View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
Goodwin

In the next couple of years, I will likely be in the market for a dog (we currently have an old shelter cat who hates other animals). I don't want a pit bull. I know, they are great, have a bad rap, etc. and i have known some sweet pit bulls, but I don't want one. I don't think that makes me a bad person. So my choices are either try and get one of the very few non-pitts that are available for adoption, or get a dog from a reputable breeder, or not get a dog at all.So I guess the question is, in my situation, how is getting an unwanted dog from the South a bad thing? Obviously if they are just enabling puppy mills that's bad. But isn't any unwanted pup an unwanted pup? There are more unwanted animals than people who want them, so isn't it worth trying to increase the number of adopters (i.e. people who won't adopt at all if there only choice is a pitt bull or an older dog, which is a lot of people) by increasing the availability of the high demand dogs?
...Or go to Petfinder.com and search for the type of dog you are looking for. There are a zillion rescues that have dogs for adoption so I'm sure you will find something. And no it is not a bad thing rescuing a dog from the south. As long as you are saving a life and not contributing to the horrendous puppy mill industry then it is a good thing. But there seems to be more to the story with this particular organization.