LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
kasandrasikl

Hi David,

There was a thread a short while back about the "Thai for lovers" cellphone software. Whilst that thread went into the content of the dictionary side of the software (maybe not so highly recommended), the software does enable you to send texts in Thai script even from a UK cellphone that doesnt have Thai script enabled.

You can just opt to send a stock phrase from the dictionary (Including Happy Birthday!) or you can use a virtual Thai keyboard to enter your own text.

I believe the software is available for Sony and Nokia phones. Hope that helps

Edit by guava additional info:
Here is a link to the software

Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Patgaepx

I know its not as cheap.but Tesco also have a pre-pay sim card deal for £4.99 and it costs 20p a minute to any of 50 countries, Thailand being one of them. That is 20p to Thai landlines and mobiles.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
kasandrasikl

Hi David

Yes, Im sorry I forgot to mention about the need for a newer phone

When you call Ubonwan do you get a good deal on your phone charges? I am a fan of Carphone Warehouse Mobile World. I know that there are many cheaper ways to call but 15p a minute to Thai cellphone is worth it to me for the advantage of just dialing direct from my mobile with never any connection problems and always good quality line. (10p to a landline) I keep a cheap prepay phone with Mobile World sim just for international calls.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Assunkkensatt

Hi Guava

Thanks for that, I have read about the sofware but it only runs on the newer Nokia phones, I am currently using a Nokia 3310 that I have had for more than four years.

I had it Thai enabled last December but unfortunately it is only the menus that are in Thai, when composing a text the Thai alphabet is not available *but* Chinese is???

ÍغÅÇÃó sent me a text in Thai earlier in the year and unfortunately all my Nokia displays is a single full stop; but I told her it's a very beautiful full stop!!

I send her a text on every day that I don't telephone *but* as the only things she can read in English are our names and I love you (all have to be in upper case), things either get very repetitive or I send messages that she can never understand but at least she knows I am thinking of her.

David

Old 09-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Patgaepx

Furthur info.......... You can dial this number 07744 654 005 and then dial your Thai number (landline OR mobile) and the calls are part of your inclusive minutes, but check with your network first. You can also put the above number down as a "favourite" with Tesco sim and the calls are now only 10p a minute. Not bad. The website for furthur info is www.yourcallworld.com

Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Patgaepx

1 pence per minute to Thai landline OR mobile. From UK landline only day or night

www.bestminutes.co.uk

Old 09-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
Assunkkensatt

Hi David

Yes, Im sorry I forgot to mention about the need for a newer phone

When you call Ubonwan do you get a good deal on your phone charges? I am a fan of Carphone Warehouse Mobile World. I know that there are many cheaper ways to call but 15p a minute to Thai cellphone is worth it to me for the advantage of just dialing direct from my mobile with never any connection problems and always good quality line. (10p to a landline) I keep a cheap prepay phone with Mobile World sim just for international calls.
Yes, I have an account with Easy Dial (www.easy-dial.com I think) that I can access through any telephone. Via an 0800 number I pay 6.9p a minute to call her mobile and at the weekends I call via a London 0208 number and only pay 4.9p a minute because I get free UK calls on my landline at the weekends.

If I call her using my mobile (which isn't very often) I call via an 0845 number and pay the 4.9p a minute rate and my mobile operator (Virgin) charges me a further 10p a minute so the most I pay is 14.9p a minute.

I ususally get a good quality connection with them, and believe that any problems I sometimes get are purely to do with her location rather than the service. Her moblile won't work indoors except when she is using the toilet!! And we get interference if she is very close to the house which goes away if she just walks to the farthest end of the garden.

If it is a Bangkok landline you want to call I believe all the easy dial rates I quote are 2p a minute cheaper.

David
(This is my 100th post!!!)

Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
Assunkkensatt

I know its not as cheap.but Tesco also have a pre-pay sim card deal for £4.99 and it costs 20p a minute to any of 50 countries, Thailand being one of them. That is 20p to Thai landlines and mobiles.
Thanks for that. It has to make you wonder if the smaller telecoms companies can afford to charge such prices how BT can justify charging 93p a minute? When I first started calling Thailand last year before I organised a discount calling account BT was charging £1.08 a minute to Thai mobiles, my first phone bill after coming home was a shock!!

David

Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
Patgaepx

You,re welcome I only found out about all the cheaper calls after my Orange bill for September came to £ 1034:00

Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #10
kasandrasikl

Ahhhhhhhhhh works out about the same using Virgin then.

Congratulations on your 100th

Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
Assunkkensatt

Default Thai SMS <¢é�¤ÇÒ�>
I am just wondering whether anyone has successfully managed to send a Thai SMS <font size="3"¢éͤÇÒÁ/font> via the siamzone website?

I have so far been unsucessful, I first tried to send ÍغÅÇÃó a message in Thai for her birthday and have tried at regular intervals after that two or three times a week.

Next week she has a birthday again so I will have been trying for a whole year so far without success. I must buy a new mobile when I'm back out there so I can send Thai texts.

Puzzled.

David

Reply to Thread New Thread