LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-08-2023, 11:20 PM   #1
EricHudson

Default Advice on career
Hi there, I would really love to get some Godly opinions on the career I’m thinking of persuing.

I graduated university within the last year where I studied a degree in theatre and performing arts. At the time of applying to unis I had the mindset of training to become a professional actor. (Yes I was young and naive and this was also before I completely gave my life to Christ, although I did have a faith even then.) After graduating I was pretty certain God had different plans for my life even though I left uni with an acting agent. After a few months of attending auditions and gaining bit parts here and there, I’ve discovered that progressing in this career is less about your ‘talent’ and more about what your willing to do. If a role requires excessive swearing for example, the production company will find someone who is willing to comply rather than change anything.

I’ve often thought perhaps God wants me to persist with acting and being the light in this rather dark industry, however I can’t help but think that this is a dream of the flesh and not something God is calling me to.

I work as a ward assistant in a hospital as my survival job and I really enjoy helping patients. I love getting to know them even though the circumstances can be sad. An elderly Christian man I got to know over a few weeks suggested I look into hospital chaplaincy- I know his intentions were good but I nearly had a fit! There’s no way I Would have the skills to become ordained! However, since this I can’t help but think maybe God is nudging me to join in some form of ministry. I also volunteer at the youth groups at church and am enjoying these.

I know this is something I will continue to pray over and seek wisdom from those who know me but would it be wise to ditch Acting completely and focus on my current job and possibly seeking more ways to serve in church?

I’m still in my early twenties, single, living with my parents and a bit confused!
Thanks for reading, your advice is appreciated!

Old 06-09-2023, 09:51 AM   #2
GordonReid

This post is a bit old, but I feel your pain. I'm currently struggling with jobs, and I wonder what God has prepared for me. Sometimes, I feel like I'm losing faith.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:00 AM   #3
AngelaJohnston

It's awesome that you're seeking Godly opinions on your career path. Figuring out what God wants for your life can be challenging, but don't worry. You're not alone in this journey. It sounds like you've had some realizations about the acting industry and how it may not align with your values. Considering other options, like hospital chaplaincy or serving in ministry, seems like a great idea. Don't underestimate the impact you can have in helping others through your current job and volunteering at youth groups. It's all about finding fulfillment and following God's lead. As for me, I'm actually thinking of switching careers too. I recently came across some info about classes for future electricians at*https://www.electricianclasses.com/. Check it out if you're interested, but hey, I'm new here, so it's nice to connect with you all!

Reply to Thread New Thread