LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
VXHLrsO1

Default There is something seriously wrong with law enforcement....
Their story is implausible, why won't the guy admit he wanted a whore?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Rugda

The Palacios' definately need to sue the City.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
AALee

Something is rotten in teh state of Denmark.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
AnypecekceS

Women who nag

Old 09-14-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
tgs

A serious problem with law enforcement: cops not protecting people, cops beating/killing/wounding people.

A 7 hour misunderstanding like this that will result in a hefty settlement? Not exactly a big concern.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Irravepem

no, but is makes you wonder how big that iceberg really is if they can't even avoid entrapment or false arrests.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
9V4i8xw1

Originally posted by Wiglaf
A serious problem with law enforcement: cops not protecting people, cops beating/killing/wounding people.

A 7 hour misunderstanding like this that will result in a hefty settlement? Not exactly a big concern. I certainly stand by statement and am appalled that the intentional abuse of a citizen by depriving them of their freedom through the proactive action of law enforcement is "not exactly a big concern" is the position of anybody.

When we begin to let our personal vigilence of the freedom we have earned began to wane, then so will that freedom.

There is no abuse of citizens by government that is "not exactly a big concern". They all are. Everyone we let slide is one step closer to losing our individual freedoms.

Now, some may say that some individual freedoms may be let go for the collective good. That is certainly debatable...although I would certainly question its merit. This case is not one. If the facts are as stated in the article, then this is pure abuse of government power and the abusers should pay dearly.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
DurryVony

LOL - Wiglaf is just being his obnoxious self.

But okay...for the benefit of Wiglaf, let me suggest another thread title:

There is something a little bit off, with the Chicago PD

Better, Wiggy??

Asmodean

Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
Fdmnrnba

Originally posted by Asmodean

I mean for crying out loud, why can't they just admit on the spot that they've made a mistake, offer their excuses and let the family go What mistake? Allowing an undercover cop to invite herself into a car appears to be a crime from their POV, and that's exactly what took place.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
v74ClzKY

Originally posted by Shrapnel12
I'm actually gonna side with Wiggie on this one, though not a 100%. Plato, I would understand your outrage if the gentleman who was arrested was still in jail and was being actively prosecuted for the crime, but the charges were rather quickly dismissed. This is hardly a miscarriage of justice.

On the other hand, this is imo an example of overzealous enforcement of the law. Definitely entrapment and definitely is a legitimate cause for a lawsuit. I do hope those responsible are disciplined (not sure if they should be fired though). I agree it is a problem, even a serious one (that is should be taken serious I mean), but it is not a problem on the same level as other examples of police and prosecutorial corruption. I'd much rather be in Chicago then in Durham, NC for example. Typically this type of action by a police department is indicative of a policy toward getting the arrest regardless of the facts. I doubt that any rational person would believe that they just accidentally decided to arrest this man with his wife in the car and his daughter nearby after they flagged him down. That would be absurd to believe.

However, I do agree that there are worse things that police departments and prosecutors could do. That does not in any way lessen the severity of this type of action by police. Further, if the department really feels that they made an honest error, then why do they continue to deny this person their vehicle back and why do they continue to try to extort $4700 from him? IMO, this is a sign of a deeper problem.

How absurd is this. One error by a police department that is in no way systemic (and will be remedied via lawsuit) is not the same as surrendering a general liberty. Find another cause to gripe over.

Once again, to assume that this was just an accident and not an expression of this police force's operational methods is what is absurd here. Surely this will be "remedied" via a lawsuit, but it should never have occured in the first place! The fundamental deterorization of respect for individual liberty is clearly shown by the Chicago PD here...as it is by various other PDs across the nation. Police are now being trained that every person they come in contact with is an adversary and that they should be wary. That is simply not the case. They need to be trained on who they work for and the rights those people have.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:36 PM   #11
gogona

If this was indicative of their policy as you say, then I would think this guy would still be in jail. The prosecutors would most likely be on board. If the charges are just going to get dropped, why would the PD just spin their wheels like that?

Also it's only natural that they won't admit their wrong even if they know they are. Releasing the car would be like admitting they are wrong. They will stall and delay until the lawsuit is decided. Just like anyone who stands to lose a lot of money would.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #12
KeestRast

I doubt the department has this policy, since as we'll see, it will end up costing them a ton of money (just in this one case). I guess they aren't getting their $4,000 back because of red tape or some guy trying to hold onto his job. They'll get it eventually, plus quite a bit of interest.

There is a system of checks that will take care of this problem and discourage it from happening again. Relax. Yes, the man "will be made whole". That makes it all okay? That's just wrong. The individuals involved will get what? A "Don't do it again" lecture? The taxpayers of Chicago will pay dearly for their "mistake"...one they continue to exacerbate with the holding of this man's assets. The individuals should be held accountable for the abuse of the power they have been granted by the citizens. Further, these individuals should be required to complete training on what the rights of the people they supposedly serve are.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #13
myhackingtosh_ws

Originally posted by PLATO

Yes, the man "will be made whole". That makes it all okay? That's just wrong. The individuals involved will get what? A "Don't do it again" lecture? The taxpayers of Chicago will pay dearly for their "mistake"...one they continue to exacerbate with the holding of this man's assets. The individuals should be held accountable for the abuse of the power they have been granted by the citizens. Further, these individuals should be required to complete training on what the rights of the people they supposedly serve are. Wow. You do realize people are arrested, tried, and sentenced (sometimes to death) for things they didn't even do?

Our justice system has bigger problems than a guy looking like he picked up a hooker getting 8 hours of detention. It's just funny you're flipping out over the small fry.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #14
poekfpojoibien

Wow. You do realize people are arrested, tried, and sentenced (sometimes to death) for things they didn't even do?

Our justice system has bigger problems than a guy looking like he picked up a hooker getting 8 hours of detention. It's just funny you're flipping out over the small fry. No! It is exactly the same problem! I am "flipping out" over the bigger issue at stake here...and you have rightly named it. I would be "flipping out" over one of those cases that involved the abuse of police power just the same...because it is the same issue. Or are you suggesting that we overlook "small" abuses and just flip out over "big" ones? They both stem from the underlying lack of respect that police have or the rights of the citizens that they are empowered to protect. Degree is relevant only to the damage done, not to the underlying problem. We cannot, as a society, allow a distinction to be made...we must stand up to the abue of police power at all levels. Overlooking "minor" abuses will only encourage larger ones. That is the issue I am "flipping out" over.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #15
Tam04xa

The police here had cause to arrest this guy until more facts came to light. I guess I missed that part. What was the "probable cause"? Trying to help someone who flagged him down? Right.....

Old 09-15-2007, 01:55 AM   #16
skydaypat

Guilty until proven innocent. :nodsmileythingie:

Old 09-15-2007, 02:01 AM   #17
nanyaHgoc

By your own statement they "held him" before they determined if they had "cause".

Old 09-15-2007, 02:04 AM   #18
Amorsesombabs

Then why are they releasing him?

Old 09-15-2007, 02:06 AM   #19
cheesypeetyz

If I was him, I would just give my credit card to the whore and drive away...

Old 09-15-2007, 02:11 AM   #20
Britiobby

He had this excuse about the cop waving, and after more interviews maybe the cop said that was a possible explanation for what had happened. "Presummed guilty".

More facts came to light. "Proven innocent".

Thanks

Reply to Thread New Thread