pitbull from Port Richmond. But breed rescues are still rescues. The uproar over Operation Ava seems to be that the owners might not be rescuing dogs and adopting them out, but profiting off of dogs.