LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
lorrieholdridge

I learnt Thai as an exchange student living in Thailand, and I also stayed on for an extra 4 years.

I am married to a beautiful Thai Lady (and we have a son), so that certainly has enabled me to develop my Thai even further (although I was already pretty fluent when we were married)

Speaking Thai also landed me a job as an International Marketing Representative for a major Hotel chain.

Also, it does help when travelling in Thailand.
Allows me to share ideas with other members in forums such as these as well

Old 11-05-2008, 04:17 AM   #2
AmfitNom

The language is just one step in many. Study the culture, too, and the attitudes too, adopt as much of it as you can and you will soon find that you fit in and become happier with it, it does work, I promise, I have been in and out of Thailand since the sixties, and have had two wonderful Thai wives. Thank you Thailand!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
baskentt

Learning Thai has been a very nice experience for me, even though I have not yet learnt it to any fluency and cannot get time enough time or talk to anyone in Thai.

Often I come across words which are common to my native language, but words which I do not use... and I think how much of my own language have I destroyed. This applies to culture, hospitality... too...

Many people back home ask me why I learn Thai. They ask me why I am not learning German, French... something which offers me better fortunes. When I say no. They ask me if I have someone in Thailand. Well I had for a breif moment (3 days with no commitment! So, its history), but I do not expect anything thereafter.

So, why do I learn now. Its because I started learning... and am excited that I can! And hopefully it will open up a new world for me and help me make friends...

Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
mpzoFeJs

I WAS WONDERING DO U THINK IT'S HARD TO LEARN HOW TO READ AND WRITE IN THAI?? I WENT TO THAI SCHOOL WHEN I WAS SMALL AND I FORGOT SOME BUT LUCKLY I REMEMBER SOME ALSO I TRIED LEARNING IT AGAIN BUT I THINK IT'S HARD FOR ME

Old 11-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
DoctorDeryOne

At first I found it very hard to read and write thai,it seemed totally alien to me,however with a lot of perseverence I am now able to read and write Thai.I can not spell very well and guess this will eventualy come to me after much more practice.My wife is a chef and her boss is Thai,her boss came to England when she was young and does not read or write Thai.This always seems strange to me as she speaks fluent Thai.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #6
Liskaspexia

Quote[/b] ] how learning Thai has affected you
Hmmm... it made me feel that I actually live here, as opposed to just staying here. You'd be surprised to know how many Farang in Thailand belong to the latter category.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
kenowinnumberss

Default What benefits have come from learning Thai?
Please give some responses as to how learning Thai has affected you all. Personally I feel more in touch with my wife, being able to read books together, websites, reading newspapers etc. Same with movies and music too, it is nice not needed her to give a very very broken Thai translation of every action. It greatly helps me when explaining some English to her as well.

How does it affect everyone else?

Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
simmons latex mattress

Quote[/b] (Stacker @ Oct. 21 2004,12:07)]My sister-in-law is from The Ukraine. Your English is superb, as is your writing, it really captures your thoughts and expresses them well.
I guess my English is fairly good as I am actually from England I had been working in the Czech Republic for 7 years and that's where I came to Thailand from.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
DoctorDeryOne

learning Thai has enabled me to converse with my wifes family who speak no English,it also ensures that I do not get ripped off in thailand and surprises nearly every thai person I meet.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
kenowinnumberss

Fabulous post! Welcome to the forums, I sincerely hope you come to like this place. My sister-in-law is from The Ukraine. Your English is superb, as is your writing, it really captures your thoughts and expresses them well. You covered so many emotions that I think we have all felt in one way or another. I should have used the word benefits rather than 'doors opened'. You knew what I mean though.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
khjhkfggt

Learning Thai has made a world of difference to my Thailand experience. I spent a year in Thailand in 1999/2000, and have since been based in Singapore, making frequent trips back for holidays and business. The first thing I learnt was to read and write Thai, which I did largely for fun. My spoken Thai has been progressing slowly, and I'm gradually getting a hang of getting the tones sounding right.

I never hide that I can speak Thai, and always try to use it as politely and cheerfully as possible, and I've yet to experience a negative reaction. Instead, learning Thai has enabled me to chat to Thais who speak no English and who I would otherwise have only been able to smile to. A good example is from my last trip in November, when I took the long train ride from Bangkok to Trang and back. I had a great chat to the train staff on the way down, and then with a Cambodian monk on the way back. It beats looking out the window any day!

Old 09-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
simmons latex mattress

If you don't mind i'd like to answer two of your topics in one go. The other topic related to first impressions of Thailand but also relates to the learning of the language.

I came to Thailand to open a business 4 years ago and have been here ever since. I guess my first impression while exiting Bngkok airport was that the weather was somewhat warmer than where I had been living (The Czech Republic) especially as it was February! In the first few weeks I was amazed by the people. I wondered how people from a supposedly less developed country than mine could be so warm, friendly and happy so much of the time. I was also impressed by the choice of things to do and places to go and the general efficiency of the place (traffic excepted). The food was wonderful, the weather was perfect, the people the nicest I had ever met and life was just great.

Then what I guess happens to most people who stay for any length of time in one country happened to me. I started to get irritated by everybody and everything about the country. the honeymoon was over! In starting the company I had to deal with a multitude of officials and everything seemed deliberately stacked against me. Visa runs became a hassle rather than a chance to experience new things and my inability to speak Thai to any great degree meant that I always felt so dependant on my wife and her family (they are Thai). I started to long for fast food and English conversation and has pretty much lost all feeling for Thailand.

At that point in my life I seriously considered leaving Thailand. Then I got lucky. I became quite ill. Whilst being incapacitated due to the illness, I got bored and I picked up a teach yourself Thai book and started to study it a little. I found that I quite enjoyed the challenge of such a difficult language and by the time I was healthy again I had become semi-fluent.

This new found knowledge of Thai made my life so much happier. I no longer had to rely on other people and felt much more independant. I started to make m own friends and over the next few months all of my frustrations faded away. Business became a lot smoother and my relationship with my Thai family and friends improved beyong recognition.

Whilst I will never get back to my total adoration of all things Thai, I find myself in a much healthier position of being able to enjoy my life here tremendously and take the rough with the smooth.

I can't believe that I could have ever contemplated leaving this place but deep down I know that I would have done if I hadn't learnt the language.

So what doors has the Thai language opened for me? Maybe no doors but it given me geater independence, a happier life, new friendships and a better appreciation of the country and its people. I now feel more at home here than anyplace I have ever been.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #13
Michael-jeckson2

Quote[/b] (PhuketBlue @ Oct. 21 2004,12:46)] Originally Posted by [b Quote[/b] (Stacker @ Oct. 21 2004,12:07)]My sister-in-law is from The Ukraine. Your English is superb, as is your writing, it really captures your thoughts and expresses them well.
I guess my English is fairly good as I am actually from England I had been working in the Czech Republic for 7 years and that's where I came to Thailand from. Yes, well said anyways.
In fear of being upstaged, i'll keep it short.
I enjoy the challenge as well, its always fun to learn something new that you feel you can use. But mostly I love being able to chat with friends and really try to get this most out of the little i've learned so far. Writing/Reading is so much fun! Months ago i'd never have dreamed of seeing any thing in those 'funny little squigles' and might not have even taken an interest. But i'm glad I did take an interest, it's made learning, and just life, a lot of fun!

¹éͧᴹ

Old 09-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #14
Nautilus

Well, when I first came into contact with thai language, it was for work actually as I was posted to korat for a military exercise, I'm formerly in the forces. That's when I was deeply attracted to it's culture and the friendliness of the people. On a subsequent vacation trip to bangkok, I've met a girl who is now my girlfriend, a thai national. Now I'm trying hard to learn thai to communicate with her better, eventually I would like to marry her and settle down in chiang mai as it was her dream to live in chaing mai because she loves the scenic landscape there. Learning thai have made me found love....

Reply to Thread New Thread