LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Breilopmil

Default Stephen Fry on grammar nazi's
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...zis-get-fryed/ [thumbup]

Old 03-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
Janarealiti

Nazis. A plural word is not a possessive or a contraction therefore does not need an apostrophe at the end.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
THOUTHCAW

Can I still be angry at the chavish demolition of English, transforming one of the most expressive and vibrant languages into a barely comprehensible blur of "like woteva innit" drivel?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Teligacio

so Will, what do you think of this? your the resident grammar nazi...[rofl]
you're*

I'll be keeping my Nazi status where grammar is concerned. I can't stand the total lack of interest in how to use the damn language by people these days.

Punctuation is one thing but when people don't even bother to learn how to spell a common word properly like "Tomorrow," not "Tomarrow" and "Ridiculous" not "Rediculous" it just annoys me.

If English isn't your first language that's fine, I don't have any problems in those cases cause I can guarantee I could spell words in their native tongue a lot worse than they do in mine but when you were born and raised in, say, the USA with nothing but English surrounding you and you managed to graduate high school and still can't spell "tongue" not "tounge" what excuse do they have?

Edit: Good video though lol. I enjoyed it. Showed it to a few friends.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Breilopmil

Nazis. A plural word is not a possessive or a contraction therefore does not need an apostrophe at the end.
I knew you'd be chaired to stir something up over that..[rofl]

Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
TZtrDuso

I see what you did there.
[rofl][rofl]

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
Daruhuw

you're*

I'll be keeping my Nazi status where grammar is concerned. I can't stand the total lack of interest in how to use the damn language by people these days.

Punctuation is one thing but when people don't even bother to learn how to spell a common word properly like "Tomorrow," not "Tomarrow" and "Ridiculous" not "Rediculous" it just annoys me.

If English isn't your first language that's fine, I don't have any problems in those cases cause I can guarantee I could spell words in their native tongue a lot worse than they do in mine but when you were born and raised in, say, the USA with nothing but English surrounding you and you managed to graduate high school and still can't spell "tongue" not "tounge" what excuse do they have?

Edit: Good video though lol. I enjoyed it. Showed it to a few friends.
That's not really fair though because many schools in the US are falling behind and students are not learning the language as well as they should. The idea you pose sounds great in text but until you take into consideration the different classes of people and the different schools they may go to, then you really cannot criticize them for the lack of English skills they may or may not possess.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Teligacio

That's not really fair though because many schools in the US are falling behind and students are not learning the language as well as they should. The idea you pose sounds great in text but until you take into consideration the different classes of people and the different schools they may go to, then you really cannot criticize them for the lack of English skills they may or may not possess.
I was focusing on the people who don't even care. You correct them(politely, not being a jerk about it) and they just keep on spelling it wrong, whatever word it may be.

Granted not all of them are like that obviously(my friend used to spell weird as wierd but I corrected her and from then on she has spelled it correctly) but I can name like 20 people on FM alone(who live in the US or Canada) who spell it "tomarrow" or "rediculous" or etc and I have politely corrected them and they just call me an ******* and continue spelling it wrong. Whether I am an ******* or not doesn't matter in the long run though they still don't give a crap about it.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
NEWyear

I was focusing on the people who don't even care. You correct them(politely, not being a jerk about it) and they just keep on spelling it wrong, whatever word it may be.

Granted not all of them are like that obviously(my friend used to spell weird as wierd but I corrected her and from then on she has spelled it correctly) but I can name like 20 people on FM alone(who live in the US or Canada) who spell it "tomarrow" or "rediculous" or etc and I have politely corrected them and they just call me an ******* and continue spelling it wrong. Whether I am an ******* or not doesn't matter in the long run though they still don't give a crap about it.
I agree with you here.

The mistakes I see here on FM are ridiculous. I wasn't even making those mistakes in middle school here in Malta.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
i32I7qyH

Agreed, sometimes it's very difficult to figure out what they actually mean.
It isn't that difficult - I used to be a terrible speller, but have improved significantly - most of my edits to posts are to correct the obvious mistakes*.
For the most part, I'm not too hung up on mistakes, but sometimes it's amusing to correct other's errors, just as they seem to enjoy correcting mine

Some of the UK car forums are terrible and they don't usually get much response, other than others asking them to repeat t he question in english!
The truely annoying thing is that many of the foreign posters have better language skills, even when it's a second, third or even fourth language - like some of the chaps here!

Most common one is to transpose a space and the first letter of the following word, eg, "repeatt he"

Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
kilibry

I persanlly tihnk taht all tihs gramar nazi talk is kinda stupid. I maean if yore online yuo should be able to sepell anything teh way yuu want right? I maen we arnt in shcool are we? So who rareely cares right? [no] EDIT had tto corect some typos!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
Tyncneiff

I'm not a good speller. I do care and I try to correct any mistake I notice. I struggle to spell words like 'tomorrow'. I can't remember if it's double m or double r, for example. I'm not a stupid person, I just suck at spelling, but not as badly as some.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
Knillagrarp

you're*
You're*

Spelling isn't everyone's strong point, but not knowing that a new sentence should be capitalised is just criminal.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Knillagrarp

You've gone to the trouble of capitalising his name but you don't know to capitalise sentences?????????? [ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban][ban]

Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Knillagrarp

I can't remember if it's double m or double r, for example
Think of a futuristic marrow and you'll always remember it.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
Knillagrarp

That is the one thing i bypass typing.. caps. I do capitalize names out of respect. I'm not a typist, getting allot better over the years and can two finger type pretty fast and the biggest thing i run across is mistyping. I do use spell check faithfully and if you use it it will make you a better speller over time. There, i capped it all this time.
I don't really care. I thought the 3 million ban smileys made it pretty obvious I was being ridiculous.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
CKDIWEQ

Since I've moved around quite a bit in my life, to five countries no less, and speak five languages I keep getting confused. Sometimes I feel like I speak no language fluently, it can be quite annoying. I find that my vocabulary suffers more than my spelling as a result of my nomad lifestyle.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
vulikox

Since I've moved around quite a bit in my life, to five countries no less, and speak five languages I keep getting confused. Sometimes I feel like I speak no language fluently, it can be quite annoying. I find that my vocabulary suffers more than my spelling as a result of my nomad lifestyle.
And yet, you're still better with grammar and spelling than most people on this forum even if it isn't perfect.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #19
Wckcvhsg

That is the one thing i bypass typing.. caps. I do capitalize names out of respect. I'm not a typist, getting allot better over the years and can two finger type pretty fast and the biggest thing i run across is mistyping. I do use spell check faithfully and if you use it it will make you a better speller over time. There, i capped it all this time.
Spell checkers aren't perfect. For example you've made the common mistake of writing "a lot" as if it was one word (there is a word "allot" but it means something else); that wouldn't be picked up by a spell checker.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #20
Affolfembonge

My grammar sucks, but i'm learning.

Reply to Thread New Thread