LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
AgindyMinnife

Default What is considered 'good' or 'nice' hair in the USA by the black populace?
I'm curious. From my research in the Caribbean, on what many of the locals consider to be good, I found that 'good' or 'nice' hair for them ranges from this:

to this:

They seemed to have a preference for very dark hair. Just what I saw anyway. Is this the same for Afams and Afro Canad's?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
G778G9P0

Anyone?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
jeargefef

Here was a thread about "good hair" just a while ago. Let's just say it didn't end well, so I think this tread will be ignored to avoid the same things happening all over again. Just saying.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
vforvandetta

Good hair to an Afram woman down here is basically hair that is long thick and undamaged. The more hair you have the better. Straight hair textures aren't as prized as in other places in the US. The only people who wear weaves are those whose hair doesn't grow very long, the same can be said for women who get their hair permed. When straightened Afro hair doubles or triples in length.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
phenterminediett

Good hair to an Afram woman down here is basically hair that is long thick and undamaged. The more hair you have the better. Straight hair textures aren't as prized as in other places in the US. The only people who wear weaves are those whose hair doesn't grow very long, the same can be said for women who get their hair permed. When straightened Afro hair doubles or triples in length.
Cool.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Michmant

I think there was a movie called Good Hair or something. I think Chris Rock was in it.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Klavalala

not a clue

Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Dwerfsd

Good hair is hair that is not completely kinky, tightly coiled, and wooly. It is basically hair that is curly, similar to Allen Payne

This man has what black people call "good hair", as it is not the texture of carpet. A little softer, a little more loose. I don't think that straight hair qualifies as good hair, as it is not really in the afram spectrum but of other races entirely

And for women, good hair would be hair that is easier to manage/relax, but they all pretty much relax or wear weave regardless of how good their hair may be

Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
allaboutauto.us

What about the hair of the little sudanese kid I posted?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
vigraxtru

Any hair noticeably deviant from nappy hair.

Some consider hair good that isn't straight enough for others to consider it good.

In this sense good is like the term [extra] white [complection] when said by white people or the word tall in general in that the term is a relative word.

Nappy Hair

Incase anyone doesn't know what Nappy hair is, (a 'stinkeeieiy' .. in duh U.K. -- a sleepyyyy here j/k) it's afro type hair, hair that can catch itself, it's past curly it's cringled and tangles up in itself naturally.

Yeah, so in recap hair at all noticeably different, say it's extra curly or soft, can in pass be said to be 'good' hair. However, comparatively, another person might say of that head with respect to another head with (randomly) say wavy-straight kinda frizzled hair "that ain't good hair, now that's good hair".

So .. yeah.

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 00:55 ----------

Obviously also any hair that can be said to have ANY positives about it at all (like permable) as well, as Soul let's you know in the fourth comment and I alluded to with "soft".

Here was a thread about "good hair" just a while ago. Let's just say it didn't end well, so I think this tread will be ignored to avoid the same things happening all over again. Just saying.
Heavens, this is a simple thread, not our problem some people don't seem like they'll ever be able to comprehend how to go into a thread and not shit-sling.

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 01:00 ----------

Here was a thread about "good hair" just a while ago.
I know, right? More like just a minute ago. I do not really remember it ending badly but then perhaps I do not remember reading the whole thing. Perhaps these threads should be merged.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
PickEmUp

Any hair noticeably deviant from nappy hair.

Some consider hair good that isn't straight enough for others to consider it good.

In this sense good is like the term [extra] white [complection] when said by white people or the word tall in general in that the term is a relative word.

Nappy Hair

Incase anyone doesn't know what Nappy hair is, (a 'stinkeeieiy' .. in duh U.K. -- a sleepyyyy here j/k) it's afro type hair, hair that can catch itself, it's past curly it's crinkled and tangles up in itself naturally.

Yeah, so in recap hair at all noticeably different, say it's extra curly or soft, can in pass be said to be 'good' hair. However, comparatively, another person might say of that head with respect to another head with (randomly) say wavy-straight kinda frizzled hair "that ain't good hair, now that's good hair".

So .. yeah.
Cool story bro. I have the hair of the first kid above, and it gets weird when people say, "he has some really nice hair," and they proceed to touch it. This is turn builds up a kind of superiority complex in some individuals. This constant appraisal for something they have no control over. Surprisingly though if you were to tell one of these (usually middle aged to old) women to politely bugger off, they'd take it as a sign of disrespect. Weirdos, 'tis what I call 'em.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
r7rGOhvd

They also make snide comments like, "where did he get it from? Are those his real parents?" When I explain to them about how genes can be recessive, they usually give a stupid remark.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
velichay

People have told me I have "good hair" and some have even excused me of wearing weaves.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
Hmntezmb

Heavens, this is a simple thread, not our problem some people don't seem like they'll ever be able to comprehend how to go into a thread and not shit-sling.

I know, right? More like just a minute ago. I do not really remember it ending badly but then perhaps I do not remember reading the whole thing. Perhaps these threads should be merged.
true, i just remember the previous thread going down the drain once some individuals started with their eurocentric ideas about what's good hair lets hope this thread doesn't end up in Mordor too.

but back to the topic, healthy hair is good hair. Some of the black posters wear their natural hair and not weaves and their hairs look real good cos they know how to maintain it well. So it's fair to say that there are blacks that consider their natural hair to be good hair too

Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
feAilei1

true, i just remember the previous thread going down the drain once some individuals started with their eurocentric ideas about what's good hair
Blacks themselves have these eurocentric ideas about good hair...

Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
Kinds Of Pain Meds

Oh Lord, here we go again...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #17
Kafuuil

Lol.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #18
cajonnmu

loose curl

basically the texture of hair that mixed race people have is what people consider "good hair" in the Black community

Reply to Thread New Thread