DiscussWorldIssues - Socio-Economic Religion and Political Uncensored Debate

DiscussWorldIssues - Socio-Economic Religion and Political Uncensored Debate (http://www.discussworldissues.com/forums/)
-   Asia (http://www.discussworldissues.com/forums/asia/)
-   -   Where is the real Thailand? (http://www.discussworldissues.com/forums/asia/143392-where-real-thailand.html)

freddyujnf 11-23-2005 07:00 AM

Also in the Netherlands we eat Sauerkraut, called Zuurkool. And I like it, but unlike the Germans not for breakfast http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag...es/tongue2.gif

adverwork 01-09-2006 07:00 AM

Hi djaidee!

I was only joking. I am German myself.http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag...es/biggrin.png

TomUK

enlinnyGoob 03-12-2006 07:00 AM

That is such a Myth that all Germans like to eat Sauerkraut.

I can only speak for myself, I don't like it at all.

And even when people like it, you will never find somebody to eat it for Breakfast, and you will hardly find it at the Breakfast Buffet http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag...lies/smile.png

Giselle 06-07-2006 12:51 AM

I've been dealing with many Thais for about 14 years. When I lived in Alaska a number of years ago, and had first visited Thailand, I was asked on several occasions if I had been to "the real Thailand". Of course I too had to ask what that meant. The answer I got was that "The Real Thailand" means had I been to the massage parlors for sex. I'm amazed how many people seem to not know what "the Real Thailand" is refering to... as it wasn't kept any big secret from me.

sarasaraseda 06-07-2006 04:14 AM

So, are you suggesting you agree with them?

tevyrefficy 06-07-2006 05:15 AM

Might be, lots of folks think that, whatta ya expect..
People come in on airplanes,
Airports are in large citys,
so people see the large citys first and maybe stay there, most do.
And what are the large citys full of???
especially around the tourist areas???
Seems like thats what they want you to see.
If they didn't they would enforce the laws.
But no TEA MONEY in that.

adverwork 10-09-2006 07:00 AM

This is quite an interesting thread. I asked myself what is real? I live in England and I wonder where is the real England. Would it be London or maybe Brighton or Blackpool, or could it be in a tiny village in the Cotswolds? In a couple of weeks I will be travelling to Berlin for a few days. Will I find the real Germany there? Or will I have to go to the Octoberfest in Munich? Whatever the real Germany is, I only hope it does not involve having to eat sauerkraut for breakfast everyday.

Thinking of Thailand I have come to the conclusion that I start to experience the real Thailand when I step off the aircraft in Bangkok. The real Thailand is Bangkok with it's noise and traffic jams, it is "my" village in Isaan, my Thai friends, a Baht bus in Pattaya, the beach vendors at Dongtaan beach, Songkran in Chiang Mai, the rocket festivals in Roi Et, the smells, street vendors with all the exotic fruits and foods, Thai people, elephants on the road, all the signs in Thai language and many more things.

I think very often when people talk about the real Thailand they have an idealised image in their mind of a Thailand that probably never existed.

TomUK

sarasaraseda 05-06-2010 08:07 AM

Where is the real Thailand?

I've heard this phrase tossed around a lot... The Real Thailand.

I think we've done a good job in a lot of threads to point out places that are not, The Real Thailand, but I'd like to hear about some places that are real.

What experiences have you had, where have you been, what have you done, when you knew for a fact that this was the real Thailand?

BTW, Has anyone read the book Bangkok Vanishing (or something like that, I hope I didn't butcher the name)? The authors felt like Bangkok itself wasn't 'real' anymore and had become something else...so they set out with camera in hand to capture the 'real' Bangkok. It's a beautiful book!

pMJWFoAWD 05-06-2010 08:13 AM

If you figure out the title I would love to buy it! Great topic starter and I think it will have a very wide variety of information. Personally I think it something difficult to define, but I think we all know it when we see it, and it is not even the same to all people.

I know it is a generic answer some may say the villages of Isaan, while others feel that Sukhumvit is just as real and some further even the beaches of Pattaya. All are probably right in certain aspects.

sarasaraseda 05-06-2010 08:20 AM

I have the book at home and will check tonight for the exact title. I looked online just now at asiabooks and didn't find it...

baronaaba 05-06-2010 08:24 AM

PalinLovesBeam,
my friend, I feel you may be looking for the 'real' Thailand for a very long time, unless you enter the hearts and minds of the Thai people, because that is where the 'real' Thailand originates, exists and from whence it emanates.
You might just as well ask 'where is the 'real' world?'
Wherever you go you will find natural beauty and wonderous scenery, but it is the people that live in those places that make them welcoming or repulsive, thus it is that I find Thailand to be so wonderful.http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag...es/thankya.gif

sarasaraseda 05-06-2010 11:38 AM

As iGNT mentioned, the real Thailand is many places to many people. Here is one of my places.

I find the real Thailand when I am sitting on our big teak bench on the front porch of our house in Trang. I sit out there for hours on end reading or watching the real Thailand float by. Behind me, through a window is my ¤Ø³áÁè sewing a new dress (the whhiirrrr of the machine blends in to the sounds around me) I look to my right and see the neighbors house. Directly parallel to my bench is the neighbor's window and there she sits. She is quite old and spends her time looking out the window, watching the real Thailand float by, too. Across the street to the right. Three sleepy motorcyle taxi drivers who are lucky to give 1-2 rides a day. In the mean time, they sleep on hammocks awaiting customers. Across the street to the left is the village gas pump and a few tables where one can get food. I like to watch all of the people come and go - definitely the village center. In my vision to my left is the wall to my house with a German cookoo clock that cookoo's on every hour. It is the most peaceful place on earth. For me, it is the real Thailand.

sarasaraseda 05-06-2010 04:49 PM

I am back at home now and have an answer for you all about the book.

It is called Vanishing Bangkok by Surat Osathanugrah (ISBN 9-7427-2330-3)

NumsAmenniams 05-06-2010 07:40 PM

Good topic starter!

Here is my opinion.

If you are really talking about Thai/Thai then there is hardly any places in Thailand which can truly be called Real Thailand. I personally disagree that Isarn is the Real Thai/Thailand because there is too much of a Laotian influence. This region has also been influenced heavily by Cambodia; Korat, Surin, Sisaket, Surin etc.... Nong Khai etc... = Vietnam. Even Ubol has a strong French/Laotian influence. Udon and Korat these days still have an American feel to the place.

So, thats Isarn out the window!

Next, we have the south of Thailand. This is perhaps the least Thai/Thai region of Thailand. Islam doesnt conotate as real Thai.

Thats the south out the window!

Howabout the north!?? No way, the region is Lanna in origin which is derived more from Burma than Thai. Then even have their own form of written language which is completely different to Thai. As for the hill-tribes, they originate from as far as Tibet.

Thats the north out the widow!

Howabout Bangkok? Must be joking, the population of the capital is now estimated to be more than 75% Thai-Chinese.

Thats the capital out the window.

Howabout the central region. Now you are getting serious. The major towns - NO. They have far too much Chinese influence. Pathumthani? No, their folks are of Mon/Burmese origin. Kanchanaburi? No, again Burmese.

Howabout Ayuthaya? Now we are getting closer! Closest, yet - though tainted a little by the high Muslim population.

The closest to the real Thailand is central Thailand. Even my province of Suphanburi has to be right up there (not the town though). Others? Nonthaburi, Lopburi, Singburi, etc..... But still these provinces still have huge Thai-Chinese popluation even in the rural areas.

I once had this conversation with my Thai friends. At the end of the day, we decided that Phetchaburi was the most Thai Thai province in Thailand.

Perhaps another thread ought to opened soon. What is Real Thai Thai?

L8fGLM4d 05-07-2010 01:24 AM

this is a really good question Pailin http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag...lies/smile.png

today I was talking to one of the farang teachers at school, she has stayed here for over 5 years now, having worked with refugees and hilltribe people, now taking a break from having to deal with so many upsetting experiences all the time. she told us about the extent of human trafficking and the plight of the poorest people up in the mountains, about pollution of drinking water resources and tuberculosis and refugees not having any legal status.
what is real? Thailand is so keen on appearances. no matter what's just underneath the surface, everything must look perfect. I suspect much of the poverty and suffering comes from the fact that people prefer not to acknowledge the existence of problems. I would say everything we see or don't see or choose not to see is real here, because there are real people experiencing it. you can't say the slums or the brothels with child prostitutes or fake handicapped beggars are not the real Thailand, because for some people that is everyday reality. for me, the touristy night bazaar is just as real as a bus ride to Pai in the company of three reeeeeking durians. the monks' alms round is just as real as an elephant show. I try to be aware of traditions and local ways of life and thinking, I can distinguish between touristy and authentic, but in terms of reality, I wouldn't say either is superior or inferior. it's all Thailand as it is.
I hope this makes sense.

voodoosdv 05-07-2010 02:19 AM

There is no such thing as "real".

Chaos theory reigns, anything that isn't in active transition is dead.

Reality is based upon an individuals perceptions at that particular point in time.

Countries are artificial constructs made up of smaller, individual unique communities which have a number of things in common (maybe).

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag...s/offtopic.gif Sorry, some early morning ramblings, now I can't delete them !

L8fGLM4d 05-07-2010 02:52 AM

don't delete it! it's a good point. http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag...lies/smile.png

pMJWFoAWD 05-07-2010 03:29 AM

Anything not in active transition is dead! I love that, great stuff Peterg. Think of the many lost and extinct civilizations, they are never questioned as to whether or not they are 'real', they are simply lost. Yet the civilizations that are not lost are the one's that people question the purity of.

I think Steve's reply as humorous as it was also applies exactly to what khunlungphudhu said. As much as a mixup Thailand has evolved into, the fact that Khmer, Lao, Viet, Chinese, Burmese, and of course ancient Thai way have sort of formed together and maintained the overall happiness and tranquility --- I think that is the real Thai. As all the cities get more and more foreign owned hotels, international companies, technological overhauls and Western influence the fact that so much of these imported threats are coming in they are all painted with a coat of Thai-ness (ketchup on pizza?) that alone is what makes Thailand.

No matter what happens there is still a Thai flavor over it all. Influence does not always mean that something was taken over and changed as a whole. http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag...lies/smile.png

sarasaraseda 05-07-2010 05:18 AM

Another real Thailand moment of mine:

My friend and I got on the elevator to go to the top of that really tall giant temple down on Sukhumvit (I forget the name) and we saw a group of 8 monks coming towards us. I always feel a little nervous around monks...being a woman wanting to be polite as possible. Sure enough, the 8 monks come on the elevator. All 10 of us are crammed into the elevator and up we go. My (female) friend and I just stared ahead at the doors and tried not to touch them, which was quite hard because it was a small elevator. We're riding up... and up... and up... and ..... STOP. Nothing. We look around, the monks look around. Yes...the elevator is stuck. We were stuck in the elevator for two hours. My friend was totally calm and cool and was able to make conversation with the monks. I was a basketcase...nervous jitters...and when I get nervous, I giggle. I had a controlled giggle for two hours. When the doors finally opened and we got out I burst out in the heartiest laugh you could imagine. The 8 monks walk away execpt for one who lingers. I look up at him, and he says... "You are a very Happy Person" http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag...lies/smile.png This, of course, only added to my giggles.

So we were certainly tourists...at a temple off of sukhumvit, but that was real Thailand to me. I think real is something that you just wouldn't find anywhere else...and for me, that certainly was one.

Mowselelex 05-07-2010 05:43 AM

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/imag.../laughlong.gif Neat story.