LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
beonecenry

Default ADSL / Phone Oddity
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone can figure out why I'm getting this weird problem with my high speed ADSL Bell Sympatico connection. I have a Alcatel Speedtouch Home that I've had for 7 years.

First, let me explain what happened. This weekend, I started getting slow speeds on my connection. Numerous phone calls and 4 days later, they send a technician over.

He check the phone line in my computer room and found that he couldnt get a stable connection. He checked the main phone cable that comes from outside and that one was fine. What he now does is add an ADSL POTS splitter where one phone line ( 2 wires) goes into the input, one phone line ( 2 wires) goes into my telephone box that distributes the phone to my entire house and one phone line ( 2 wires) goes into my adsl modem. He called the central office and said that everything was fine and left.

Ok, here's the weird part, I do some testing of my own ( dslreports.com ) and find that my connection is still not up to par. Discontent, I phone up Bell tech support, just then, I notice that my speed jumps up to my usual speeds. I explain it to the guy and he said he's gonna send a new modem over.

As a summary, my problem is :

With phone hung up, I get 15 ~ 30 Kb/s download and 609 Kb/s upload

With phone not hung up, I get my usual 4.1 Mb/s download and 619 Kb/s upload

Do you guys think a new modem will help ? ( I have an Alcatel SpeedTouch Home now )

Thx,
-Ilius

Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Avoireeideree

It sounds like you have a problem with low gain on your line. When you pick up the phone your line gets a healthier amount of current and you get a more stable connection. Sometimes your line provider will bump up your line gain if you make a polite but confident (i.e. sound like you know what you are talking about) phone call.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Saispapedlimi

Sometimes your line provider will bump up your line gain if you make a polite but confident (i.e. sound like you know what you are talking about) phone call.
To add to this, with Bell Sympatico, you MUST reach the Level 2 tech to get thing like this done. The Level 1 techs are just reading off a screen. To get a Level 2 tech, you must call between 8am and midnight, and be calm with the Level 1 techs as they run you through the usual (clear cookies, reboot modem, etc.), then politely but firmly insist on a Level 2 tech, or their supervisor.

If you get a really good Level 2 tech, you get get most things done quite easily. Though, with line issues, they may refer you to Bell Telephone support. But that depends on the possible cause of the problem.

Reply to Thread New Thread