LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
Nurba

Default The future of in-car entertainment
I just watched a video on Jalopnik where they showed Ford and Microsoft's Sync system. Bloody impressive. USB your ipod or any USB compatible device into it and you can listen to it. And it's voice activated too, so you can search for tracks by talking to it. And it supports Bluetooth. They demonstrated listening to internet radio via a Bluetooth enabled 3g phone. Streaming internet radio on your car radio.
I have seen the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJkdnsgUMlw&eurl=
http://www.syncmyride.com
Sorry if this seems like a gushing plug for FoMoCo and MS, but it really is the way of the future and soon everybody will be doing it.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
f6HLLFcw

say i had a subwoofer with speakers (jbl creatures) that plugs in through usb and house outlet which the cars should have at least one in them. would it work in the car?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
evarekataVame

No, speakers are an output, not an input.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Nurba

That's true and they probably wouldn't work in this case, but...USB is a universal interface and it depends on the operating system (some form of Windows probably) if it supports other devices than mp3 players.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
sisuarmalmicy

Quote, originally posted by against the wall »say i had a subwoofer with speakers (jbl creatures) that plugs in through usb and house outlet which the cars should have at least one in them. would it work in the car?
USB car based radios are meant to only read USB devices. They don't save, edit, or even output any info.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
f6HLLFcw

ok then. thank you for answering my question.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
sisuarmalmicy

Quote, originally posted by pcread »I just watched a video on Jalopnik where they showed Ford and Microsoft's Sync system. Bloody impressive. USB your ipod or any USB compatible device into it and you can listen to it. And it's voice activated too, so you can search for tracks by talking to it. And it supports Bluetooth. They demonstrated listening to internet radio via a Bluetooth enabled 3g phone. Streaming internet radio on your car radio.
I have seen the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJkdnsgUMlw&eurl=
http://www.syncmyride.com
Sorry if this seems like a gushing plug for FoMoCo and MS, but it really is the way of the future and soon everybody will be doing it.
This isn't the future by any means. Bluetooth itself is restricted by it's own design by not offering things like Dolby surround sound due to it's narrow bandwidth. I may be mistaken but Bluetooth can't even support dual path info. Basically, the protocol has a master and slave unit. Only one can send info at a time. Like a walkytalky.
I expect Wifi to be the wireless of the future. It has a higher bandwidth and can handle a bunch of clients at the same time.
And then comes the question of how many people will pay for this kind of service. If only 10% of people pay for the optional rear tv then we are a long way for this to ever become big.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
Nurba

Don't get hung upon the individual technologies. Bluetooth may have restricted bandwidth, but is still higher than the current bandwidth of the mobile phones. When the phone system is no longer the bottleneck, the internal wireless connection will be addressed, either by a next gen Bluetooth or, as you say, by wi-fi.
The point is that these technologies are coming together to provide seamless ease of use in a way that has not been seen before.

Reply to Thread New Thread