View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #14
rushiddink

Everyone:

WRT late-term abortions, here's something that often weighs on my mind: A lot of people say they're pro-life and whatnot, which is admirable. But does that sentiment remain firmly in place when it comes to one's wallet?

From what I understand, most (but not all) of late-term abortions are done because it's determined that the fetus cannot survive outside the womb or, if it can, would lead a life that would be far, far from enjoyable. IOW, it would cost society a lot of money in order not only to keep that child medically sound, but to also keep its parents out of the poorhouse.

Let's say late-term abortion is outlawed across the board. Babies with birth defects are born by the thousands, many into households that cannot afford them or, worse, simply don't love them enough to give a damn to spend the time and money it would take to properly raise a child with "special needs."

Would we, as a society, be willing to step forward and pay whatever it takes to ensure that those children could lead as full of lives as medically possible? Would we be willing to pay more in taxes, fees and whatnot in order to keep the mothers and fathers of those children out of the aforementioned poorhouse?

I ask because I suspect the answers would expose the true pro-life people from those who are simply pro-life on the surface.

As for me, well, I don't like abortion. But, darn it, I don't like nanny-state government, either. If folks don't want to deal with an unintended pregnancy, either use protection, adopt the child out or wait until one's in a solid relationship before engaging in a sexual relationship.

One thing's for sure: Abortion is far from being a black-and-white topic. It's painfully sensitive, IMO.

Gatekeeper