LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Qnnoshxj

Default Translation help
Anyone able to put this into English? I kind of get the meaning, but I'm not exactly sure.

黙守知存道

Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
MormefWrarebe

Edit: Never mind, I suck at kanbun.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
t78VPkdO

Some form of MA? Where did you come across this? The only thing I found was this site

Old 04-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Arratherimi

Some form of MA? Where did you come across this? The only thing I found was this site
I've been practicing these characters in calligraphy class recently. I didn't ask my teacher the exact meaning. It's something about realisation through keeping quiet. Maybe like those who know dont speak?

Don't worry Oroshi, the Japanese teacher that sits next to me at school said exactly the same thing...

Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
miel

As for what I can know, the kanjis mean "Silence", "Protection", "Knowledge", "Existence", "Path". A try to the meaning could be "The path to the silent protection of the intelectual existance". For what I can figure out, it is just a nice message to wirte (shodo). But, again, I'm not sure of it.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
aceriscoolon

Don't worry Oroshi, the Japanese teacher that sits next to me at school said exactly the same thing...
Ok, I might as well put it back in the thread, as we seem to be thinking along the same lines

I think it means something like 「黙って守り、道の存在を知る」. "Obey silently, and you will know the existence of the way" (terrible translation. If you wanted to sound like someone out of a cheesy martial arts movie I guess it could be 'obey silently, and the way will be revealed to you').

The grammar is different, obviously, but my reasoning comes from thinking of the word 存知 (literally 存在を知ること) and then reorganising the characters per my extremely rudimentary understanding of Chinese grammar.

I imagine a kanbun reader/Chinese speaker will come along in a moment and point out that I've got it all wrong. At least with 和漢混淆文 the words are usually in the 'right' order!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
attackDoold

I've been practicing these characters in calligraphy class recently. I didn't ask my teacher the exact meaning. It's something about realisation through keeping quiet. Maybe like those who know dont speak?

Ah good, so I did find the right thing.

From what Oroshi wrote I'd say it means something like "sit down, shut up and pay attention"

Modern day zen

Old 04-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #8
KneefeZes

If you click on the image in Kagerou's link, the explanation is given:

黙守道を存するを知る (モクシュミチヲソンスルヲシル)
※黙して守り、道のあることを悟る「黄溜」

I'd put it, "Silently observe and learn knowledge of the Way." (With the note that it's a description, not an imperative.)

Oroshi, a couple pointers. 守 only means "obey" in idiomatic translation. The actual sense in Japanese (and Chinese) is to guard, protect, watch, and conserve. And the compound 存知 is already kanbun (verb+object, so it's 知を存する - "keep knowledge", thus "to know"), so you can't just switch the characters in this case.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 AM   #9
finnmontserrat

Thanks Josh.

I got the same explanation from my teacher today...

"口をきかずして心の中で守り。そこに自然に道の存ることを知る。"

Nice to know what I'm writing hundreds of times over

Reply to Thread New Thread