View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #28
Kolovorotkes

[QUOTE=ArcticSplash;359217]States seek to link public assistance, drug testing - USATODAY.com

"Can't pass a drug test? No more benefits for you."

Except, that ain't the way it works. It's a great hede for a knee-jerk reaction, but it ain't the reality. Kentucky & Missouri have Bills (Proposals) written, but not yet acted on. Another reality is that most folks in TANF who also are enrolled in "welfare to work" programs (and there are many), are already drug tested by the non-profit (or other entity that runs that work program).
The other reality is - at least as outlined in Missouri's Proposal - is that the expected first year costs are expected to be $1.9 million and it increases each year after that. And do you for one fleeting moment, even believe that those administrative costs would be recouped by the numbers that might get kicked off welfare? If you believe they will, I have a bridge to sell you. Not too mention the fact that the good old boy network will see to it that the drug testing labs go to more good old boys. So, great knee-jerk stuff, until you look at reality.
And then there is the Constitutional Issue, the ACLU will be on this like "white on rice." And no, I ain't on welfare or any other dole. I'm a 73 year old guy who makes it as best he can on social security.

But, here's a guy that says it much better than I.

One Pissed Off Veteran: Drug Testing for All Welfare Recipients?