LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 AM   #1
GitaraMoya

Default If Life Was Perfect
This episode was obviously a copy of the point of the movie Vanilla Sky.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
highattainlet

How is it similar to that movie in any way?

Anyway, that's a classic ep and spot-on. Even if I knew utopia were possible in this life, I wouldn't want it. It'd bore me to tears.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 AM   #3
Nabeqiv

Originally posted by Darius871
How is it similar to that movie in any way?

Anyway, that's a classic ep and spot-on. Even if I knew utopia were possible in this life, I wouldn't want it. It'd bore me to tears. Tom Cruise was living in a world he could make perfect, but he chose real life in the end.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
PetraCromlich

Originally posted by Apocalypse
Tom Cruise was living in a world he could make perfect, but he chose real life in the end. Ah. Forgot that part.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
ExpodoDop

Originally posted by Kidicious
Darius that's hardly believable. In the situation you are talking about you will hardly care about chance. You will mostly be occupied thinking about how bad your life sucked and wish for death. No, I'd look forward to the next day and think about how much further I could get to goal X. But I guess that's just a personality trait.

In a utopia, I can't even think of any reason to get up in the morning. There's nothing to earn that isn't already being provided, so what's the friggin point? I'd probably slit my wrists within a month or two.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
radikal

At times I suffer profound boredom. At other times, with no external change of circumstance, I enjoy a serene disposition. I've concluded it is all a matter of brain chemistry.

Give me the babes and the perfect world any day.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:34 AM   #7
AndyPharmc

Originally posted by LordShiva
Agreed. Giving one's life purpose People who need purpose in their life have low self esteem

Old 09-13-2007, 05:39 AM   #8
stastony

People who need purpose in their life have low self esteem You have it backwards

Old 09-13-2007, 05:41 AM   #9
Druspills

Because we aren't purposeless pieces of driftwood.

Or rather, in teh cosmic scheme of things, we are, so in teh absence of silly ideas like God or heaven, it's teh purposeful pursuit of happiness that gives our lives meaning. If you don't have purpose (you don't), then your life can not have meaning. Happiness is just what it is, happiness. Meaning and purpose have no value. They are illusions.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:47 AM   #10
cliceperperIa

You have it backwards How do I have it backwards? People with low self esteem need things to make themselves feel good about themselves, agreed? If you need a purpose for your life it is because you have low self esteem.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #11
Symnunidanimb

Old 09-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #12
geraint.faughn

Challenge != suffering. Kid is wrong.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 AM   #13
CGH1KZzy

How do I have it backwards? People with low self esteem need things to make themselves feel good about themselves, agreed? If you need a purpose for your life it is because you have low self esteem. No, people with low self-esteem believe they don't have the ability to achieve, and are content to just exist.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #14
ReginaPerss

Meaning and purpose have no value. They are illusions. Suppose they are. So what? If some (most?) people derive their happiness from an illusionary sense of voluntary purpose, sentient direction, etc., what would make them "happy" in a world with no such illusion? Petty amusements? Bread and circuses?

Old 09-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #15
Avoireeideree

No, people with low self-esteem believe they don't have the ability to achieve, and are content to just exist. Not true. Sometimes people with low self-esteem are very high achievers.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:07 AM   #16
Irravepem

Anyone who says a perfect life is worse than an imperfect life just doesn't know what the word "perfect" means.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:09 AM   #17
Gymngatagaica

voluntary purpose, sentient direction, etc This equals pain aviodance and work?

Old 09-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #18
pavelChe

This equals pain aviodance and work? Did I say that? No, but pain and work are at least necessary components for a sense of purpose and sentient direction to exist, as are pleasure and relaxation.

It's analogous to the statement that "good" cannot exist but for evil.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #19
Stacypettlerr

Did I say that? No, but pain and work are at least necessary components for a sense of purpose and sentient direction to exist, as are pleasure and relaxation.

It's analogous to the statement that "good" cannot exist but for evil. Why can't good exist without evil? Why is pain necessary for happiness?

Old 09-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #20
freddyujnf

Originally posted by GePap
When most people think of the perfect life, they imagine a life both physically and emotionally fulfilled.

hell, a happy Hermit may exiwst metrially day to day and still be free of desire and at peace, a "perfect" life. If anything, the lesson of that show should have been that anyone who defines "perfection" as merely being "material perfection" is bound to be sorely disappointed. Sure, I'd agree with that 100%.

I think Kid and I just went off on the tangent of whether a utopia can be achieved outside of the imagination. We might be capable of arranging material perfection, but very few people would find that emotionally fulfilling for long.

Reply to Thread New Thread