LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
gerturiotf

Default Loeb rumors rumble on
Seb is set to test for GP2 team DPR in a group test in preparation for a possible drive with Torro Rosso at Abu.

Should be really interesting to see his pace in relation to some young tallent, but IMO having seen how tough Luca, Luizzi, Fisi and to a lesser extent Jamie's seasons have been after stepping into a new car mid-year I can't see a possible Loeb drive going well.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
StizePypemype

I'm sure if they put him in the 2nd Ferrari seat for the rest of the season then he'd kick Kimi's ass as the other 2 were supposed to do

Old 09-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
bZEUWO4F

It would certainly make rallying more interesting without him around

Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Bvghbopz

I wish they would just put this Loeb chap in a car for one race and get it out of the way. The guy is far too old to start an F1 career IMO, but it would be interesting to see how he does. Just abit bored of reading stories which never come to anything... Seems a waste of column space, so I say STR, just put him in a bloody car please and get it over with!!!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
khjhkfggt

I guess Loeb is getting sick of rallying too.

It would certainly make rallying more interesting without him around
Oh, burn!

Wait....................

Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
gerturiotf

Well the test went ahead. In the rain 18th, but 25th and last once the track was dry. Please, please, please don't get in a Torro Rosso Seb.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
infarrelisam

He ain't ready.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
bonyclayd

Ready?

So much is made of Loeb - his GP2 outing says much. It also indicates that those miniature sedans - surely the most pathetic looking rally cars ever - when compared to the fanatastic Group B cars of years ago cannot in any way prepare a driver for f1.

So, Loeb is slow and he had better stick to rallying. It really is no comparison in any way to f1 or probably f3.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Galvanoidum

Saint Devote, have you ever been in a World Rally Car? Have you ever driven an open wheeler? Unless you have how can you make a comment about Loeb. He is one of the most talented drivers of this era, of any form of motorsport. Give him a few solid days of testing in an open wheeler and he will be quite competent.

You just can't compare the Group B cars to the WRC's of today. The WRC's are so much quicker yet are still quite hard to drive right on the limit. Just like a F1 car of today is quite a difficult thing to drive, especially with the muscular fitness you need for the G forces.

Ray
PS yes I have been in a World Rally car and have driven competitively in open wheelers for many years.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
gerturiotf

I'm with Ray on this one. IMO Seb shouldn't step into an F1 car at Abu as he'd be woefully of the pace. However that doesn't mean he couldn't become decent at F1; Racing drivers of all types are able to get in any car and be pretty quick straight away, give them a week and they'll be within a few tenths per lap/km/etc. Its those last few tenths that are difficult to find (and make all the difference) which is why I'm still of the opinion that Loeb should not bother with F1 at this stage of his career, but to suggest he is a poor driver because he drive WRC is a bit much StD

Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Effofqueeno

What the f**k he asks from F1 now
I can't stand watching him in WRC and now I'm obligated to do the same in F1??
Because of his age I hope to do something like Badoer and go home

Old 10-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
AsmViktor

Kimi and Mika Häkkinen were both F1 drivers champs but never set the stages alight on their rally excursions so comparisons between the two are pointless.
Personally, I say good on them all for getting out of their comfort zones and trying other forms of motorsport and if you're sad enough to buy into the hype and get all wound up then more fool you.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
infarrelisam

Kimi and Mika Häkkinen were both F1 drivers champs but never set the stages alight on their rally excursions so comparisons between the two are pointless.
Raikkonen was very impressive - 3rd in his class if i remember correctly.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
education

Still won't do much worse than Algaesuckharry, or whatever the heck his name is...

Old 10-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #15
WaicurtaitfuT

Personally i think if a WRC driver gets out of the bottom 5 on a circuit test day, race, whatever....he's done well. Put a GP2 driver in a WRC car and it would be hard for him to finish, let alone set the stage times board alight! Those boys have been track racing for years....give Loeb a year in a GP2/F1 car and he'd be right up there!

Take the view of Martin Brundle, a decent F1 driver, he respects rally drivers so much because he actually had a go and failed on 2 Rally GB's. So the crap sedan comment was well off the mark......its like comparing football and rugby! The are all good drivers....but Seb IS something special, no question!!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 01:49 AM   #16
WaicurtaitfuT

Raikkonen was very impressive - 3rd in his class if i remember correctly.
Kimi had already done 4 rallies and alot of testing though! ...and Tommi had sat in the car and given him much tuition! But yes he is very quick in any car.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:10 AM   #17
ivandiadser

Wasn't Loeb fast in a Le Mans Prototype? IMO if he wants closed course racing LMS is better option than F1, he will be far more competitive there.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:59 AM   #18
OixKKcj1

Isn't there a ruling this year that teams arent allowed to test with current drivers straight away (ie they have to use drivers who havent driven an F1 before or for a while) so surely it would be better for them if to put Loeb in the car in the off season so he can get more time at the wheel

Old 10-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
bonyclayd

Saint Devote, have you ever been in a World Rally Car? Have you ever driven an open wheeler? Unless you have how can you make a comment about Loeb. He is one of the most talented drivers of this era, of any form of motorsport. Give him a few solid days of testing in an open wheeler and he will be quite competent.

You just can't compare the Group B cars to the WRC's of today. The WRC's are so much quicker yet are still quite hard to drive right on the limit. Just like a F1 car of today is quite a difficult thing to drive, especially with the muscular fitness you need for the G forces.

Ray
PS yes I have been in a World Rally car and have driven competitively in open wheelers for many years.
Let Loeb prove himself then, but until then he has shown nothing. Comparing an f1 car to the WRC cars cannot be done - they are totally different disciplines and f1 is the highest level of motor racing.

Loeb has shown no reason at all with his GP2 outing why Alguersuari should have to make way in Abu Dabi.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #20
bonyclayd

Personally i think if a WRC driver gets out of the bottom 5 on a circuit test day, race, whatever....he's done well. Put a GP2 driver in a WRC car and it would be hard for him to finish, let alone set the stage times board alight! Those boys have been track racing for years....give Loeb a year in a GP2/F1 car and he'd be right up there!

Take the view of Martin Brundle, a decent F1 driver, he respects rally drivers so much because he actually had a go and failed on 2 Rally GB's. So the crap sedan comment was well off the mark......its like comparing football and rugby! The are all good drivers....but Seb IS something special, no question!!!!
Yes, but in this case a WRC driver being compared is a world champion, not one of, and Brundle was nowhere near that level in f1, ever.

If Loeb is that good let him try but there must be no excuses and no crying if it is demonstrated he does not make the single seater grade at the higher levels.

Reply to Thread New Thread