LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Alulursuifold

Default Here's a better idea...
... unless you're legally blind and have one for seeing eye duty, just leave your dog at home.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67392

Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
indocrew

GMAFB Next thing you know Osama is going to use them at F1 events as suicide bombers

Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
StanWatts

Martin Brundle said during the ITV telecast that the area that the track was built on was populated already with many stray dogs. Im sure no one brought their dogs to the track, it's probably just one of the stray who call that area home.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Caregrasy

Yeah and I don't think snipers are going to help, even if they are filled with tranquilizers. I can't even watch the GP2 highlights for fear of seeing the dog run over. What position was Senna in at the time? What has he said about the incident?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
gechaheritt

Yeah and I don't think snipers are going to help, even if they are filled with tranquilizers. I can't even watch the GP2 highlights for fear of seeing the dog run over. What position was Senna in at the time? What has he said about the incident?
Senna worked his way to 6th from 15th when he hit the dog. He was pretty livid as you can see in the video (not least because he's out of the race but also because he's involuntarily killed a dog).

The producers pause the frame a fraction of a second before Senna hits it and so fortunately you don't really see the collision or the dog's aftermath. It is a very long camera shot anyway.

Here's the video (don't watch it if you are uneasy about it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j400C3IAOC0

Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
indocrew

Senna worked his way to 6th from 15th when he hit the dog. He was pretty livid as you can see in the video (not least because he's out of the race but also because he's involuntarily killed a dog).

The producers pause the frame a fraction of a second before Senna hits it and so fortunately you don't really see the collision or the dog's aftermath. It is a very long camera shot anyway.

Unbefreakin'lievable!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
rXpX

A similar thing happened in Australia during the Bathurst 1,000 one year, but it was Kangaroos hopping across the track. Can't remember which year it was though.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
gechaheritt

A similar thing happened in Australia during the Bathurst 1,000 one year, but it was Kangaroos hopping across the track. Can't remember which year it was though.
In last year's support race, skippy got pretty lucky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsBL51yj7ys

Obviously, for competitors it is much more dangerous when approaching animals in an open-wheel car than a touring or rally car. Just ask Christiano...

Old 05-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
StanWatts

If my memory serves me right, i think it was 2004. 2005 was the tyre hitting lowndesy so yeah i think it was 04. I remember it was Steven Richards that hit skippy, it was pretty horrific.

problem with roos though, you build a fence, theyll jump it

Old 05-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
bactrimtab

And something similar happened to Stefan Johansson at the 1987 Austrian GP when he hit a deer

Old 05-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
petrarkaponye

Stray dogs in Istanbul are a historic problem... Its history goes hand in hand with the history of the republic. During the '60 and the '80s when Turkey had 3 military coups, stray dogs in Istanbul were cited as one of the reasons for the coup, the military regimes of the time promising to eliminate the problem, alas with no results...

Every once in a while, there is a campaign to get rid of them, but usually such plans get axed before they bear fruit...

It was only a matter of time for the Istanbul hounds to get international fame!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #12
stastony

I didn't know former NFL player Mike Vick was driving that day

Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
lomonel

Heh. I remember that. Was pretty scary. Roo flew off like a helicopter

Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #14
lomonel

The Bathurst Kangaroo incident. Don't watch if you don't like seeing this sort of thing. Can't be more blunt than that. Wouldn't normally post it but someone mentioned the incident....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZB2ebYALM4

Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
snislarne

And something similar happened to Stefan Johansson at the 1987 Austrian GP when he hit a deer
a collision with deer during a Champ Car test at Road America almost killed Cristiano da Matta.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #16
snislarne

The Bathurst Kangaroo incident. Don't watch if you don't like seeing this sort of thing. Can't be more blunt than that. Wouldn't normally post it but someone mentioned the incident....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZB2ebYALM4
Here's a Kangaroo that got away, from the 2007 race
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Trr90QgxBnw

Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
Cofeeman

I nearly hit a cow once. I was going flat strap along the transmission line access track between Talbingo and Khancoban, crested a rise and there was this cow right in front of me. I just hit the brakes and the large cloud of dust that created made the cow run off up the bank on the side of the road. There was no way I could have avoided it as the track had a sloped bank on either side of the narrow track.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
wsbizwsa

I nearly hit a cow once, but divorced her instead.

Saw the footage last night from ITV4, they handled the clip very well. I didn't want to see it but did. Not to be grim though.

Really felt for Bruno, he was running well. Great race though, Caroon Chanduck is more of a hazzard than the dog was on Sunday, but I hope the team are compensated.

The pitt lane discussion was interesting, betwen Bruno and the tech guys.

Does anyone remember the hare and a DTM race in the 90's big Merc little hair, lots of damage.

They also say most accidents in the country are caused by animals rather than speed. Basically don't swerve just hit it. Except cows ,big mess.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #19
zlopikanikanz

I havnt watched the video but I did see all the white dog hair stuck to Bruno's front tyre. It was truly horrific. The Turkish officials need to fence the track off from the surrounding countryside properly to ensure this doesn't happen again. Luckily this time it was a poor unfortunate dog that lost its life, next time it could be a driver.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
MasTaBlau

Back in the 80's a Rabbit got on the track during the Indy500. I forgot who hit it but the replay show 1st the rabbit crossing the track then the Indycar bearing down on it followed by a thin red mist. If i recall correctly the car continued none the worse for wear.

Reply to Thread New Thread