LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Abraham

Default Russians vs. Americans
Hi everybody. My name is Sergej. I'm from Latvia. It is the small country in the territory of the former USSR. I've never been in New York, USA, but i'm interested in the culture of other countries. We (russians) use to watch hollywood movies, eat hamburgers, drink coca-cola, but we can not understand american mentality. In this topic I invite You to speak about our differences.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
FinanseMikky

We (russians) use to watch hollywood movies, eat hamburgers, drink coca-cola, but we can not understand american mentality. In this topic I invite You to speak about our differences.
At this time, America is deeply and evenly divided. There are two American mentalities: that of Bush and his supporters and that of Jeffersonian liberalism.

Bush is supported by Christian moralists and big business, as was Germany's leadership in the Thirties, while the opposition is unable to assemble a program to appeal to centrists. The next election will, however, reflect the nation's disillusionment with today's government.

Some illustration of America's division, turmoil and incoherence can be found here: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9402

Lots of babble makes a rabble.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Buincchotourbss

No, you are a rouser....

Old 08-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
netamargr

We (russians) use to watch hollywood movies, eat hamburgers, drink coca-cola, but we can not understand american mentality.
To better answer this, what is your impression of the American Mentality?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
sbgctsa

To better answer this, what is your impression of the American Mentality?
Dear Zippy,
Your questiuon is too global to answer it in several words. There are two sides of American Mentality for me. The first side admires me. The second forces to feel sorry about Your Great Nation. But it is only my impression, only my point of view, depending on my Russian Mentality. For example American life style both admires and surprises me. Some aspects are simply inexplicable.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
Uplillacype

For example American life style both admires and surprises me. Some aspects are simply inexplicable.
If you could give some examples, we might be in a better position to provide you with information. Specifically, give some examples of things that surprises you about americans and something that you find inexplicable.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #7
Aztegjpl

Hi everybody. My name is Sergej. I'm from Latvia. It is the small country in the territory of the former USSR. I've never been in New York, USA, but i'm interested in the culture of other countries. We (russians) use to watch hollywood movies, eat hamburgers, drink coca-cola, but we can not understand american mentality. In this topic I invite You to speak about our differences.
Serjei - I was born in St Petersburg in the former Soviet Union and have lived in New York for the past 11 years. I can tell you that your general assumption about the American culture is not the right one. Secondly, New York City is quite different in many ways from the rest of the country (just like Moscow is quite different culturaly from the smaller cities). Americans - especially those who care about their health - eat fewer and fewer hamburgers and drink less Coca Cola (both Pepsi Co and Coca Cola invested quite a bit in the past few years in Juice and Bottle Water business).

I think it would be a good idea for you give us some examples of what you don't like in the American culture. I predict that some of those things you don't like are just misconceptions about the US culture.

As far as GW Bush is concerned, his approval rating in Russia is higher than it is in New York where about 90% of people don't like him and don't support his policies (especially the Iraq war).

Old 08-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Misiotoagodia

Serjei - I was born in St Petersburg in the former Soviet Union and have lived in New York for the past 11 years.
As far as GW Bush is concerned, his approval rating in Russia is higher than it is in New York where about 90% of people don't like him and don't support his policies (especially the Iraq war).
А русский ты ещё не забыл? Про Буша полностью согласен.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #9
Muesrasrs

А русский ты ещё не забыл? Про Буша полностью согласен.
Let's stick to English, as that's the language other people speak on this forum.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
bensabath

Let's stick to English, as that's the language other people speak on this forum.
Ok. that'll do!

Old 08-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
Xodvbooj

If I were to view America only based upon the images that America sends out via music videos / TV shows / advertisements (which is what the majority of the world -- including those in Russia -- sees as "American Culture") I would be (and often am) appalled.

You should be aware that all of those ^^ are forms of "selling" a product -- and only reflect what is going on in the head of the marketing divisions of the companies selling you their goodies. Those images have little to no relation to what goes on in the day-to-day life of Americans.

American films have for the most part turned to dross ... once in a while a good film appears (almost miraculously!). Very few films reflect anything honest in their depiction of America.

As far as the American "life style" -- There are now almost 300,000,000 American citizens who each, individually, make choices about how they live their lives. Almost all would most likely say that their choices are based in their belief in a pursuit of personal freedom in order to enrich the lives of themselves and their family / loved ones (both monetarily and in the broader sense).

As Ablarc points out those beliefs tend to split from that core position into two very divergent directions.

One thng that joins most Americans at this particular time is the belief that America is moving in the wrong direction -- a sense that we as the United States have veered off the road that was leading us to the goals of Individual Liberty, Freedom from Want & Fear and Unity as a Country.

Or that America has been hi-jacked by some group with a different agenda

The big question before us as Americans is do we have the intelligence and the fortitude to get things back on track? Or have those who have hi-jacked the agenda taken America so far off course that we are at the point of no return?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
bingookenoo

Dear MrSpice,
the first thing i feel is that You are adjusted to me as to the enemy. It is not truth. i respect Your Nation, and i told that we are very different. it doesn't mean that i don't like something in american culture.
SilentPandaesq asks me to give you one example of a difference in our mentality. Ok. For example let's speak about gifts. Russians use to make very smart expensive gifts to their family or friends on their Birthdays or New Year (like Your Christmas). Sometimes gifts cost more then a half of a total income of a month of a men who gives. i think that it is not logically for you. i don't want to discuss if it is good or not, but it is fact. and it is the example of difference.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #13
fhutiussk

Dear Lofter,
You are right in many things You told about. I'll answer you tomorrow. Now it is evening at Riga (the capital of Latvia, the city i live in). It was nice to tolk with You. Thank You all to Your answers.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:53 PM   #14
ssyyyrruho

Dear MrSpice,
the first thing i feel is that You are adjusted to me as to the enemy. It is not truth. i respect Your Nation, and i told that we are very different. it doesn't mean that i don't like something in american culture.
Do not think that, so long as you are genuinely inquisitive and willing to accept what people say, we will be insulted by what you dislike about America, or what you have been presented (especially since you are asking us what is real and what is not).

MrSpice is just not being too, well, diplomatic in his phrasing. All he is saying is, give us a few of your conceptions or misconceptions about the US and we will try to set you strait. We are not looking to prove you right or wrong, just to give you information on a VERY large topic.

BTW, if you do not know what we are telling you, or asking you, do not be afraid to say so. The reason a lot of people do not learn these days is because they are afraid to ask about something they do not know...

SilentPandaesq asks me to give you one example of a difference in our mentality. Ok. For example let's speak about gifts. Russians use to make very smart expensive gifts to their family or friends on their Birthdays or New Year (like Your Christmas). Sometimes gifts cost more then a half of a total income of a month of a men who gives. i think that it is not logically for you. i don't want to discuss if it is good or not, but it is fact. and it is the example of difference. That is hard to say.... We give gifts as well, but the ammount may differ depending on the occasion. The sad part is, with the media trying to convince us that "Every Kiss Begins With K (Diamonds are forever)" and the like, our own views are getting a bit to materialistic.

We are, ironically, turning our chief religious holiday back into the pagan celebration it replaced!!!

So do not think that we are all that different. SOmetimes it is the subtle differences that are the most puzzling, and can sometimes cause the most trouble!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #15
Kliopeion

What do you want to prove me? that all people are the same? When i was driving from job this evening, i thought about why it is so hard for me to give You example of our mentality differences. In the beginning i thought that my english lexicon is rother poor that i can't explain my thoughts. But then i understood that i can't formulate even my ideas. And it's truth!- how to explain what does mentality means? It's how we perceive the World aroun us. And the differences in our mentalities are not so significant, but there are too much of them. Speaking with You i feel our difference, but it hard to explain where exactly it is. I can tell exact, i feel agresssion from the most of You. But i tell nothing agressive, intoducing myself. and if one of You will come to ANY Russian forum and tell in RUSSIAN (!) that he is interesting in the culture of Russia, i am assured, nobody will be agressive to You. NOBODY in ANY forum! May it is the first great difference.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #16
QwOpHGyZ

nah, you are not seeing aggression here. Most are simply asking you to tell us more about what you see and feel.

Seeing the difference may be hard, but telling us how you see things, or how you see Americans in general (like asking about what puzzles you) would make it easier for us to explain.

Right now yuor question is on the line of "Tell me about science". It is very broad, and we have no clue where to begin.....

NOW GET SOME SLEEP!!! It's late!

Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #17
Kghyutgykim

i feel agresssion from the most of You.
You may think you feel it, but is it real? Perhaps you should read again the posts in this thread; you might change your mind.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #18
VXHLrsO1

What do you want to prove me? that all people are the same? When i was driving from job this evening, i thought about why it is so hard for me to give You example of our mentality differences. In the beginning i thought that my english lexicon is rother poor that i can't explain my thoughts. But then i understood that i can't formulate even my ideas. And it's truth!- how to explain what does mentality means? It's how we perceive the World aroun us. And the differences in our mentalities are not so significant, but there are too much of them. Speaking with You i feel our difference, but it hard to explain where exactly it is. I can tell exact, i feel agresssion from the most of You. But i tell nothing agressive, intoducing myself. and if one of You will come to ANY Russian forum and tell in RUSSIAN (!) that he is interesting in the culture of Russia, i am assured, nobody will be agressive to You. NOBODY in ANY forum! May it is the first great difference.
The reason why you think people are being agressive to you is because - I assume - of your poor English skills. I read through all the replies and did not notice any aggression. So, before you come to any forum and make statements about agression, please make sure you understand what people are saying to you.

All people were saying to you was: if you want to make a point about differences in cultures, give us an example and we can discuss it. Here is the same in russian:

Бля, ты что, совсем отмороженный что-ли? Никто тебе зла не желает и никто тебя обидеть не хочет. Просто если ты что-то говоришь про Американскую культуру и как тебе что-то в этой культуре не нравится, приведи конктретный пример а не кидайся на людей с обвинениями что они агрессивные.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:55 AM   #19
DoterForeva

You may think you feel it, but is it real? Perhaps you should read again the posts in this thread; you might change your mind.
Actually MS..... You sound kind of harsh right there!!!

[evil criminal mastermind voice]You MIGHT change your mind...[/evil criminal mastermind voice]

Old 08-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #20
soSldI4i

Here is the same in russian:

Бля, ты что, совсем отмороженный что-ли? Никто тебе зла не желает и никто тебя обидеть не хочет. Просто если ты что-то говоришь про Американскую культуру и как тебе что-то в этой культуре не нравится, приведи конктретный пример а не кидайся на людей с обвинениями что они агрессивные.
WHAT did you say about his mamma???!?

Reply to Thread New Thread