LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Broker15015

Default Calendar jackpot: 09/09/09
Calendar jackpot
By Daily Xpress

The 'luckiest' date of the century rolls round tomorrow -- so what can we expect?

So, what's all this fuss about the number 9? If you haven't noticed it yet, just check out all the events planned for tomorrow. Yes,

tomorrow the calendar rolls round to the "luckiest" date of the century for Thais -- 9/9/09 -- and big businesses and top celebrities are rushing to grab their share of good fortune.

Less lucky will be anyone in a hurry - the traffic is expected to jam as the auspicious activities hit their peak.

Leaping forwards

"Kao" means both "9" and "a step forward" in Thai, so "9-9-9" signals the most auspicious date for progress. This, in other words, is the day to start something new. Maternity wards around the country will be busy, with expectant mothers keen to see their babies born tomorrow, and newspapers are brimming with reports of new promotions being launched by businesses and celebrities releasing their latest creations.

Tata's album launch

Superstar Tata Young has chosen the runway at Don Muang Airport to launch her latest album, "Ready for Love", while TV host Kiet "Sumo Gig" Kitcharoen and his mother will open their restaurant, Glom Gig, at Ruamrudee soi 1.

Elsewhere, popular actress Woranuch "Noon" Wongsawan will introduce The Peace condominium she and her friends have invested to customers. And movie company GTH has decided that 9/9/09 is a frighteningly good release date for their horror film "5 Praeng" ("Phobia 2").

Mobile-phone operator DTAC is getting in on the act by officially opening its new headquarters in Jamjuree Square, while Nation Multimedia Group's education arm, Nation International Edutainment - acronym NINE - is launching its CSR project, which will donate books to 999 schools and nine temples.

Singha Corporation is also feeling lucky, preparing for tomorrow's opening of Singha Park, its new golf club in Khon Kaen.

Celebrities tie the knot

Celebrity weddings are also on the cards: comedian and TV host "Ple" Nakorn Silachai and actor San Panomkorn Tungtatsawat will be leading lucky girls down the aisle, while DJ "Ke" Pakamas Wungboon will be saying "I do" to "Kob" Thawatchai Sorathi, her husband-to-be from Look Thung Maha Nakorn FM 95.

Special 9-9-9 promotions are being offered by Siam Square's Novotel Bangkok and all Marriott hotels in Thailand.

The government is inviting everyone to sing the royal anthem at 9.09am in honour of His Majesty, King Rama IX.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
enlinnyGoob

Indeed a lucky day; the younger sister of my girlfriend will get engaged on 09/09/09

Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
OGOGOogoloshennya

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought that tomorrow was 09/09/52 in Thailand...

I don't know anyone in Thailand that uses the Western (Christian) calendar...

David

Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Broker15015

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought that tomorrow was 09/09/52 in Thailand...

I don't know anyone in Thailand that uses the Western (Christian) calendar...

David
Business uses the western calendar in its dealing with the west, western New Years Eve is always celebrated-and, arising from that you know that Thailand will always adapt anything from the west that might look useful/generate some cash/deserve a party!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
12ZHeWZa

I might do the mid week lottery and see if some Thai good luck can reach me in the UK

Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Broker15015

I might do the mid week lottery and see if some Thai good luck can reach me in the UK
Be sure to put it on at 09:09 AM!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
OGOGOogoloshennya

Be sure to put it on at 09:09 AM!
That rules me out, I'm never up that early in Wales!!!

David

Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Broker15015

That rules me out, I'm never up that early in Wales!!!

David
I will be-you know already I love me Lottery-lets see if I can improve on the 100 pounds I won a few weeks ago!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
chuecaloversvvp

thanks for the reminder - two of my Thai colleagues are getting married tomorrow (to each other!) - weird timing, weekday late in the evening (19:09 I think).

> I don't know anyone in Thailand that uses the Western (Christian) calendar...

the H1N1 epidemic is called "khai wat yai 2009" for example.
the calendars we have display both years (2552 and 2009).
I know I am a farang in a mixed setting but I see 2009 more than 2552.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
aspinswramymn

I think they use the 2009 flu name as they want to blame it on the West!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
Broker15015

Nation floats on cloud nine in honour of His Majesty

Bangkok Post

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has ordered all government agencies to join in nationwide activities today to honour His Majesty the King, King Rama IX.

Today is the ninth day of the ninth month of the year 2009, and the activities will start at 09.09am.

Mr Abhisit said today was an auspicious day for His Majesty and therefore suitable for all government agencies countrywide to lead the general public in praising, paying respect or showing their loyalty to him.

Representatives of all government agencies and the civil service will line up and sing songs in praise of the King, including the royal anthem.

The prime minister will be at Government House to deliver a speech to honour His Majesty the King and lead the singing.

Cabinet ministers, heads of the armed forces and ministries, and Government House staff will join Mr Abhisit.

Similar activities will also be held at Lumpini Park and City Hall.

The activities are part of the government's continuing campaign to promote the royal institution as the spiritual core of the Thai people and tackle attempts to offend the institution.

Supreme Commander Songkitti Jaggabatara said today's activities were not meant merely for singing but also for national security.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
aspinswramymn

At our school we will be doing a synchronized activity as well together with the rest of the country at exactly 9.09 a.m. That is about 45 minutes from now.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #13
Broker15015

Nation marks 09/09/09 for King

Writer: BangkokPost.com

The government joined Thais nationwide in paying respect to His Majesty the King, the ninth monarch of the Chakri Dynasty, at 9.09am on the auspicious date of the ninth day of the ninth month of 2009.

At Government House, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva lit a candle in front of the portrait of His Majesty and spoke in honour of him. He then led his cabinet, civil servants and high-ranking military officers in singing the royal anthem to mark the auspicious time and day.

"We want to draw attention to the charisma of His Majesty the King, both domestically and internationally.
"During his 63-year reign, His Majesty has helped solving the country's problems for the people," Mr Abhisit said.

Civil servants and general public sing royal anthem to honour His Majesty the King and to mark 09/09/09 on Wednesday.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration held a religious ceremony at City Hall to mark the special occasion. Government officials and general public took part in offering food to 109 monks during morning alms at 9.09am.

In central Bangkok, a large crowd gathered at Lumpini park, where national flags and yellow flags representing the monarchy were shown. They sang the royal anthem at the auspicious time.
Hospitals were also a bit more crowded than usual as some pregnant women wanted to deliver their babies on this day.

Rajavithi Hospital director Dr Warunee Jinarat said nine pregnant women had made arrangements with doctors for their babies tro be born on this special day, but they did not specify that the babies must be delivered at 9.09am, she said.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
BrodiKennedy

‘09/09/09 the 'luckiest' date of the century’.
The luckiest day started off with the company giving me a half day......due to circumstances beyond anyones control, so I thought I would go buy a lottery ticket.....it is drawn on Saturday, but maybe the 09/09/09 ju ju only covers that day. Did anyone else experience any luck on the day? Because half a day off work I regard as pretty lucky....

Old 09-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #15
12ZHeWZa

I came off my mountain bike off-roading and only got 1 number with the lottery ticket that i actually brought at 09:09am on 09/09/09

Maybe i should have brought 9 lines instead of 1? but i didn't have £9.

So not really the luckiest day of my life, but ah well, it was worth a try.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #16
chuecaloversvvp

I went to a wedding, deliberately held on such a lucky date of course.
I was going to write about it but the story doesn't make sense without photos of people, but I won't publish photos of others, so....
I always love getting the time to see my colleagues outside school, wearing their own clothes for a change, and makeup too, bringing along family, even small babies. the youngest one was 3 weeks old. I'm not much of a talker myself but I love to listen and to fool around with the kids. though I did not chase them on all fours when a bunch of 5-year-olds decided to copy a 9-month-old and were playing hide and seek under the large tables covered with huge tablecloths. nobody batted an eyelid, really. they were funny.
the couple spent hours having their photo taken with everyone. I don't think they ever got to sit down and eat and chat. I would have run away.

just like in the morning at 9:09, nothing happened at the same time in the evening. everyday life was just going on as usual. nevertheless, I'm sure it is a day that many of us will remember as something very special.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
Broker15015

I came off my mountain bike off-roading and only got 1 number with the lottery ticket that i actually brought at 09:09am on 09/09/09

Maybe i should have brought 9 lines instead of 1? but i didn't have £9.

So not really the luckiest day of my life, but ah well, it was worth a try.
Yeah. I bought 3 tickets at 09:09 AM on-line: Spectacularly failed to win anything as well-but as is said -"ya gotta speculate to accumulate"

Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #18
TOD4wDTQ

I overslept

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
BrodiKennedy

my lottery ticket was a fizzzzer.....but as Khun Don said...you gotta be in it to win it...well that is the translation.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
chuecaloversvvp

Yeah. I bought 3 tickets at 09:09 AM on-line
where are you heading?

Reply to Thread New Thread