LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
xochgtlm

Default Who's got the new razr?
Well i'm in the process of getting myself the new razr2 v9m and i got to thinking. Who here has gotten the phone or plans on getting it?

Old 02-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
pouslytut

It’s a very popular phone over here, especially with the female customers as its slim and fairly functional. Its not too bad specification wise, although its still a Motorola and they are pretty poor when it comes to general setup and usability - that and the fact the original Moto RAZR was an absolute nightmare in terms of support.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
bestonlinepharmasy2

Now that plenty of slim phones are availble, I don't know why someone would want to suffer horrible failure rates and crappy user interface

Old 02-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
we0MA4MI

I got it, bought it last week, sweet phone, cool features, great battery life. what else do you wanna know about it ?

Old 02-11-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
xochgtlm

Now that plenty of slim phones are availble, I don't know why someone would want to suffer horrible failure rates and crappy user interface
Define horrible failure rates and crappy UI. Have you seen the size of this phone? It's the slimmest one out there right now.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #6
EzequielTMann

Define horrible failure rates and crappy UI. Have you seen the size of this phone? It's the slimmest one out there right now.
The Europeans don't understand the availability of cell phone in the US.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
nd90t3sf

The Europeans don't understand the availability of cell phone in the US.
Yeah. Seriously. What they consider a standard slightly crappy cell phone is what Americans consider top of the line. :P I saw a show on cell phones once on G4. They've got all these badass phones and we've got... crap. Hell, we're not even 100% GSM. All these different carriers with their different networks. Its so stupid.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
xochgtlm

Haha, yea. We are so behind in cellphone tech (both the handsets and networks) that it's not even funny. We are ever so slowly catching up though on cellphone tech though. One day we will finally be even. The thing though is that the v8/v9m is the latest from motorola and not last years tech.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
Breeriacoirl

I got one, through Sprint.

Very nice phone, very functional and good reception.

Had it for about 2 weeks now.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
xochgtlm

I got one, through Sprint.

Very nice phone, very functional and good reception.

Had it for about 2 weeks now.
How's the battery life on it now that you have had it for awhile? Thats who i'm with so i'll be getting the same phone.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #11
Breeriacoirl

It's pretty good, make sure you let the battery fully die and fully charge a few times.

Watching TV and long periods of web browsing will drain it quicker than normal, specifically the tv.

Otherwise, i love the phone, you can read txt's on the outside screen and watch tv and radio on outside screen.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #12
Evelinessa

I think the reason North America is so far behind on cell phone tech is partially cultural and partially due to such cheap land line rates. South Africa is just as cell mad as the UK which is surprising is isn't not exactly the technological capital of the planet. When I moved here from Canada about 5 years ago I couldn't believe the phones people had, regardless of their economic standing. Land line calls aren't "free" here though and actually cost way too much so now I find myself having only a cell. I keep it very basic though.

Also, when I still lived in Canada there was a bit of a stigma associated with owning a cell. The only people I knew with a cell were drug dealers or moms with "pay as you go" phones who just kept them in their cars for emergencies. Owning a cell was basically a symbol that you think quite highly of your social importance. Its obviously changed quite a bit as all my buddies have a cell now but I think it's only recently that the mass market has really been there.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #13
bestonlinepharmasy2

Motorola doesn't understand the concept of marginal utility

When they brought the RAZR out it was a lot slimmer than the competition, hence it was "buyable".

Just being a little bit slimmer isn't enough to overcome the drawbacks.

I had an article in the newspaper that didn't make it look good, double digit failure rates in 2 years. Nokia didn't do well either. But you can google such things if you really care about.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #14
EzequielTMann

Motorola doesn't understand the concept of marginal utility

When they brought the RAZR out it was a lot slimmer than the competition, hence it was "buyable".

Just being a little bit slimmer isn't enough to overcome the drawbacks.

I had an article in the newspaper that didn't make it look good, double digit failure rates in 2 years. Nokia didn't do well either. But you can google such things if you really care about.
Do you know what marginal utility is?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #15
bestonlinepharmasy2

Do you know what marginal utility is?
the point is, that making a slim phone even slimmer has a smaller marginal utility than the slimming step before that even it shrunk by the same amount of milimeters

maybe I should be more precice, diminishing marginal utility from making a phone slimmer

Old 03-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #16
outdog

I think the reason North America is so far behind on cell phone tech is partially cultural and partially due to such cheap land line rates. South Africa is just as cell mad as the UK which is surprising is isn't not exactly the technological capital of the planet. When I moved here from Canada about 5 years ago I couldn't believe the phones people had, regardless of their economic standing. Land line calls aren't "free" here though and actually cost way too much so now I find myself having only a cell. I keep it very basic though.

Also, when I still lived in Canada there was a bit of a stigma associated with owning a cell. The only people I knew with a cell were drug dealers or moms with "pay as you go" phones who just kept them in their cars for emergencies. Owning a cell was basically a symbol that you think quite highly of your social importance. Its obviously changed quite a bit as all my buddies have a cell now but I think it's only recently that the mass market has really been there.
Matt, I want to differ with you slightly. I feel that the reason the US is behind on cell phone tech is more due to economic reasons. There are however many cell phone companies in the US, and they have to upgrade the entire landmass that is the US. Compared to the world, this isn't such a big mass, but when comparing the cost of upgrading the US vs UK, you can see what I mean.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #17
tropicana

Not sure about that argument either... Most Chinese have a mobile phone in a country roughly the same size as the united states.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #18
EzequielTMann

Not sure about that argument either... Most Chinese have a mobile phone in a country roughly the same size as the united states.
Yes but the population of China is very concentrated along the coast, I doubt there are very many cell towers inland.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #19
xochgtlm

Matt, I want to differ with you slightly. I feel that the reason the US is behind on cell phone tech is more due to economic reasons. There are however many cell phone companies in the US, and they have to upgrade the entire landmass that is the US. Compared to the world, this isn't such a big mass, but when comparing the cost of upgrading the US vs UK, you can see what I mean.
Now that does makes sense about some of the backend tech behind cellphones. Then again though the cellphones though should still be up to par with whats over in europe/asia. The one thing though i wish is that the US was all one tech, instead of this iden/cdma/gsm over here. That is also what i believe is holding back the US from being up to date with the rest of the world. By having a split networks over in the US, there are less company's to share resources to upgrade the network and work together.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #20
Evelinessa

Matt, I want to differ with you slightly.

Actually, your explanation does make a lot of sense. I'm just talking kak, as usual.

Reply to Thread New Thread