LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
duncanalisstmp

Default Need a cheap subwoofer that can survive 120VAC
Going to be doing a project in my physics class and i was hoping to find an inexpensive subwoofer that can handle enough power to survive 120VAC (direct into the electrical outlet) Ive seen some big subs do it like a JL W7 but i dont want to drop nearly 1k on a sub for this lol.

Only needs to be able to do it for about 30secs, dont care about SQ at all just needs to live through it and be cheap lol

Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
i32I7qyH

Run two, or more, speakers in series? It would reduce the need for high power handling speakers, to prevent cone or coil damage, and would reduce the power draw from tyhe mains that may cause problems.

I assume this is to display the main's sine wave form?

Assuming 4 Ohm nominal resistance, it would seem it would be handling a peak power of
(120x1.142)^2 /4= 7200W IIRC, P=V^2 /R

As that would be well over the power handling capability of the mains supply, it would seem it would instantly blow. However, with inductance and impedance affecting things, it may be feasable.

Ask Will what he thinks, been a very long time for me, and it's the sort of thing he is up to date on.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
duncanalisstmp

Run two, or more, speakers in series? It would reduce the need for high power handling speakers, to prevent cone or coil damage, and would reduce the power draw from tyhe mains that may cause problems.

I assume this is to display the main's sine wave form?

Assuming 4 Ohm nominal resistance, it would seem it would be handling a peak power of
(120x1.142)^2 /4= 7200W IIRC, P=V^2 /R

As that would be well over the power handling capability of the mains supply, it would seem it would instantly blow. However, with inductance and impedance affecting things, it may be feasable.

Ask Will what he thinks, been a very long time for me, and it's the sort of thing he is up to date on.
Its a pretty basic physics class and we have just been talking about the differences in A/C and DC, magnetism and sound waves are next so i figured a sub would be a good way to tie them all together. Also a lot of people dont realize that speakers run on A/C so i figured this would be a good way to show that.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
amagmasia

Perhaps a power resistor and a less expensive sub? Perhaps your teacher can supply you with an AC power supply that you can set up to meet your needs? Perhaps you can pick up a powerful AC adapter with AC output?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
i32I7qyH

Perhaps a power resistor and a less expensive sub? Perhaps your teacher can supply you with an AC power supply that you can set up to meet your needs? Perhaps you can pick up a powerful AC adapter with AC output?
To expend on that, perhaps a signal generator hooked to an amp', to demonstrate the different sound at different frequencies?
Then hook a well damped mike to the amp. with an ascilliscope demonstrating the way the different instruments have differently shaped wave forms which produce the characteristic sounds of the different instruments at the same frequencies, etc?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
duncanalisstmp

yeah i was kinda going for "shock value" here to, i think most of the students would be suprised to connect the leads of a subwoofer and jam them right into an electrical outlet lol

If i did 4x ohm subs in series that would present a 32ohm resistance overall and using P=V^2/R would yield 450w (per sub or overall?)

Edit: i like the ideas you have but my college doesnt have any of that equipment so im doing this on my own, thus the cheap part

Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
jeockammece

would this not be extremely loud?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
duncanalisstmp

would this not be extremely loud?
depends how efficient the sub is, and without an enclosure that will make it no where near as loud, + being in a big open area.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
jeockammece

without an enclosure that will make it no where near as loud, + being in a big open area.
aaahhh yes, very true.

Reply to Thread New Thread