LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
anatmob

Default Help! The Office...
So, I've watched a few episodes of the U.S. version of "The Office," and I kind of liked the show. And then I noticed that BBC On Demand was offering the original episodes from England or wherevers. So I thought, you know, great, the originals, probably better than the remakes over here. I mean, Jekyll was just outstanding, and Gina Bellman is way hot so I started watching Coupling, so probably The Office would be really good, even if Gina Bellman isn't in it, right?

The problem is I cannot understand anything they say. I tried turning up the volume way loud, but that didn't seem to help at all. Still no clue what they're saying. Which seems weird, since I pretty much understood Jekyll and Coupling pretty much with no problems.

Now I'd heard or read or something somewhere that The Office was really popular or something in the lands of the Engs, the Ires, and the Scots, so I figured I'd ask around to see what they do to understand it over there. Do British peoples get subtitles or something?

And another thing, I've got all these bottles of Scotch from Scot Land that I'm trying to work through. Do you guys water these down or something, because, honsly, i'm not fleeing it.

Dang that Gina Bellman is hot....

_Chalres

Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
beethyday

lol - dontcha unnerstann the lunnon accent innit ?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #3
AblemTee

The accent of those from Englandceistershire can be bewildering.

They call the language they speak "English" after the country whenst they camest however, it seems to be the trend to speak some kind of grammatically inferior dialect in the southern regions of this peculiar land.

And don't put any water in the whiskey you big big poof. Unless it is Bells or Grouse or some other cheap pish; that i'd recommend using when the inlaws come over... i've found that on those occasions, it helps to have some kind of flame inducing catalyst handy.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
Bemapayople

You should watch something with proper English in then. Maybe this http://youtube.com/watch?v=nqpSu4jFJic

Old 11-09-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
milfovoxapl

That's a great one shred... been a while

Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
Hpdovoxm

A friend of mine who was from SW England once had to translate English to English for some Americans who couldn't understand what some guys from Manchester were saying. The Manchester guys could understand the Americans just fine.... although they did complain that they spoke too fast on occasion apparently. I think its prb that we get so much US TV over here but there's not so much UK TV over in the states.

Mike

PS - Charles, you should check out Red Dwarf if you haven't already

Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
NiliSpuppypax

You should watch something with proper English in then. Maybe this http://youtube.com/watch?v=nqpSu4jFJic

Uhhhh, wow. I watched the whole thing, I think I caught maybe a dozen words, but no entire lines. Worse than the time I got lost in Mississippi.

Wow.

-Charles

Old 11-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
Heliosprime

Did they tell you abouts yur purdy mouth?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Susanleech

PS - Charles, you should check out Red Dwarf if you haven't already
Red Dwarf and the Blackadder were serious favorites of mine. Haven't seen them in a very long time though. Prior to moving to the Lower 48 I hadn't actually seen a lot of teevee, and they were some of the first shows I ever got hooked on.

Unfortunately that was a really long time ago.

-Charles

Old 11-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
smokeberly

Did they tell you abouts yur purdy mouth?
Something like that, yeah. Certain situations were remarkably similar to scenes in Deliverance and Southern Comfort. "Luckily" there was a war on at the time, me and my pals were in the Navy, so generally people were pretty nice to us. Generally.

-Charles

Old 11-10-2007, 05:24 AM   #11
pGJLweEw

Maybe some of you can translate this.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 AM   #12
paydayuscf

Maybe some of you can translate this.

"The fortnight-old handbags suddenly exploded into a proper barney when Lord Strathclyde had an eppy and called Baroness Hayman a 'dozy slag' and then buggered off for a Jack Dash in the bog," BBC political correspondent Basil Islington said. "Needless to say, the other geezers went chicken oriental."

Lol.

Teen an eppy min!

A jack dash indeed, should have been a Gypsie's wish!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #13
Gmvkgkmn

LONDON—The nightly Ten O'Clock News program on Great Britain's BBC One channel upgraded a minor flap in Parliament's House of Lords to an all-out row Tuesday after Conservative Party leader Thomas Galbraith, 2nd Baron Strathclyde, told the Lord Speaker to sod off. "The fortnight-old handbags suddenly exploded into a proper barney when Lord Strathclyde had an eppy and called Baroness Hayman a 'dozy slag' and then buggered off for a Jack Dash in the bog," BBC political correspondent Basil Islington said. "Needless to say, the other geezers went chicken oriental." The BBC said if the tossers don't jam their tarts by late afto, they will be forced to classify the bull and cow as a paddy, though they haven't ruled out the possibility of a total fucking pagger. And my translation in italics:

LONDON—The nightly Ten O'Clock News program on Great Britain's BBC One channel upgraded a minor disagreement in Parliament's House of Lords to an all-out row Tuesday after Conservative Party leader Thomas Galbraith, 2nd Baron Strathclyde, told the Lord Speaker to sod off/bugger off/piss off. "The fortnight-old handbags suddenly exploded into a proper argument when Lord Strathclyde had an epileptic fit/fit of rage and called Baroness Hayman a 'stupid bitch' and then buggered off for a piss in the toilet," BBC political correspondent Basil Islington said. "Needless to say, the other gentlemen went mental/berserk." The BBC said if the tossers don't jam their tarts by late afternoon, they will be forced to classify the row as a, childish rant though they haven't ruled out the possibility of a huge argument.

I have no idea what 'fortnight-old handbags' or 'jam their tarts' are supposed to mean....

Try translating this one then (my fave Lock Stock quote): "He orders an aristotle of the most ping-pong tiddly in the nuclear sub" The scene it was from was subtitled in the film, worryingly being a native Londoner I understood the whole thing without the subtitles.....

Mike

Old 11-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #14
PeterPatrickJohn

A jack dash indeed, should have been a Gypsie's wish!
A pish? You sure he'd be a Scot? In the House of Lords? When describing the leader of the conservatives in said hallowed chamber?

Mike

Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
maks_holi

Bear in mind that "row", "fortnight" and "tosser" aren't common usage in North America, either.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #16
IvJlNwum

So, I've watched a few episodes of the U.S. version of "The Office," and I kind of liked the show. And then I noticed that BBC On Demand was offering the original episodes from England or wherevers. So I thought, you know, great, the originals, probably better than the remakes over here. I mean, Jekyll was just outstanding, and Gina Bellman is way hot so I started watching Coupling, so probably The Office would be really good, even if Gina Bellman isn't in it, right?
One word for you Podcasts, actually I have to add two more to qualify that Ricky Gervais - Podcasts. You'll never understand a word of it as Ricky has to translate the garbled drivel of Karl Pilkington but they're compulsive listening.

Incidentally that Onion article isn't too far from the truth. I'm sick to death of every British tennis player 'crashing' out of a tournament. They're never knocked out, or just lost. Even if it goes to five set and it was hard fought all the way through they crash out. Crashing out is being beaten in straight sets to me.

Which leads neatly onto 'The Day Today' and 'Brass Eye', you need these in your life.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #17
hwood

Uhhhh, wow. I watched the whole thing, I think I caught maybe a dozen words, but no entire lines. Worse than the time I got lost in Mississippi.

Wow.

-Charles
dont worry about it - I couldnt understand it either ;-)

Old 11-11-2007, 07:20 AM   #18
actifadepette

"handbags" - slang for a girly style argument, lots of shouting shoving & general bitchiness ( note: NOT restricted to girls !)
much swinging of handbags, looks busy but actual very little harm done
A great example was seen at the last AGM of a certain well known organisation

"jam their tarts" - looks made up to me - Ive no idea me old china.....

Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #19
Trikaduliana

Which leads neatly onto 'The Day Today' and 'Brass Eye', you need these in your life.
For those interested, every episode of these series can be found on Google Video.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #20
AlexClips

For those interested, every episode of these series can be found on Google Video.
Including Paedogeddon?

Reply to Thread New Thread