LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
koebforfrn

Default What companies would you invest in?
If you had £1 million what companies would you invest in in the technology sector and why?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #2
Obenuearema

If i had £1 million i wouldn't... seriously

Old 09-11-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
P1international

I would probably stick about 800k in various mutual funds, and with the other 200k invest in some stocks, I personally would by some stv, amd, siri, aapl, and goog.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
koebforfrn

If i had £1 million i wouldn't... seriously
Aye it's for a uni project, I don't actually have £1 million lol

Thing is I have no real understanding of the whole thing, I was originally just going to invest in who I know, but was looking for a bit more advice form folk that know more about it.

Intel seem to be doing well share price wise, AMD would be a good bet for growth maybe?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
D6b2v1HA

Google Google Google.

[]Its taken over the world, the WHOLE WORLD![/]

Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
Apparpsmose

Technology = risky to invest in, therefore spread your money, or pick huge companies which address multiple markets.

For example: Microsoft, Google, Intel, and you might want to check out some Chinese companies too since they're all moving up nowadays

Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
koebforfrn

Google Google Google.

[]Its taken over the world, the WHOLE WORLD![/]
Yeah thats a definite!

I'll need to spread it over a few to reduce risk though, google is defo one of them

Who else would be a good bet? Sony getting stronger?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #8
RaicickKida

buy oil or something. tech share requires better timing, it would depend on you duration, btw when before you need to calculate your return?

for example i wouldn't buy AMD share now, i expect them to have a bad year. so i will wait for the price to come down then buy it at it's worst state. if it have a good year, i still doubt it would rise much, AMD has alot of debt which will eat it's thin bottomline; it is just not a good investment now.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #9
Apparpsmose

Yeah thats a definite!

I'll need to spread it over a few to reduce risk though, google is defo one of them

Who else would be a good bet? Sony getting stronger?
Companies like Sony / Philips etc. seem to be a huge hit or miss thing. So that wouldn't be smart (if you're planning to make money over time that is)

Same thing for AMD (they basically only invest in R&D of 3 products at a time)

Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
Dominick Yo

Aye it's for a uni project, I don't actually have £1 million lol

Thing is I have no real understanding of the whole thing, I was originally just going to invest in who I know, but was looking for a bit more advice form folk that know more about it.

Intel seem to be doing well share price wise, AMD would be a good bet for growth maybe?
And you have to invest it all in Tech Stocks? Talk about putting your eggs in one basket. Seriously though I'd look outside of the mainstream as well. Intel and IBM make some good bell weather investments but for a long term return also look to some emerging technologies. Think about companies involved in Nanotech and Biotech as well as of course investing in some clean/renewable energy companies. Also look into Cognitive Science companies involved with AI.

Of course it's very much dependent on the time frame you are talking. Those suggestions above are talking about decades ahead if you want to invest short term then you'd better start looking at the technicals, like RSI, MACD and the moving averages in general.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #11
M1zdL0hh

I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that I'd buy right now. I was buying Intel at $19, Microsoft at $23 and Nokia at $16.50 and I'm still holding all of what I bought but I wouldn't add to these positions at current prices. In fact, I'm considering lightening my Nokia position.

Dell is out of favor and selling cheaply right now but I'd never buy a Dell PC so I will never buy a piece of Dell the company.

I'm sure there are tech deals to be had out there, I just haven't really been investigating any lately so I can't say.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:12 AM   #12
goldcigarettes

northern rock probably

Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 AM   #13
posimoka

Start-ups. Only start-ups. Or wait for IPOs for emerging companies like VMWare, Zillo, and so forth. VMWare started out at about $25 and made it up to around $60 (as I figured - about 2.5x is what I expected) by the time the first day of trading was over.

You don't make money buying already big companies - MSFT, Oracle, Apple, etc. only move like 2% on a good day. That's what long-term investors put their money into for stability. When you're young, you go balls to the wall and do high risk, high reward crap. If I had put $1000 into the company I was working for, I'd have about $15k right now in cash (HP bought us for cash, so I get cash for the stock). God help me if I had a lot more shares.

Stock trading - baseball cards for rich white men.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:36 AM   #14
koebforfrn

Sorry for not giving more info

It's basicly part of my Finance module, a groupwork with 8 other people, were working as a team and we've split up into seperate sectors, so I chose Technology 'cause it's something I'm interested in and generally know what companies are doing well etc

So that's why I only have choice of tech co's and only in FTSE 100 I think (not 100% on that)

It's over the course of 6 or so weeks, got to chose initial investments, then within that 6 weeks I've got to make atleast 1 change, then sell up at end and see how I've done.

So for that reason I probably won't consider AMD, that would need to be more long term

Although!

The lecturer did say that it wasn't necessarily about how well you do interms of how much money you make, it's more about the rationale behind your decisions.

So for that reason it might be good for me to buy AMD with the reasoning they are releasing new stuff soon, but then switch to Intel? that could be my change

When are Barcas out again? is it before year end or next year?

Old 09-11-2007, 02:45 AM   #15
Diortarkivoff

northern rock probably
Well it cant get any lower can it...so the only way is UP

Old 09-11-2007, 02:47 AM   #16
Angeheade

I would do mutual funds with high interest accounts. Stocks would require a lot more attention and are much more risky then a mutual fund.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:00 AM   #17
posimoka

Buying mutual funds means you pay some bozos that are paid way too much to do the work of figuring out the stock market a bit for you.

The only other options I can think of that are probably better than mutual funds would be hedge funds (read: no regulation, less costs to them, but no protection for you if they do suck), but they normally don't even think about you as a customer unless your net worth is $5 million+, so it's probably not worth a mention for most people in general.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #18
Dominick Yo

Sorry for not giving more info

It's basicly part of my Finance module, a groupwork with 8 other people, were working as a team and we've split up into seperate sectors, so I chose Technology 'cause it's something I'm interested in and generally know what companies are doing well etc

So that's why I only have choice of tech co's and only in FTSE 100 I think (not 100% on that)
Well that would simplify the choice there aren't that many Tech stocks in the FTSE 100. And because of that you won't be buying AMD as it isn't listed. To be honest though if you are looking at the FTSE100 there really isn't that many Technology choices you are limited to Vodafone, BT and Cable and Wireless and they are arguably Telecommunication companies.

You said you had to think short term to which leaves you with the need to do some analysis and focus on the kind of technicals I was talking about find some oversold Tech stocks and you will do well. [yes]

Old 10-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
Zfdeisde

Well it cant get any lower can it...so the only way is UP
Unless it gets bought out....

Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #20
quorceopporce

Probably Air China or one of the up and coming Chinese budget airlines

Reply to Thread New Thread