LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
Ggskbpbz

if the mind is not paying attention, how can it discern subtle Truth (such as 4NT, DO, 3Cs, etc)?
dear Esho, Dhamma friends & fellow Truth Seekers

the teaching is very simple. there is no need to complicate it. it simply means the practitioner gives attention to Dhamma (Truth)

here is a suitable unambiguous quote:

So ajjhattaṃ suññataṃ manasi karoti. Tassa ajjhattaṃ suññataṃ manasikaroto suññatāya cittaṃ na pakkhandati nappasīdati na santiṭṭhati na vimuccati . Evaṃ santametaṃ, ānanda, bhikkhu evaṃ pajānāti – ‘ajjhattaṃ suññataṃ kho me manasikaroto ajjhattaṃ suññatāya cittaṃ na pakkhandati nappasīdati na santiṭṭhati na vimuccatī’ti. Itiha tattha sampajāno hoti.

He attends [gives attention] to internal emptiness. While he is attending to internal emptiness, his mind does not take pleasure, find satisfaction, grow steady or indulge in internal emptiness. When this is the case, he discerns, 'While I am attending to internal emptiness, my mind does not take pleasure, find satisfaction, grow steady or indulge in internal emptiness.' In this way he is alert [has clear comprehension] there.

MN 122

He then attends to internal emptiness. While he is attending to internal emptiness, his mind takes pleasure, finds satisfaction, grows steady & indulges in internal emptiness. When this is the case, he discerns, 'While I am attending to internal emptiness, my mind takes pleasure, finds satisfaction, grows steady & indulges in internal emptiness.' In this way he is alert there.

He attends to external emptiness...

He attends to internal & external emptiness...

He attends to the imperturbable. While he is attending to the imperturbable, his mind takes pleasure, finds satisfaction, grows steady & indulges in the imperturbable. When this is the case, he discerns, 'While I am attending to the imperturbable, my mind takes pleasure, finds satisfaction, grows steady & indulges in the imperturbable.' In this way he is alert there.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
Jourgenz

Mmmm... I will pay wise attention to this...
This is certainly wise, for all of us

ānando bhagavantaṃ etadavoca – ‘‘ekamidaṃ, bhante, samayaṃ bhagavā sakkesu viharati nagarakaṃ nāma sakyānaṃ nigamo. Tattha me, bhante, bhagavato sammukhā sutaṃ, sammukhā paṭiggahitaṃ – ‘suññatāvihārenāhaṃ, ānanda, etarahi bahulaṃ viharāmī’ti. Kacci metaṃ, bhante, sussutaṃ suggahitaṃ sumanasikataṃ sūpadhārita’’nti?

‘‘Taggha te etaṃ, ānanda, sussutaṃ suggahitaṃ sumanasikataṃ sūpadhāritaṃ."

Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One: "On one occasion, when the Blessed One was staying among the Sakyans in a Sakyan town named Nagaraka, there — face-to-face with the Blessed One — I heard this, face-to-face I learned this: 'I now remain fully in a dwelling of emptiness.' Did I hear that correctly, learn it correctly, attend to it correctly, remember it correctly?"

[The Buddha:] "Yes, Ananda, you heard that correctly, learned it correctly, attended to it correctly, remembered it correctly.

MN 121

Old 04-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
jimmy28

MN 121, continues:

Puna caparaṃ, ānanda, bhikkhu amanasikaritvā ākiñcaññāyatanasaññaṃ, amanasikaritvā nevasaññānāsaññāyatanasaññaṃ, animittaṃ cetosamādhiṃ paṭicca manasi karoti ekattaṃ

Further, Ananda, the monk — not attending to the perception of the dimension of nothingness, not attending to the perception of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception — attends to the singleness based on the theme-less concentration of awareness. His mind takes pleasure, finds satisfaction, settles & indulges in its theme-less concentration of awareness.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
praboobolbode

more light from Dipa Sutta (The Lamp):

Tasmātiha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu cepi ākaṅkheyya – ‘neva me kāyo kilameyya na cakkhūni, anupādāya ca me āsavehi cittaṃ vimucceyyā’ti, ayameva ānāpānassatisamādhi sādhukaṃ manasi kātabbo.

So if a monk should wish: 'May neither my body be fatigued nor my eyes and may my mind, through lack of clinging, be released from fermentations,' then he should attend carefully to this same concentration through mindfulness with in-&-out breathing.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #25
Wvq9InTM

therefore, we can be without doubt about the meaning in SN 47.42: Samudaya Sutta, where the Buddha teaches the following...

Manasikārasamudayā dhammānaṃ samudayo
manasikāranirodhā dhammānaṃ atthaṅgamo

With the arising of attentiveness there is the arising of Dhamma
With the cessation of attentiveness there is the cessation of Dhamma

Reply to Thread New Thread