View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #16
LOVEBoy

as for breed-specific rescues, they are great, but they are also small and run by people who are sometimes not so efficient. I am dealing with one now and they are not exactly the easiest people to work with, although I have no doubt that they love their dogs and take good care of them, but getting them to return a phone call is like pulling teeth. If I saw a rescue doggie in a window that was the breed I wanted today and he/she was ready to be adopted I don't see why some activist should interfere with that choice because the process isn't "pure" enough for them.
What type of dog are you looking for? There are several small breed dogs at ACCT right now. Check the dog bust thread in the south philly section. Someone posted a few on there and new dogs come in everyday. I agree some rescues can be difficult to deal. They are run by volunteers, (many who have full time jobs and families) and some have strict application processes, but if you are a good candidate and patient, you should be able to find a dog. Good luck and I hope it doesn't deter you from adopting!
As for the criticism of DS, it has nothing to do with interfering with your choice of dog. It has to do with supporting an industry that profits off of animal cruelty and then in turn making more profit for their company under the guise of rescuing.