LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
arindiruppya

Default Another story of women having no say in India

Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
deermealec

Classic stuff... show up for your brothers wedding, and end up being the groom. AND EVERYBODY GOES ALONG WITH IT AND NOBODY HAS A PROBLEM WITH IT...

It must suck to be a woman in India.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
outfinofulpv

How do you know she's not okay with it? If the groom was a drunk perhaps she prefers the younger brother

Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
wCYvMKAc

Anyway - India is vast, and diverse. This made the news precisely because it was considered freaky enough that we in India thought that it was newsworthy, too. Freaky stuff like this keeps happening, there's not much you can do except wait for progress to catch up, and use other means to mitigate things for now.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
67Irralphaisa

I thought this was a regular occurrence
One time on Sidgames OT, we had someone spam something against Pakistan asking for money regarding womens' rights. People brought up plenty of instances of India being just as bad if not worse.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
BrodiKennedy

Sure.

If a bride didn't like the husband and he showed up at the wedding too drunk I think most brides would tell the husband to buzz off.

That's so disrespectful to her and her family.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
Nadin Maison

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Sure.

If a bride didn't like the husband and he showed up at the wedding too drunk I think most brides would tell the husband to buzz off.
She most probably isn't even educated, just like everyone else involved in the wedding. What do you expect?

The concept of the bride or the groom saying "No" to their families when they tell them to get married is unheard of in some backwaters. Bihari villages are prime examples of such areas. In fact, Bihar is the sort of "bad example" to other states. Everyone uses it as a standard reference for what not to be.

I know because people in Pune have become distrustful of student tenants after some bunches of Bihari students ruined the image of students coming from outside the state. I myself had difficulty getting a place to stay.

Of course, in the social circles in which I move, and have been born and brought up, this sort of thing would be completely unthinkable. The girls I know and who I count among my friends don't take any crap from anyone.

Here's to them

Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Iphone

His reaction after he realises that he lost his wife to his brother?

Yeah, that's pretty sad.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
DrKirkNoliss

Originally posted by aneeshm

Bihari villages are prime examples of such areas. In fact, Bihar is the sort of "bad example" to other states. Everyone uses it as a standard reference for what not to be. You mean Bihar: India=Mississippi: USA?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 PM   #10
asypecresty

Not West Virginia? I thought WV was the default. The state's shaped like a deformed, inbred hand giving you the middle finger, for crying out loud!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #11
yovbQVpD

Originally posted by aneeshm
Anyway - India is vast, and diverse. This made the news precisely because it was considered freaky enough that we in India thought that it was newsworthy, too. Freaky stuff like this keeps happening, there's not much you can do except wait for progress to catch up, and use other means to mitigate things for now. Was this news in India, or just for the rest of the world?

Reply to Thread New Thread