LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
steevytraunse

lol, this was a zombie movie. Were they undead? No. But the zombies in 28 Days Later weren't undead either. Even in the original it was overall the same plot, except you also saw it from the military perspective. A weapon that makes you violently insane and incoherent makes you into a zombie imo, whether you die 1st or not.
Where have you been? A disease/bio weapon that makes you go nuts doesn't not constitute the person becoming a zombie. If you check out dictionary.com you'll find that it says "the body of a dead person given the semblance of life" as the first definition for it. Did they ever utter the Z word in 28 days/weeks later? I don't recall them doing so and i just watched 28 days later yesterday. So no, i still have to say it wasn't a zombie movie. Zombie are mindless drones with one fairly large goal, to eat people. Were these crazies in the movie wanting to eat people? Nope, not in the crazies or in 28 days later. In these 3 movies they were just wanting to kill them, not eat them. Ask anyone and they'll tell you zombie = undead. Just asked my boss and he said the same thing, these weren't zombies. Hell i went out and saw it on a date sat night (her idea to see it) and she said they weren't zombies.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
Tamawaipsemek

Where have you been? A disease/bio weapon that makes you go nuts doesn't not constitute the person becoming a zombie. If you check out dictionary.com you'll find that it says "the body of a dead person given the semblance of life" as the first definition for it. Did they ever utter the Z word in 28 days/weeks later? I don't recall them doing so and i just watched 28 days later yesterday. So no, i still have to say it wasn't a zombie movie. Zombie are mindless drones with one fairly large goal, to eat people. Were these crazies in the movie wanting to eat people? Nope, not in the crazies or in 28 days later. In these 3 movies they were just wanting to kill them, not eat them. Ask anyone and they'll tell you zombie = undead. Just asked my boss and he said the same thing, these weren't zombies. Hell i went out and saw it on a date sat night (her idea to see it) and she said they weren't zombies.
Haven't seen The Crazies yet but I would definitely consider 28 Days Later a zombie movie, as would anyone I know I'm sure. Hell it's even listed as a zombie film on wiki.

"A zombie is a creature that appears in books and popular culture typically as a reanimated dead or a mindless human being."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie

Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
PyncGyncliacy

lol, this was a zombie movie. Were they undead? No. But the zombies in 28 Days Later weren't undead either. Even in the original it was overall the same plot, except you also saw it from the military perspective. A weapon that makes you violently insane and incoherent makes you into a zombie imo, whether you die 1st or not.
I don't consider any deviation from the George A. Romero archetypes to be genuine "zombies." But then again I'm pretty biased.

Own:

Night of the Living Dead VHS
Night of the Living Dead DVD
Dawn of the Dead Directors Cut VHS
Dawn of the Dead U.S. Theatrical Cut DVD
Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition DVD Box Set
-U.S. Theatrical Cut
-U.S. Extended Cut (Director's Cut)
-European Cut
Day of the Dead VHS
Day of the Dead DVD
Night of the Living Dead Savini Remake VHS
Land of the Dead DVD

Of course it doesn't discount that 28 Days and Weeks were good movies, just that they weren't zombie movies.

I wish that other directors would use horror to advance ideas like Romero did, use the subtext of horror to speak social commentary and highlight the human condition. All we have now are brainless gore flicks.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
steevytraunse

^^^ Amen. [thumbup][thumbup] I have to many zombie movies to recount what i have. Only have dvd's though so no vhs, but i do have night of the living dead upto land of the dead though.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
SonicPs

jfk, i need to take a damn nap
Don't you mean, "jfc"?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
TeveVikep

Of course it doesn't discount that 28 Days and Weeks were good movies, just that they weren't zombie movies.
28 days later and 28 weeks later are zombie movies. Get this, so is/are all the Resident Evils. I know, I know, back in your day zombies had to die first, wore bad makeup and moved at 2 mph (it is a wonder they ever killed anyone!). But things change. Old, immobile zombie stereotypes have changed. Now days, you can get infected by a supervirus one second, and be a deranged, fast zombiefied killing machine the next. No longer do we have to watch the hands digging out of the ground anymore, because we are no longer in the 60's, and we find that boring and cliche. No longer is a witch or voodoo doctor required to use mumbo jumbo that no one believes in to create a zombie, no, nowadays we rely on government or evil corporations with biological weapons to create more believable zombies that relies far less on supernatural deviltry.

The zombie genre has moved forward, you and anyone else can close your eyes and wish otherwise but there is a new direction in zombieflicks... and they all have one thing in common, they are bio weapon derived (The crazies, Zombieland, Quarantine, 28 days later, 28 weeks later, all 90 of the Resident Evil movies). Hell, even L4D1 & 2 are likely bioweapon derived, seeing as i am immune, since i get bit all the time.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
TeveVikep

Don't you mean, "jfc"?
I didn't spend money on that sarcasm punctuation or it woulda been right after the intentional k instead of c. Seemed to fit my previous mistakes nicely.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #8
TeveVikep

Default The Crazies
So i saw this yesterday and just wanted to say I really enjoyed it. It is a John Romero remake that wasn't made cheesy. It is a zombie movie in disguise, which I enjoy, that is scary/creepy/suspenseful. This is a genre movie, and in the zombie genre i give it an A+. There are better out there, but not many. Overall I give it a B+. If you are looking for a couple of hours of creepy, this movie won't disappoint.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #9
yharmon6614

John Romero? Or George Romero?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #10
TeveVikep

eff me, george

would be lacking the guns in guitar cases to be john

Old 02-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
jinnsamys

would be lacking the guns in guitar cases to be john
Do you mean Robert Rodriguez?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #12
TeveVikep

Do you mean Robert Rodriguez?
jfk, i need to take a damn nap

Old 02-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #13
steevytraunse

Actually, if you knew anything of Romero and his intentions, you'd know that the infected in this movie are not meant to be zombies, never were. The very basic plot/idea is what would happen regarding if your loved ones (friends/family) just suddenly turned on you and tried to kill you. No reason's what so ever. What's going on is these people are infected and what you see happening is the effect of the disease on the person.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #14
Siffidiolla

It was okay, but too predictable

Old 02-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #15
TeveVikep

Actually, if you knew anything of Romero and his intentions, you'd know that the infected in this movie are not meant to be zombies, never were. The very basic plot/idea is what would happen regarding if your loved ones (friends/family) just suddenly turned on you and tried to kill you. No reason's what so ever. What's going on is these people are infected and what you see happening is the effect of the disease on the person.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #16
Theateetetuig

@ John Romero comment.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
steevytraunse

I know, I know, back in your day zombies had to die first, wore bad makeup and moved at 2 mph (it is a wonder they ever killed anyone!).
Excuse me? How old do you think i am? Lol, i'm not old at all. Last i checked 25 wasn't old.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
TeveVikep

Excuse me? How old do you think i am? Lol, i'm not old at all. Last i checked 25 wasn't old.
last i checked, that entire paragraph was full of sarcasm. Apparently, not only is your zombie radar inoperable, but so is your sarcasm radar.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
steevytraunse

last i checked, that entire paragraph was full of sarcasm. Apparently, not only is your zombie radar inoperable, but so is your sarcasm radar.
Hello?!? Sarcasm has no place on the interwebs. You can never tell these days. As for my zombie radar, it's been intact since birth.

I still don't believe that 28 days later / Resident evil zombies are true zombies. For all we know in resident evil creatures have died and re-animated. Goto the wiki page and it describes them as "dangerous mutated creatures" not zombies. I still don't believe that you can be considered a zombie w/out dying first. That's just not how they first came about. Maybe this current generation has expanded the term to include those "infected" with a rage virus (ala 28 days later) or with a mutigen (like in resident evil). I just consider those either infected or a mutated creature.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
lopezsokero

Hello?!? Sarcasm has no place on the interwebs. You can never tell these days. As for my zombie radar, it's been intact since birth.

I still don't believe that 28 days later / Resident evil zombies are true zombies. For all we know in resident evil creatures have died and re-animated. Goto the wiki page and it describes them as "dangerous mutated creatures" not zombies. I still don't believe that you can be considered a zombie w/out dying first. That's just not how they first came about. Maybe this current generation has expanded the term to include those "infected" with a rage virus (ala 28 days later) or with a mutigen (like in resident evil). I just consider those either infected or a mutated creature.
Wow, really? You have to be the most dense person on the planet. Resident Evil zombies are zombies. They aren't anything else.

Reply to Thread New Thread