LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-14-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
XqrkN4a0

Default Help with travel to New York
So I'm thinking about trying to make a trip out to New York in January. I'm not looking to go for New Years or anything, just figure that the prices for travel will be cheaper after New Years rather then early December. I'm kind of thinking about only trying to be out there for about three days, I know it's a short time to see New York but I'm trying to tag this trip onto a couple days down in Vegas to visit my mom (she lives about an hour south of Vegas) and a friend down there. My question here though is I have no idea what areas of New York are "good" and the scale of things, ie if a hotel is 5 blocks from somewhere is that an easy walk or better to find transportation. I really would rather stay near the city core and walk everywhere, I don't mind walking all day as long as I'm not having to walk into bad areas or cross pedestrian unfriendly areas. With only being there a few days I wouldn't mind limiting myself to seeing just a few things that are all kind of close by, Empire state building, museums, etc.

Anyone travel to New York or live near/in NY and have any recommendations for somewhere to stay that is fairly decent (don't plan to be in my room besides sleeping so area is more important) and is fairly priced, I know prices are insane there but the cheapest of the decent places.

I'm already looking at just under $600 for total fight costs (if I book soon that is) and just looking a little bit I've found the Radisson Lexington Hotel New York located at 511 Lexington Ave which claims to be a 3 star hotel but the reviews seem pretty terrible for it, however, location seems to be great. It would be about $660 for three nights.

I guess just any general information on the the best deals (not just the lowest prices but the best deals for a decent area and decent price), also, any student deals are a plus and I have a valid student ID.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Tauntenue

The time I went I stayed here http://www.nycsalisbury.com/attractions.html

It is right near several attractions, all within walking distance. But you might want to think about a subway pass it made things much easier.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
XqrkN4a0

The time I went I stayed here http://www.nycsalisbury.com/attractions.html

It is right near several attractions, all within walking distance. But you might want to think about a subway pass it made things much easier.
What did you pay there? Any special rates for students or booking with a flight? Did you book from their site or using priceline or something like that? Ya, I'm not opposed to taking the subway, I just love walking around cities and running across things to do or see so I like to be right in the heart of cities but I know areas can turn bad very fast. Also, will this place hold your bags for free (or a small fee?), my goal is to take a flight out of NY late in the day (5 or later) yet most check outs seem to be noon and I don't want to waste that extra two or three hours just at the airport.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
XqrkN4a0

Any other New York guys or any other people that travel to New York a few times a year?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
putza

How's about a hostel? There's plenty of them in New York. I bet they'd have cheap rates in January. You said you were a student right?

Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
joulseenjoync

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735251

IC is way better than the Radisson.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
XqrkN4a0

Hmm, that offer seems decent but the dates are not within my range, I've got family visiting for Christmas, however, I see in that same thread a deal for the Westin! It's $199 a night which is kind of a bit much still but my grandparents stay in the Westin any time they go to Seattle and from my understanding the Westin is really an awesome hotel so I might have to go for that!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
joulseenjoync

Hmm, that offer seems decent but the dates are not within my range, I've got family visiting for Christmas, however, I see in that same thread a deal for the Westin! It's $199 a night which is kind of a bit much still but my grandparents stay in the Westin any time they go to Seattle and from my understanding the Westin is really an awesome hotel so I might have to go for that!
Yeah or your could just Priceline a 4* - should be able to get one for around US$100 per night.

http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

Old 09-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
BarBoss

Just make sure you return before 1-18-08 (UK- 18-01-08) as theres gonna be a monster attacking New York on that day! [rofl]

Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
XqrkN4a0

Yeah or your could just Priceline a 4* - should be able to get one for around US$100 per night.

http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding
Ya, I did the bid on Priceline once for when I was getting a place in Spokane and it worked out fine, I didn't save as much as I probably could because I didn't know really how low I probably could have gone but I got a real nice place right in downtown but for NY I wasn't sure if I wanted to risk bidding or for sure know where I was staying. God I would have loved that Westin rate for $199 but that seems to be only for frequent flyers of some program or something. Maybe I'll pick a 5 star for like $129 or something and if I can get that then either look around a bit more for sweet deals for places like the Westin and then fall back on bidding for a four star near $100 if I have to.

Still, if anyone has any awesome deals for the first week in Jan on air travel or hotels in NY, NY or Las Vegas please let me know! I would also still love any recommendations on great hotels to stay at in NY that are not way expensive.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:57 AM   #11
boleroman

http://nymag.com/urban/guides/nyonth...vel/hotels.htm

I'd go with the Union Square Inn.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #12
XqrkN4a0

Just make sure you return before 1-18-08 (UK- 18-01-08) as theres gonna be a monster attacking New York on that day! [rofl]
I wouldn't mind being there for that

Reply to Thread New Thread