LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
wasssallx

Default Glenn Beck defends racial term
Glenn Beck: Term 'Colored' Is 'Not A Bad Thing,' 'African American' Is 'Ridiculously Stupid'

Glenn Beck blasted the use of the term "African American" in favor of "black" and "colored" on his radio show on Tuesday.

The radio host was reflecting on his Restoring Courage rally in Jerusaleum, where he said the term African American did not apply. He asked his co-host Pat Gray, "Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you feel ridiculously stupid everywhere in Africa, in Europe, in South America, in Jerusaleum when you would say the words African American?"

Beck asked, "Now how can people be one thing in one country and nowhere else in the world?" (Perhaps because the term "African American" only applies to people from the United States?)

When Gray asked what the right term was, Beck responded, "It's black!" and repeated the word "black" three times to reiterate his point.

Beck insisted that "colored" was a better term, saying, "It's not a bad thing, only here. Why are we made to feel bad?" He held up South Africa, where apartheid was repealed just twenty-one years ago, as an example for Americans to follow. He said, "In South Africa, it's 'black' and 'colored.'"

He even found the term insulting to American patriotism. "You weren't over in Africa. Your great great grandfather was, your great great great grandfather may have been, but you weren't," he said. "Sure, this country sucked for blacks. Sucked. Beyond sucked, for a long time. But it doesn’t now. It doesn’t now. Be proud to be an American,"

This isn't the first time that Beck tore into using the term African-American. He called the term "bogus, PC, made-up" and "not a race" in January 2010.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_942441.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just call people "black" and I've never had problems. To me it makes more sense to call someone who immigrated to the US from Africa, an "African American" but a black person who's family has been there for a long time and who's ancestors help build, as well as fought and died for the country, a true blue American.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
BUMbaronos

I don't know about "colored" but I agree "black" is fine. Pretty bizarre coming from Glenn Beck

Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Veveseinlep

Glenn Beck is a nobody know, his crazy rantings are no longer relevent.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
doogiehoussi

Somehow I agree with him. African American should be the African immigrants to the USA. No one calls Whites "European American". They are Black Americans.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
Poothevokprot

Somehow I agree with him. African American should be the African immigrants to the USA. No one calls Whites "European American". They are Black Americans.
This

Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
Snitiendumurn

why doesn't any one bring these arguments up about the terms "hispanic" and "latino" !? Which are even more ridiculous! At least African American points to your ancestry coming from Africa unlike the former.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #7
frkksptn

why doesn't any one bring these arguments up about the terms "hispanic" and "latino" !? Which are even more ridiculous! At least African American points to your ancestry coming from Africa unlike the former.
I can call myself hispanic, because I have ancestors form Iberia, Canaries and Italy alongside the Taino and West African(Also Euro cover a lot of my ancestry)

Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 AM   #8
LookSe

I can call myself hispanic, because I have ancestors form Iberia, Canaries and Italy alongside the Taino and West African(Also Euro cover a lot of my ancestry)
Yeah but what about those people who are predominantly African and Native American? There are millions of people who barely have Euro ancestry who are mislabeled with this erroneous term.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #9
Narus63

Yeah but what about those people who are predominantly African and Native American? There are millions of people who barely have Euro ancestry who are mislabeled with this erroneous term.
That dpends, if they are linguisticallly and culturally hispanic, then that would apply to them on that sense, butnot racially, also it is their decision, perhaps the Natives and Blacks who live their own ancestrla cultures won't accept that label.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
GlarlraTpople

That dpends, if they are linguisticallly and culturally hispanic, then that would apply to them on that sense, butnot racially, also it is their decision, perhaps the Natives and Blacks who live their own ancestrla cultures won't accept that label.
See how much the hispanic/latino label is defended and yet they say the term African American isn't valid. Most people who are called hispanic/latino or call themselves that weren't even born in a Spanish speaking country; some can't even speak Spanish. They're American!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #11
Petwrenny

See how much the label is defended and yet they say the term African American isn't valid. Most people who are called or call themselves that weren't even born in a Spanish speaking country; some can't even speak Spanish. They're American!
You can see videos of people protesting in YT about it, but I don't know, I think "Hispanics" like that label or Americans doesn't have a problem with that label.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
Jourgenz

You can see videos of people protesting in YT about it, but I don't know, I think "Hispanics" like that label or Americans doesn't have a problem with that label.
At least African Americans have American in their title....2nd and 3rd generation Americans being called "Hispanic/Latino" is ridiculous. How does Amerikkka expect us to be American if we are constantly referred to as non-American.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #13
RicardoHun

At least African Americans have American in their title....2nd and 3rd generation Americans being called "Hispanic/Latino" is ridiculous. How does Amerikkka expect us to be American if we are constantly referred to as non-American.
We are also called Latin Americans, other label themselves as Chicano and anything like.Hispanic American is also used.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
Evsltkzl

We are also called Latin Americans, other label themselves as Chicano and anything like.Hispanic American is also used.
It's ridiculous Jibaro. Most Americans would think a PR is an immigrant because they group all Spanish speakers the same. Ignorant fools don't know a PR is an American just like them.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #15
DoctorIrokezov

It's ridiculous Jibaro. Most Americans would think a PR is an immigrant because they group all Spanish speakers the same. Ignorant fools don't know a PR is an American just like them.
well, we are legal inmigrants, as we moved from here to there, we aren't considered American per se because we don't have it by ancestry and blood like whites and black, we just have the citizenship.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #16
c2siOlIk

well, we are legal inmigrants, as we moved from here to there, we aren't considered American per se because we don't have it by ancestry and blood like whites and black, we just have the citizenship.
well they don't think you guys are legal citizens.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #17
AllAdobeOEMSoftDownload

well they don't think you guys are legal citizens.
Yes, they do, if you say you are PR, then yes, they will know it, but they won't treat you as euqual as you aren't ancestrally American like them, the think of us as bastard brothers or something like it.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #18
Calluffence

Yes, they do, if you say you are PR, then yes, they will know it, but they won't treat you as euqual as you aren't ancestrally American like them, the think of us as bastard brothers or something like it.
I'm saying without you saying you're PR. You not going to wear a PR sign on your forehead everywhere you go for people to know you're PR. Down here they might actually call you Cuban first as this is what Anglophones think you are when you speak Spanish in Miami.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 AM   #19
NodePark

I'm saying without you saying you're PR. You not going to wear a PR sign on your forehead everywhere you go for people to know you're PR. Down here they might actually call you Cuban first as this is what Anglophones think you are when you speak Spanish in Miami.
Neither I wil know if someone is Mexican if they don't tell me, they aren't fortunetellers.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #20
jeraveike

Neither I wil know if someone is Mexican if they don't tell me, they aren't fortunetellers.
And Black people call themselves AFrican American because they are americans with Ancestry from Africa who's ancestors were brought to the United states through slavery.

Reply to Thread New Thread