View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
vicgirl

Originally posted by Ned

Now, this is all true. The admin tried to show links between AQ and Saddam to support its argument that Saddam's possession of WMD was a threat to the US because he could give them to AQ. Cheney did emphasize the purported discussion between on of the AQ 'jackers and Saddam's intelligence in Czechoslovakia, IIRC, but to support the point that Saddam and AQ had contacts and were working together.

Neither Bush nor Powell nor Rice ever argued that we needed to go after Saddam because he was behind 9/11, nor do I recall the administration ever saying that Saddam was behind 9/11. The opponents of the admin, including the NYT, said that the 9/11 commission had "refuted" the administrations claims of an operational link between Saddam and AQ. The problem with this is that the administration never claimed an operational link, but contacts and possible support, which the 9/11 commission agreed the evidence supported.

What it comes down to is that there are repeated accusations that Bush lied to us about Saddam being behind 9/11, when Bush never claimed this at all. It is pure BS. It is pure crap. It is propaganda.

The next time someone says this, I would like a direct quote from Bush or Powell and not from an anti-Bush source. The Bush Administration never openly said Saddam had something to do with 9/11, but their lackeys on Faux Nooze and AM talk radio pushed that BS as hard as they could. I STILL run into ignorant morons that think Sadarm was involved in 9/11 and that meme surely didn't pop out of thin air.