LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
bloriMal

Default Are there a lot of US soldiers marrying Iraqi girls?
It's question mainly for the american on that forum .

I mean in other wars, american soldiers married local girls like French, English, German and Japanese during WW2, or vietnamese during vietnam war .

But I never heard about a mariage between an american soldier and an iraqi girl .

Another question . If some american marry iraqi girls . How would they treat in US ? Would they victim of lot of prejudices or racism ? Does the american would be consider by others as a traitor to his nation ? Does the iraqi women would be integrate ?

I have peoples in my family who lives in usa , and they tend to be racist about iraqi , and if they aren't they tend to talked about them with scorn manner . They said to me most of peoples wouldn't like their son would marry a iraqi girl .

Just want to know if some americans the forum have heard about US soldiers/iraqi women wedding , or Us female soldiers and iraqi men wedding

Old 08-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
KlaraNovikoffaZ

My American grandfather married my Japanese grandmother during occupation after WW2. They faced a crap load of racism from both sides of the family.

I have seen a couple of news stories about US soldiers marrying Iraqi girls they met. It sounded like it was strongly discouraged by the military leadership.

I have also bumped into some Army guys here in the States, at a Turkish restaurant (probably no coincidence), who were talking about friends from their deployment who married Kurdish girls.

Honestly I think that military guys who marry foreign women don't really give a shit what their families or racists in the general public think about it. Depending on where they live, either they will be treated with racism or they won't. It also works the other way, i.e. Arabs will look down on that Iraqi woman for marrying an American soldier.

I have a picture of my grandparents at dinner with like 20 people back in the 50's. It is all military guys and their wives. At one end of the table is my grandparents, along with the one black guy and his wife. The rest of the table is all white people. I guess that end of the table was like the back of the bus.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
Accecyncphory

most iraqis are muslims so it would be very rare but I guess some assyrians would marry iraqi soldiers

Old 08-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
infarrelisam

most iraqis are muslims so it would be very rare but I guess some assyrians would marry iraqi soldiers
Actually I think they convert to Christianity or else their husbands are secular athiest / agnostic types in the first place.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
vNZsk39B

Actually I think they convert to Christianity or else their husbands are secular athiest / agnostic types in the first place.
for a muslim is very difficult to convert to christinaism because christinaism means "shirk" which is considered the wrost sin in islam so i guess If a soldier wants to marry an iraqi he has to convert to islam or pretend it

Old 08-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #6
Gerribase

for a muslim is very difficult to convert to christinaism because christinaism means "shirk" which is considered the wrost sin in islam so i guess If a soldier wants to marry an iraqi he has to convert to islam or pretend it
Well it may depend on whether her father and brothers are still alive and pose some sort of threat, if you know what I mean.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
DextExexy

My American grandfather married my Japanese grandmother during occupation after WW2. They faced a crap load of racism from both sides of the family.

I have seen a couple of news stories about US soldiers marrying Iraqi girls they met. It sounded like it was strongly discouraged by the military leadership.

I have also bumped into some Army guys here in the States, at a Turkish restaurant (probably no coincidence), who were talking about friends from their deployment who married Kurdish girls.

Honestly I think that military guys who marry foreign women don't really give a shit what their families or racists in the general public think about it. Depending on where they live, either they will be treated with racism or they won't. It also works the other way, i.e. Arabs will look down on that Iraqi woman for marrying an American soldier.

I have a picture of my grandparents at dinner with like 20 people back in the 50's. It is all military guys and their wives. At one end of the table is my grandparents, along with the one black guy and his wife. The rest of the table is all white people. I guess that end of the table was like the back of the bus.
Very interessant . America of the 50's was very racist that would explain they way was treat your grandparents, but actual america seem to be more tolerant, but I dont know , that probably depend of the person, they don't seem to be tolerant with mexicans . I heard they are a lot of muslim in Usa

I was thinking to the cultural gap , not that different in my opinion , except among extremist muslims and extremist christians . In Western world , men who marry muslim women tend to convert to islam , in France it's okay , peoples don't care .

But How would consider by other americans , an american who will decide to convert to islam ? And how would consider a muslim iraqi who decide to become christian, by other iraqi and by others christian ?

Old 08-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
XangadsX

Absolutely not. Middle Easternern women very rarely mix outside of their race, it is only common for the men to marry outside of their group since it is considered more acceptable and even then that is not so common.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
ulnanVti

Absolutely not. Middle Easternern women very rarely mix outside of their race, it is only common for the men to marry outside of their group since it is considered more acceptable and even then that is not so common.
It depends, lots of North African women marry Middle Eastern men whereas the opposite never happens.

But I can't understand how Iraqi girls could marry to their enemies, it seems unbelievable and immoral.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #10
Domovoy

It depends, lots of North African women marry Middle Eastern men whereas the opposite never happens.

But I can't understand how Iraqi girls could marry to their enemies, it seems unbelievable and immoral.
Never? I know a few Moroccan men married to levantines (e.g., Lebs, Palestinians, etc). Also personally have known many Iranian/north African mixes (these are especially common). I go online and always find an Iranian female looking to have a custom Moroccan wedding because she's marrying one (they're usually from Canada, the Netherlands, or the UK).

I'll admit I've never heard of a north African male married to a gulf Arab female though. But north African male/middle eastern female unions aren't that uncommon overall.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
fedelwet

Never? I know a few Moroccan men married to levantines (e.g., Lebs, Palestinians, etc). Also personally have known many Iranian/north African mixes (these are especially common). I go online and always find an Iranian female looking to have a custom Moroccan wedding because she's marrying one (they're usually from Canada, the Netherlands, or the UK).

I'll admit I've never heard of a north African male married to a gulf Arab female though. But north African male/middle eastern female unions aren't that uncommon overall.
Yeah Morrocans are more exogamic than other Maghrebians so it can be true but in Algeria that's almost exclusively women who do marry Middle-Eastern except for some Levantine women (Lebanese and Palestinians) but that's still uncommon.

However those marrying who wed Khaleeji are usually professional gold diggers or Burqa women, not a big loss.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
leijggeds

From my experience, very few American soldiers have married Iraqi women mainly because of religion as an earlier poster said

Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #13
SerycegeBunny

In Brazil (and Argentina and Latin America in general) this problem with marrying Middle Easterners didn't happen. Even Muslim Middle Easterners didn't have problems with nonbelievers marrying their daughters.

From this very interesting news piece (read it if you understand Portuguese: http://www.publico.pt/Mundo/reportag..._1464002?all=1), the story of a Brazilian-Lebanese woman called Leila Mohammed Youssef Kuczynski, who eventually married a Polish-Jewish Brazilian:

"My father, who was a devout Muslim, had an open spirit. In the communities of the rural areas religion was never a problem. Men played cards, women cooked and I never knew who was Christian or Muslim. What united us is that we were all Arabs, traders, speaking the same language in a different country." This even led to Leila being baptized, due to a request of a Christian friend of her father. "He asked my father: 'Can I baptize your daughter?'. Therefore, ever since I was young I had connections everywhere". Leila also studied in a nun school. "My father was never opposed. He always said: 'God is only one, there are several paths'".
She also says that she has a male cousin married to a Japanese Brazilian woman and a female cousin married to a Korean Brazilian man.

Further down the text, there's the story of CecÃ*lia Ben David, a Jewish Brazilian (her family is from Lithuania, but she has several relatives in Israel). She says that one of her daughters is married to a Japanese Brazilian man that refused to convert to Judaism, and that she has two mixed race granddaughters.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
maonnjtip

It is easier if you are a member of their religion. Sometimes you just get lucky.

History shows it to be common. The Romans, the Vikings, the Spanish, and yes, the Arabs are known for having intermarried with local populations. That's why many of the Middle Eastern and North African nations speak Arabic in the first place.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
OWV9LSxH

It is easier if you are a member of their religion. Sometimes you just get lucky.

History shows it to be common. The Romans, the Vikings, the Spanish, and yes, the Arabs are known for having intermarried with local populations. That's why many of the Middle Eastern and North African nations speak Arabic in the first place.
not in North Africa we haven't arab admixture

---------- Post added 2011-08-20 at 11:41 ----------

Yeah Morrocans are more exogamic than other Maghrebians so it can be true but in Algeria that's almost exclusively women who do marry Middle-Eastern except for some Levantine women (Lebanese and Palestinians) but that's still uncommon.

However those marrying who wed Khaleeji are usually professional gold diggers or Burqa women, not a big loss.
I think Maghrebis in general are seen more like Iranians and Turks we're not considered the same as Middle Easterns/Egyptians in the Middle East we're our own thing which is actually true but tell that to Casablancans who're more panarabist than Saudis

Old 08-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #16
Rugda

I dont think they are seeing how Iraqis are muslim

Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #17
myspacecoo

not in North Africa we haven't arab admixture

---------- Post added 2011-08-20 at 11:41 ----------

I think Maghrebis in general are seen more like Iranians and Turks we're not considered the same as Middle Easterns/Egyptians in the Middle East we're our own thing which is actually true but tell that to Casablancans who're more panarabist than Saudis
I like Moroccan women. You may not have Arab admixture, but I might take a trip to Morocco with a friend to meet their relatives.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #18
Britiobby

I like Moroccan women. You may not have Arab admixture, but I might take a trip to Morocco with a friend to meet their relatives.
what part of Morocco is your friend from?

Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #19
SpecialOFFER

You also have Christian Iraqis (though only 3%).

Also, I have spoken to a half Iraqi girl once. Her mother was Belgian (Dutch) and her father Iraqi.
She didn't wear a veil, but she told me she normally wears it (we were both waiting to take an exam, and she was allowed to wear it there but the didn't). She also wore tight jeans and very clothed in a western fashion.
Anyway, she's raised Muslim. Her mother might be a convert or one who pretends to be one. Oh yeah, she was also married while she was only 19 or so (my guess).

Old 08-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
yharmon6614

Any Iraqi Muslim Women who marries a US Soldier who is not Muslim has basically sealed her fate. Only choice she has is to Flee Iraq. No Muslim is allowed to marry a Non-Muslim.

Reply to Thread New Thread