View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 AM   #18
BigBobdd

I see no problem whatsoever with rescuing an animal from the South rather than from here. It was still in need of a home. The dog is just happy that it has a home. A life was saved -- that's what's important.

Another issue people seem to have with Doggie Style (and ONLY DS) is the adoption fee that they charge. Second Time Around, Home At Last, and Adopt a Boxer (to name just three) all have adoption fees of approximately $200 to $300 -- yet when DS charges $300, they're "masquerading" as a non-profit.

I'm not saying I'm pro-Operation Ava, and I've never shopped at Doggie Style. I just have a problem with some of the arguments against DS.
my feelings exactly.

if they are "importing fluffy little dogs" who need rescuing because they are popular city dogs and are more likely to find a home here than say, in the rural south where they may want a dog who hunts and runs around outdoors, what exactly is the problem with that?

their adoption fees are exactly the same as any of the breed-specific rescues I've dealt with. so the "make a buck" argument doesn't really fly here.

as for the window, I don't like it myself, but if a dog more likely to find a home by spending a few days hanging out in a window play area in Rittenhouse Square than months in a cage in Hunting Park I can see the cost/benefit working out for the dog.