LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #61
iNYZgxNC

According to Pro-footballreference.com, Polamalu wasn't even the best player in the NFL this year. that would have been Clay Matthews, according to their 'approximate value' formula.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...10/leaders.htm
I know Id rather have sebastian Volmer than Aaron Rodgers

Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #62
astonmartinrx371

I know Id rather have sebastian Volmer than Aaron Rodgers
take it with a grain of salt. You should also read the glossary and the definition of what the AV actually means. It's similar to like WAR or whatever for baseball players, but a lot of it is based on the simple eye test of game evaluators.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #63
Zvmwissq

.....and Arian Foster.
True dat.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #64
Agehoobionibe

take it with a grain of salt. You should also read the glossary and the definition of what the AV actually means. It's similar to like WAR or whatever for baseball players, but a lot of it is based on the simple eye test of game evaluators.
ah, the old use it when it's convienent to me argument

Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #65
ZesePreodaNed

ah, the old use it when it's convienent to me argument
Ah, yeah, that's what I was doing. Wait, no it wasn't.

I said take it with a grain of salt. It's a formula which the site authors have come up with to TRY to statistically quantify the contributions of all players.

I didn't say it was perfect, and obviously, as it's the only of it's kind, it may have some outliers.

But you keep making up shit that I didn't say.

I see you've been taking debating lessons from Kopi.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #66
EarnestKS

I said take it with a grain of salt. It's a formula which the site authors have come up with to TRY to statistically quantify the contributions of all players.

I didn't say it was perfect, and obviously, as it's the only of it's kind, it may have some outliers.

not at all, but when see I Vollmer rated 7th, I quickly dismiss and wouldn't use it as an argument. Some of these stat things can be fun, but really mean nothing, I'm generally pretty dismissive of such things. They have some value, but limited.

To me if you're going to use it say Clay is best player in the NFL, then you should be using it to say Matt Shaub is better than Rodgers.

And since it's not case, I'll pass on it.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #67
jackie Obrian

not at all, but when see I Vollmer rated 7th, I quickly dismiss and wouldn't use it as an argument. Some of these stat things can be fun, but really mean nothing, I'm generally pretty dismissive of such things. They have some value, but limited.

To me if you're going to use it say Clay is best player in the NFL, then you should be using it to say Matt Shaub is better than Rodgers.

And since it's not case, I'll pass on it.
So because a formula is not perfect, it has NO merit, or use as a discussion point? By that gauge, OXS, which is 98.5% accurate in predicting runs scored, should be thrown out, because it is not perfect?

I didn't say it was the be all end all.

I said 'according to profootballreference.com, polamalu wasn't the best player in the league", and you jumped all over my shit, as if I were holding this up as the holy grail of football rankings. I didn't even say I AGREED. I just said "this is what these guys say" and posted a link.

I swear to christ, people get so god damn touchy around here about debating ANYTHING any more.

We're not supposed to talk about Jordy Nelson's drops (because the Packers won).

We can't talk about Aaron Rodgers maybe not succeeding outside Green Bay. And now I can't use a less-than-PERFECT reference as a point of discussion.

I don't know why we even bother with his shit anymore. Nobody wants to discuss or debate, they just want to be right.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #68
Ccddfergt

So because a formula is not perfect, it has NO merit, or use as a discussion point? By that gauge, OXS, which is 98.5% accurate in predicting runs scored, should be thrown out, because it is not perfect?

I didn't say it was the be all end all.

I said 'according to profootballreference.com, polamalu wasn't the best player in the league", and you jumped all over my shit, as if I were holding this up as the holy grail of football rankings. I didn't even say I AGREED. I just said "this is what these guys say" and posted a link.

I swear to christ, people get so god damn touchy around here about debating ANYTHING any more.

We're not supposed to talk about Jordy Nelson's drops (because the Packers won).

We can't talk about Aaron Rodgers maybe not succeeding outside Green Bay. And now I can't use a less-than-PERFECT reference as a point of discussion.

I don't know why we even bother with his shit anymore. Nobody wants to discuss or debate, they just want to be right.
And apparently we can't discuss the validity of a source. I don't think Clay Matthew's is the best player in the NFL. I don't even think he's the best defensive player in the NFL. He's a good player in a system that fit's his talents.

So, you're bitching that we can't discuss things because I dont agree. If I agreed, what would there be to discuss?

I suppose I could've presented a better argument as opposed to being a wise ass.

I have no problem discussing what if's and what about that....I have no problem being critical of a player even on my team...

I'm in full agreement with you.

The issue isnt the discussion, it's being a smart ass.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #69
bestcigsnick

If I had my choice between healthy Polamalu or Matthews, I'd go Polamalu. Now part of that is because safety is the black hole on vikes defense and I dont think 4-3 defense would suit matthews.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #70
ffdfriendforurr

If I had my choice between healthy Polamalu or Matthews, I'd go Polamalu. Now part of that is because safety is the black hole on vikes defense and I dont think 4-3 defense would suit matthews.
I'll take Matthews, as I think he would thrive in any system. He does something that too few NFL defensive players do. He wraps you up and tackles you. His intent is not to get the big hit that ends up on Sports Center. His intent is to get you on the ground as quickly and efficiently as possible, and he does it better than anybody right now.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #71
berdyanskdotsu

I'll take Matthews, as I think he would thrive in any system. He does something that too few NFL defensive players do. He wraps you up and tackles you. His intent is not to get the big hit that ends up on Sports Center. His intent is to get you on the ground as quickly and efficiently as possible, and he does it better than anybody right now.
It's interesting you mention that. Obviously, there's any number of Matthews highlight reels out there, and I've watched more than a few, and I did notice that. He doesn't have any of those "showstopper" type big hits. Dude doesn't lower his shoulder and 'hit' people, he comes in high, arms spread out, and he wraps up and takes down.

It reminds me of watching old tapes of Dick Butkus tackling guys. They said he was the 'hardest hitter' of his time, but really, he was a fantastic TACKLER.

Not enough players play that way anymore.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #72
PristisoliTer

It's interesting you mention that. Obviously, there's any number of Matthews highlight reels out there, and I've watched more than a few, and I did notice that. He doesn't have any of those "showstopper" type big hits. Dude doesn't lower his shoulder and 'hit' people, he comes in high, arms spread out, and he wraps up and takes down.

It reminds me of watching old tapes of Dick Butkus tackling guys. They said he was the 'hardest hitter' of his time, but really, he was a fantastic TACKLER.

Not enough players play that way anymore.
darryl talley is on a sports radio show down here. monday night he was talking about the mendenhall fumble and pointed out how matthews wasn't trying to strip the ball. he simply made a form tackle, something not many guys do anymore.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #73
RafaelYV

Jarrett Bush had a better game than Palamolu.

That's all that needs to be said.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #74
Amorsesombabs

Jarrett Bush had a better game than Palamolu.

That's all that needs to be said.
False.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #75
WaydayFep

False.
True. 1 int. and two pressures that caused incompletions in key spots.

He gave up one TD, but polamolulu gave up 2.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #76
somasideff

Reply to Thread New Thread