LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
feqlmwtuqx

Default rayskin wallet?
As my current wallet is starting to come apart, it's probably time to find myself a new one. I used to buy good Coach wallets, but then I realized that the leather in them is TOO good, and wears out quickly. I remember seeing a wallet made out of ray skin (like the covering of a tsuka under the tsukmaki), and apparently they're very durable.

Anybody here have any experience with them? Are they nice (both in aesthetics and durability)?

And I wish I could remember where I saw it. I've browsed through so many online budo catalogs that I can't find it again. And doing a Google search turns up a lot of random stores of which I don't know the reputation, and also in a wide variety of prices.

Yeah, having a wallet made of rayskin is probably a geeky thing for a fledgling iaidoka to have, but I'm a geek. The wallet it's replacing is made of carbon fiber.

(A friend of mine once commented, "Wow, that must've really...lightened your wallet!" )

Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
DariushPetresku

And I wish I could remember where I saw it. I've browsed through so many online budo catalogs that I can't find it again.
Try http://www.eguchi.net/c-1211.html

Sorry - no experience with them (the wallet - Eguchi I can vouch for)

Good luck,

RC_Kenshi

Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
gghrdfffhfyj

years ago, i used to have an eelskin wallet... lasted a long time, loved it... but... it used to screw up the "magnetic" strip on the backs of all my credit cards.

don't know why. ..no amount of rubbing the cards on your shirt or whatever would work..
kinda was a pain.

think i got rid of it because it was too small (back then, i only had a driver's license, a visa card, a debit card, and a video rental store card).... things have changed since then.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
ultimda horaf

Try http://www.eguchi.net/c-1211.html

Sorry - no experience with them (the wallet - Eguchi I can vouch for)

Good luck,

RC_Kenshi
Thanks, that was the one I saw!

years ago, i used to have an eelskin wallet... lasted a long time, loved it... but... it used to screw up the "magnetic" strip on the backs of all my credit cards.
Didn't the Mythbusters disprove that? At least rays don't have the same strong electrical properties as some eels do, so I think I'm safe if I do get the wallet.

Or maybe I'd be (financially) safer if I did wipe out my credit card? Nah, I could still shop online...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
7kitthuptarill

don't know why. ..no amount of rubbing the cards on your shirt or whatever would work..
kinda was a pain.

think i got rid of it because it was too small (back then, i only had a driver's license, a visa card, a debit card, and a video rental store card).... things have changed since then.
Did you lose your driver's license?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
beth

Did you lose your driver's license?
no of course not... simply started getting more business cards and more "membership cards" that necessitated getting a larger wallet.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
bromgeksan

Didn't the Mythbusters disprove that? At least rays don't have the same strong electrical properties as some eels do, so I think I'm safe if I do get the wallet.

Or maybe I'd be (financially) safer if I did wipe out my credit card? Nah, I could still shop online...
I dunno that I've seen that on mythbusters, but they've probably done an experiment on it.

in any case, it may not have been the wallet itself (come on... electrical properties still existing in dead, treated eel skin? I doubt it)... it might have been some combination of the skin and something else. Who knows? i certainly don't. What i *do* however know is that when I went to a leather wallet, the problem with my credit cards went away.

kooky, i guess.

but you're right --- maybe it's a moot point with ray skin or shark skin...

Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Ettiominiw

I've always been too cheap to go for something like that. I can't see the logic in paying big bucks to sit on something all day.

Makes people think you're rich too and then they ask for money or try to screw you over. Simple black cowhide is good for me. All my wallets have lasted me at least 5 years and I never pay over $30 for them.

Reply to Thread New Thread