LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Filmania

Default Your intellect is daunting
Title refers to the first bloke who rang me this morning:

Customer: "Hi, I've got a problem with my PC in that it keeps crashing, but it's really random. Can I bring it in today for you to look at and you run it for a few days until it crashes?"

Me: "Yes, that shouldn't be a problem."

Customer: "OK Great, can you do it while I wait?"

Obviously somone who looses a battle of wits with a potted plant.

Secondly:

Customer: "Hi, I need a good computer for my daughter. We need a fast dual core processor, lots of memory, a big hard drive and at least a 19" LCD monitor."

Me: "No proble, let me do you a quote and we'll see what kind of price we come up with"

Customer: "Oh, and I have £150 to spend."

Me: "Erm.. £150? You do realise that will just about get you the monitor? A full PC like you described will probably start at about £450-£500?"

Customer: "I thought you were meant to be reasonable!" *click*

God I love my job so much.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
N1bNXuDb

*Hands Hexus a stiff drink*

Most of us have, sadly, experienced similar. [help]

Old 07-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #3
cucceevevaind

Yea, at my work there are stupid people too.

The price of the computer is about $450 (plus tax), and they were asking if it came with a monitor, I said that it was just for the computer itself, no monitor.

So, they kept on browsing, and they're looking at a samsung 20" monitor, which ran for about $300, they ask me if I would throw that into the deal aswell, I said of course.

So anyway, I go up to ring it through, it came out to around $750 (~$860 after tax), and they're like, tax is 15% on $450, and they think that they should only be paying around $500.

I show them what's included on the bill, of course they thought I was going to throw a $300 monitor ontop of a $450 computer for FREE.

Yea, that's how business works, and EVERY store but ours does it appearantly /sarcasm

stupid people.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:01 AM   #4
Filmania

Most common thing we get with our PC's is our small £175 base unit.

It clearly say's: "Base only, no OS" but people always say "And that includes a 17" LCD and XP yeah?"

Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
steevytraunse

A mate of mins used to work for a support line for computers and once got a call like this:

Customer: "Hello, I thin there is a problem with my computer, it just shut down and I can't get it to boot up again"
Support: "Okya, have you tried the power button"
Customer: "Yes
*support says multiple things to try and figure out the problem*
Support: "Well I've exhausted all the advice I can give you over the phone, perhaps you would like to come in and see us in person"
Customer: "Oh okay, sure, what's you address?"
Support: "You got a pen?"
Customer: "Hold on, let me find one, I can't see much caus we have just had a power blackout"
Support: "Okay, well nevermind that, I can tell you what to do... go find the box your computer came it, pack it up, and send it away, becuase you don't ****ing deserve a computer!"
*click*

He lost his job after that... but I reckon it was oh so worth it.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
ThzinChang

So, they kept on browsing, and they're looking at a samsung 20" monitor, which ran for about $300, they ask me if I would throw that into the deal aswell, I said of course.

So anyway, I go up to ring it through, it came out to around $750 (~$860 after tax), and they're like, tax is 15% on $450, and they think that they should only be paying around $500.

I show them what's included on the bill, of course they thought I was going to throw a $300 monitor ontop of a $450 computer for FREE.
Well when smeone says "will you throw this into the deal?", 99/100 times that means "Will you give me this for free as part of the deal?"

That's just basic comprehension.

Usually, if people want something as well, to be paid for full price, they would say something like "Can I buy this as well?"...

Most of the time, I find myself either disgusted or laughing at sales people. 99.99999999999999% of the time they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about or have such basic comprehension of what they are selling that they are absolutely no use in giving any type of guidance.

What is worse is when they do have limited knowledge of their field and then become fixated on a certain aspect of the product - Then there is no helping them, you can basically ask any type of question and they will go back to that one little bit of knowledge they have.

Really, the sooner the general public becomes more educated about what they want and the number of sales people becomes less and less, the better the world will be.

Just for anyone elses knowledge - PC world have the most technically inept staff going.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
leadmoffer

Well when smeone says "will you throw this into the deal?", 99/100 times that means "Will you give me this for free as part of the deal?"

That's just basic comprehension.

Usually, if people want something as well, to be paid for full price, they would say something like "Can I buy this as well?"...

Most of the time, I find myself either disgusted or laughing at sales people. 99.99999999999999% of the time they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about or have such basic comprehension of what they are selling that they are absolutely no use in giving any type of guidance.

What is worse is when they do have limited knowledge of their field and then become fixated on a certain aspect of the product - Then there is no helping them, you can basically ask any type of question and they will go back to that one little bit of knowledge they have.

Really, the sooner the general public becomes more educated about what they want and the number of sales people becomes less and less, the better the world will be.

Just for anyone elses knowledge - PC world have the most technically inept staff going.
so true... half of the tecchie 'nightmare' stories with the public involve, what seem to me, as a basic lack of comprehension and communication skills on behalf of - wait for it - the tecchie.

the monitor story up there is just a case in point... yes there are idiots out there who walk into a store and need a kick up the arse but sometimes computer nerds need a good slap in the face too

Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Siliespiriulk

A mate of mins used to work for a support line for computers and once got a call like this:

Customer: "Hello, I thin there is a problem with my computer, it just shut down and I can't get it to boot up again"
Support: "Well I've exhausted all the advice I can give you over the phone, perhaps you would like to come in and see us in person"
Customer: "Hold on, let me find one, I can't see much caus we have just had a power blackout"
Support: "Okay, well nevermind that, I can tell you what to do... go find the box your computer came it, pack it up, and send it away, becuase you don't ****ing deserve a computer!"
*click*

I think he was pulling your leg. I have heard that one before and IIRC it was from an MS support line in the US.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
steevytraunse

I think he was pulling your leg. I have heard that one before and IIRC it was from an MS support line in the US.
Well if he was plulling my leg, than I declare my leg pulled off! [rofl]

Old 09-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
Aniplinipsync

Yea, at my work there are stupid people too.

The price of the computer is about $450 (plus tax), and they were asking if it came with a monitor, I said that it was just for the computer itself, no monitor.

Yea, that's how business works, and EVERY store but ours does it appearantly /sarcasm

stupid people.
If you said you would throw that in on the deal, then yes, they would be getting it for nothing, hence the expression "throw it in". [rofl]

Old 09-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #11
oemcheapdownload

Well if he was plulling my leg, than I declare my leg pulled off! [rofl]
That joke has been told in many various forms.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:53 AM   #12
EzequielTMann

and they're looking at a samsung 20" monitor, which ran for about $300, they ask me if I would throw that into the deal aswell, I said of course.

I think he is humouring them and not being serious.

of course they thought I was going to throw a $300 monitor ontop of a $450 computer for FREE.

He is actually stating now that they thought he was giving it to them for free.

Yea, that's how business works, and EVERY store but ours does it apparently /sarcasm

He really was joking, you know!

stupid people.
I should think 99.99% of people in the UK know that, and because there is a PC world in the USA, I should think most people there know that too.

The staff employed, are not real people their actually specially trained shaven monkeys disguised as real humans.

Although don't mention that to the FM member, Nozzer!
As it might instill some form of Identity crisis.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #13
Eltabaco

I should think 99.99% of people in the UK know that, and because there is a PC world in the USA, I should think most people there know that too.

The staff employed, are not real people their actually specially trained shaven monkeys disguised as real humans.

Although don't mention that to the FM member, Nozzer!
As it might instill some form of Identity crisis.
I'd have thought the lad would consider "specially trained shaven monkey" a compliment.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
DesautocaD

once i asked a salesperson if they had any cas2 ram and they didnt know what cas was.
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude !!!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #15
QQQQQ-Trek

once i asked a salesperson if they had any cas2 ram and they didnt know what cas was.
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude !!!!!
Did you expect them to? That type of stuff very few people care about, most of whom don't ask salespeople questions.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
DesautocaD

well, how are you supposed to know if they have any, if you don't ask them ?? Maybe run to the backstore and browse the place ?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
oxixernibioge

Most PCWorld staff (sorry Noz!) are incompetant morons. When I first started my career (just left school), a friend and I both went for a job at pc world to get our foot in the pc business. We were both declined as we "knew too much" They employ people that will be told by their supervisers that black is actually red and white just doesnt exist; and pass that on to the customer - no ifs or buts.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #18
IronpumpedLady

*click*

I've heard that before - think that's actually a joke

Old 11-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #19
steevytraunse

I've heard that before - think that's actually a joke
As was realised 10 posts earlier.

Reply to Thread New Thread