View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
drycleden

That should be the point of the law. But when you read these laws, they're laughable. The drug-testing regimens are totally ineffective. Worthless. And here's the problem, a real, effective testing program that would have any chance of making a difference would cost thousands of dollars a year per person once you throw in tracking and administrative costs. I just don't see that as fiscally responsible. Look at the proposed law in PA--not only doesn't it specify a cost or a funding method, it doesn't even lay out a testing protocol. It just says "go forth and test!" How is that in any way responsible legislation?
I wasn't defending it (I personally think they will just be money pits of bureaucracy with minimal net positive effects), but hey, I am all for other states performing the experiment on their dime to prove or disprove the policy - the beauties of federalism. I was merely pointing out that the complaint against the program [negative impacts of doing drugs] would actually be a feature, not a bug. Arguing against it because "it will punish people for doing drugs", isn't going to sway support against since that is what the intent is.