LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
rostpribru

Default Ostrov (The Island) - 2006 movie
Has anyone else seen this movie? I thought it was a startlingly touching portrayal of Russian (and general Orthodox) monasticism. Everyone I know that has seen it thinks it is a very powerful movie.

I'm in the middle of internet debating with someone who insists on thinking that this movie is some sort of "Andrei Rublev" remake and has a very dim view of Orthodoxy. I guess he's got a right to his opinion, but he refuses to cite any references for his derogatory comments, or condemnations of Orthodoxy.

I guess I'm just looking for some different kind of input. Thanks one and all.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
WhiliaStelt

XB!!!

Dear Cyprian,

"Ostrov (The Island)" was recently shown in our parish hall in Russian, but I did not see it. However, it is being shown at the San Francisco International Film Festival on Wednesday 5/2 at 6:45 and Thursday 5/3 at 3:30 at the Kabuki Theater, if there is anyone in the Bay Area who wishes to see it on the big screen with English subtitles.

I plan to see it Thursday and will come back onto this thread to chat about it.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
JEWELMARGY

I've seen parts of it... I would love to see the whole film with English subtitles. My godfather watched it with some of our Russian friends from the parish, and they would translate it to him. The part where the repentant protagonist "exorcises the demon" of the abbot is amazing. It is truly wonderful that Russia is producing cultural capital like this movie!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
AriaDesser

Dear Cyprian,

Perhaps the person you are debating with isn't Orthodox? I myself saw the film before Easter, and again a couple of weeks ago. Each time I see it, it moves me in the same way that "The Passion of the Christ" did. No other films have that effect on me.

I personally have found it true to Orthodoxy and true to monasticism, as is possible to portray on film. The monk (can't remember his name) is constantly beseeching God for His mercy, which is what we all as Christians should do if possible. His forseeing of the future, then explained in riddles - why you read about this kind of thing in many saints lives of the past eg. read the book "The Northern Thebaid"; what about Blessed Xenia of St Petersburg; or St Seraphim of Sarov ...

The scene that moved me the most was when the fire had destroyed the Abbott's cell, so he decided that because the monk would not come and live with him, he would go and to stay with the monk in the boiler room. The monk comments on the Abbott's fine, comfortable leather boots, and beautiful heavy blanket. The Abbott remarks he can't wear any other boots so loves these ones, and his blanket - well a gift when he went to Mt Athos? - another thing he treasures. As they both lay down on the coals to sleep, the monk starts fanning the flames, and tosses the boots into the fire, then starts letting all the smoke into the room - making it impossible to breath, exclaiming he's getting rid of the demons. Eventually it's too much for the Abbott to take - he is choking not able to get enough air. The monk, frantically unlocks the door, grabs the other "demon" (the blanket) and tosses it into the ocean. The Abbott escapes the room ... looks at the monk ... and realises what had been happening - the monk was getting rid of the Abbott's treasures for a good purpose: we should have no other things before our eyes ie. earthly possessions, except love for Christ. You know, like the Scripture says "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." - Matthew 6:24. This scene - forever etched on my mind ...

Due to the fact that I'll be moving to a convent myself in 2 1/2 weeks, the movie probably has made an even deeper impact on me than on other people. I even gave a copy of it to some Protestant friends of mine, to somewhat open their eyes to the reality of the Truth! So as it not being Orthodox ... I don't know what your friend is talking about.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
varrozans

Is the film available in sub titles or no? DVD????

Old 05-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
electmobile

Thank you all for your encouraging words! Yes, the person I'm debating with is some sort of rabid humanist who just doesn't get the movie. Normally, I wouldn't even bother debating with someone like that because it's waste of time, but he's posted some rather unfounded derogatory remarks about Orthodoxy, and I've called him on his lies. Maybe I shouldn't have engaged this target after all...

Yes, the movie is available through Amazon.com, but be careful about the region. Region one DVD's work in North America, Region five one's don't.

Thanks again to all. And to those who haven't seen it: if you're Orthodox, you'll be moved by it. For the non-Orthodox, there have been a wide variety of reactions, mostly through misunderstandings.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:37 AM   #7
Percocetti

Is the film available in sub titles or no? DVD????
You can purchase the film on DVD (PAL format) with English and Russian subtitles. I obtained my copy via alldvd.com I had to go out and buy a DVD player that would play PAL format (Philips DVP 5140), which although somewhat difficult to find was not at all expensive ($50 at WalMart).

Fr David Moser

Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Bgfbukpf

We watched 'Ostrov' on TV in Moscow at Christmas time. Later, all the press in Russia said that it had the highest viewing figures by far of any programme in Russia over the New Year/Christmas break, and proved that people want enriching, quality viewing, and not 'seasonal' garbage. The main actor used to be a rock singer but playing the part changed him and he now only performs religious songs.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
shodulsilfeli

PS The set was specially built but has been kept and has become a real skete.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #10
gimffnfabaykal

XB!!!

Dear Cyprian and Friends,

Yesterday, I saw "Ostrov" in San Francisco at the Kabuki Theater, where it has been shown as part of the San Francisco International Film Festival. My immediate reaction was that it is miraculous that the film was chosen as part of this festival by an organization that I would not expect would be interested in such an obviously Christian theme.

"Ostrov" provides a wonderful illustration of how strongly rooted Orthodoxy is in Russia, even through Soviet times when the story took place. The film's popularity in Russia is an especially encouraging sign, particularly this month when my own Synod (ROCOR) is signing an act to re-establish canonical communion with the Moscow Patriarchate.

By the way, anyone who knows basic prayers and the 50th Psalm in Slavonic will not really require English subtitles to follow the story of this movie. I found the subtitles to be helpful in places, since my knowledge of Russian is limited, but since I understood the fairly simple Slavonic prayers the monks were using, I frequently did not bother to read the subtitles.

Do you all not agree with me that every Orthodox person should see "Ostrov"? I felt as though I were watching the re-enactment of the penitential life of a real fool for Christ. The character of Father Anatoly was so simple yet so engagingly complex!

Any other thoughts on this wonderful film?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:39 AM   #11
anenselog

PS The set was specially built but has been kept and has become a real skete.
Wow! That I'd like to know more about! Any ideas on finding more info?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:16 AM   #12
anolbom

Dear all,

I saw this film yesterday! It is wonderful, it is definitely Orthodox, and portrays a paradigmatic Orthodox monastic, a "fool for Christ". The music and the visual compositions are absolutely exquisite. It reminds me of Tarkovski, but without his obsession for cryptic messages (which was, of course, a way of tricking the Soviet censorship). Here, what you see is what you get; the depth of meaning comes from the spiritual depth of things depicted. Orthodoxy is anything but shallow.

I downloaded it from memocast.com, English subtitles included, for $ 5.99.

Sincerely,

Ana

Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #13
GfBTWMmV

Dear all,

I saw this film yesterday! It is wonderful, it is definitely Orthodox, and portrays a paradigmatic Orthodox monastic, a "fool for Christ". The music and the visual compositions are absolutely exquisite. It reminds me of Tarkovski, but without his obsession for cryptic messages (which was, of course, a way of tricking the Soviet censorship). Here, what you see is what you get; the depth of meaning comes from the spiritual depth of things depicted. Orthodoxy is anything but shallow.

I downloaded it from memocast.com, English subtitles included, for $ 5.99.

Sincerely,

Ana
Thank you Ana and all!

Is the movie digestible at all for a non-Orthodox, or should I plan to be in Orthodox company only while watching it? In any case thank you for informing us here because I never knew about this movie and I am so happy to hear about it.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
RBJamez

Kristos anesti!!!

Dear Nina,

"The Island" is actually a wonderful way to introduce non-Orthodox to our Faith, particularly because it demonstrates so well the power of simple faith and persistent repentence. There is no complicated Theology to digest. Anyone can understand and appreciate the story.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
bunkalapa

Kristos anesti!!!

Dear Nina,

"The Island" is actually a wonderful way to introduce non-Orthodox to our Faith, particularly because it demonstrates so well the power of simple faith and persistent repentence. There is no complicated Theology to digest. Anyone can understand and appreciate the story.
Воистину воскресе!

Dear Anna,

Thank you for the assurance! At least if it backfires, I can be an Eve and blame it on you all (I am joking).

Really, I look forward to watching the movie because you guys have really worked up my desire to know what Orthodox treasure I am missing. Thank you!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #16
Foucceedo

I've just obtained a copy of this film from a friend today, and look forward to watching it during the week, time permitting. All that I've heard of it has been very positive.

INXC, Matthew

Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #17
popandopulus

This is a truly remarkable film.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #18
tutkarussia

The movie is typical of the tradition of Fools for Christ. Like this one, many of the Fools obtained such grace through fervent repentence rather than the most stirct adherence to daily rules. Hopefully, a version will appear with at least English subtitles.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #19
WenPyclenoWex

Hopefully, a version will appear with at least English subtitles.
Your wish has been granted! There is a version easily available (I got mine on alldvd.com) that has both Russian and English subtitles. It is, however, in PAL format so your dvd player has to be able to handle that.

ArchPr David Moser

Old 05-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #20
AndrewBoss

Dear all,

I, like others, obtained this film by buying it on-line and downloading it from memocast.com, which includes the subtitles in English.

I've now watched it twice, and been terribly impressed both times. The film is, in essence, a study on repentance, and - to take up an expression I've already heard others use about it - the fruits of a persistent repentance on a variety of different kinds of lives and persons. The main character, Fr Anatoly, is the one whose repentance stands at the centre of the film; which takes a man, simple-minded from the first, and transforms his foolishness into a genuine foolishness-for-Christ. But his repentance transforms not only his own life, but the life of those around him. Both his abbots, already a meek man, and a superior monk of the monastery, Fr Job, an arrogant man, both find their own repentance through his. This was perhaps for me the most remarkable aspect of the film.

It is a truly remarkable movie. Cinemagraphically there are parts that are a touch overdone; but certainly not to a degree that detracts from the film overall.

INXC, Matthew

Reply to Thread New Thread