View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
Si8jy8HN

I guess, i don't know enough about the issue or about the owners of DS, and i certainly applaud what PAWS (where we buy our cat's food and always leave a few extra bucks when we do) and the PSPCA do on a day to day basis, but I don't think I get the vitriol.

In the next couple of years, I will likely be in the market for a dog (we currently have an old shelter cat who hates other animals). I don't want a pit bull. I know, they are great, have a bad rap, etc. and i have known some sweet pit bulls, but I don't want one. I don't think that makes me a bad person. So my choices are either try and get one of the very few non-pitts that are available for adoption, or get a dog from a reputable breeder, or not get a dog at all.

So I guess the question is, in my situation, how is getting an unwanted dog from the South a bad thing? Obviously if they are just enabling puppy mills that's bad. But isn't any unwanted pup an unwanted pup? There are more unwanted animals than people who want them, so isn't it worth trying to increase the number of adopters (i.e. people who won't adopt at all if there only choice is a pitt bull or an older dog, which is a lot of people) by increasing the availability of the high demand dogs?
It's not a bad thing. You would be better off going to a breed specific rescue, there are many around here and around the country. When getting a dog it is best to know who you are and what the breed characteristics are. Even if you get a mixed breed you can usually guess as to the temperament. e.g. terriers are wonderful dogs but are called terrors for a good reason. They are independent, very energetic and require an owner to really stay on top of the training or they will walk all over them. Are you energetic, willing to get the dog daily exercise, do you mind barking.. etc. When i was looking for a dog i took this quiz, it was very helpful.

Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector

Gave me a list of the top dogs that matched my lifestyle and i ended up with a dog around #9. It has been a very good match. It took me a year asking the breeder questions and them asking me and i felt they were reputable. Choosing a breeder is important, you need to be asking a lot of questions and if you can go visit the mother and place the breeder uses. The breeder should be asking as many questions of you as you do of them.

I would be the wrong person to have a pitt bull. Neither of us would be happy and no it does not make anyone a bad person not getting one. The point with this shelter is it bills itself as a rescue and there are so many dogs here to be rescued. If the chain used it's stores to advertise whatever dogs they pull from ACCT they could place a lot of dogs regardless of breed. The fact that they import fluffy little dogs (i have two by the way) indicates the priority is to make a buck. that coupled with this chain's practices in other areas is cause for concern. Rescuing a dog from anywhere is a great thing. People drive dogs to homes all over the country. that's not really the issue. I guess it is that as part of the community the "shelter" they have built is large and could accomodate and do a lot but by not using the dogs that are here and being tiny breed specific. It shows get low sell high... does that make sense?

If a scotty dog was right for you and you found one in say, florida that was in a shelter - go for it! Couldn't be a better thing to do.

Does that answer your question?

P.s. Some breed specific rescues can be a real pain in the ass. Ask you everything but your blood type and want to inspect your house. I tried to rescue a dog in the breed appropriate to me for two years with out luck. No one would let me have any dog.. even a tiny lap dog, without a back yard. CRAZY! That question came up and the phone went down. Start with pet finder and you will see dogs from all over the country or come on here and someone will help. I like "Chic Petique" in Northern liberties, they rescue cats and dogs. the owner lindsay is very knowledgable and could point you in the right direction. (she started her store because her dog was dying and the vet said there was no hope. She changed his diet and the dog lived. She wanted to educate people on dog food and care. And while her business is successful, its not out to profit off of the dogs without caring for them. Does that make sense.)