LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Quick$bux

Default It Looks Like The Missus And I Are Officially Going Green
My fiancé and I were both in the market for new vehicles. She drove a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo, and I a 2007 Ford Edge. Her car was over-heating and needed thousands of dollars worth of parts and labor to get it running, and considering she had it for almost 14 years, I decided she deserved something much nicer. My Edge, while still fairly new at only 5 years old, was having considerable electrical issues regarding the stability control. Unfortunately the warranty expired, and having quotes upwards of $3000 to fix the issue was seriously making me re-think trading the vehicle in for something new. I was originally thinking about a Range Rover Supercharged, but considering how little I drive and how much of that driving is in the city, gas mileage would be horrible and all of its off-roading features would never be used.

What She Got: 2013 Toyota Prius

I seriously had no idea how nice these things were on the inside. Granted we got the top-of-the-line model, but this thing has solar cells on the sunroof that keep the interior cool as long as there is sunlight. Visit the beach on a hot summer day, and the car remains nice and chilly when you step in. Very nice. The 50+ MPGs do not hurt either. Bluetooth, Pandora and Spotify Apps built into the Nav System? Yes please.

What I Got:
2013 Chevy Volt

Wow, the inside of this thing reminds me of a cockpit in a F-35. There are digital gauges everywhere, displaying the efficiency of your driving and every diagnostic you can think of in regards to how your vehicle is functioning. Voice activated GPS, 8 Speaker Bose System, Media Apps for Weather, Spotify, and Pandora are at your disposal. It has a rear-backup camera coupled with both front and rear collision detection devices. There's even a parking assist. The craziest part is I can start my vehicle with an App on my phone and check real-time diagnostics at a whim. It's the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. Plus, considering I drive less than 40 miles a day, there's a good chance I will very rarely ever use the gasoline/hybrid driving system (electric all the way baby).

Oh, and I get a (much needed) $7500 rebate on my 2012 taxes from Uncle Sam.

This all works out kind of perfect, as it's good publicity for us to drive eco-friendly vehicles when we open up our eco-friendly Juice, Smoothy bar, and Fitness studio called The Green House next month in our downtown Scottish city called Dunedin. Life is good.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Biashpainabix

[thumbsup]

We really need that smilie...

Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
DesautocaD

I drove a rental Pruis a year or so ago, I beat on it like crazy and it wasn't completely awful.

It was much better than I thought it would be.

I've never driven a Volt though, it's weird driving in pure electric mode though, all silent.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Alice_Medichi34

I've never driven a Volt though, it's weird driving in pure electric mode though, all silent.
It really is. So much so that there is an installed "chirp" function you can use to alert pedestrians/bike riders when you are approaching (the thing is damn near silent). Surprisingly, it has great pick up when driving in electric-only mode.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
avaincmolla

Acceleration should be very decent up until you hit motorway/highway speeds. As it only has one gear the torque is really lacking in "high" speeds.

At least so it has said in the reviews.

The Volt really looks very good. Although I think that the Ampera is a bit better looking.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
galaktiusman

It really is. So much so that there is an installed "chirp" function you can use to alert pedestrians/bike riders when you are approaching (the thing is damn near silent). Surprisingly, it has great pick up when driving in electric-only mode.
I think electric motors have immense ammounts of torque, so it should you back into the seat to an extent.

Nice pair of cars and some good features like you mentioned. If it makes sense for you, go for it.

--- Post Update ---

The Volt really looks very good. Although I think that the Ampera is a bit better looking.
Because it doesn't have an American-looking grille.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
ligeplodore

Because it doesn't have an American-looking grille.
Agreed. American car manufacturers have a tendency of over doing it in the front grille area.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
avitalporatova

Nice cars

Nissan kept joking with me about getting a Leaf when I was getting the GTR, apparently there is a Nismo Edition Leaf on the way now also!

Do you have 3 phase power at home to charge them?

Have you looked at getting solar for your home?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
alias

Blimey - two cars at once

Did you buy outright, or finance?

Stuck with my VW Polo Bluemotion here. then again - its from my work, meaning I don't pay tax, insurance, running costs or fuel (even my private fuel is covered ). Only thing I pay is minimal tax via my salary, linked to the value of the car (about 110 euro a month in my case).

I find it ironic that they give me a fuel efficent car, but then I don't have to pay for fuel, so it does not exactly encourage me to drive in an economical way!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
SallythePearl

I don't know why you guys don't just adopt diesel over the pond.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
jokiruss

They have, but only VW Jetta's.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
capeAngedlelp

Blimey - two cars at once

Did you buy outright, or finance?
I was going to buy the Prius cash, but with both cars having only 1.9% financing, we used the bank's money instead. Plus, we plan to double up on the payments once the new business is open to get them paid off sooner. Thankfully at 1.9%, very little is going towards interest

Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
fapourfasiark

Because there's nothing more nauseating than being stuck behind a diesel on the road. At least when it comes to certain trucks anyway.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Arrocousa

Because there's nothing more nauseating than being stuck behind a diesel on the road. At least when it comes to certain trucks anyway.
I don't think car diesel engines used over the last decade would give that feeling. I suppose you've just demonstrated a way in which diesels are perceived in the US. Over here at least, they offer a great option in pretty much any car because of low consumpton, low emissions and high torque.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Opinion_counts

How's the acceleration in the Volt?

I've been looking at the Volt, the Fit EV (which barely meets my needs), or maybe a Santa Fe with the turbo motor. I'm leaning towards an AWD SUV style vehicle because of the winters, but I'm really interested in getting a high MPG vehicle.

I need a daily driver for a 60+ mile commute if I get this new job. My PT Cruiser gets around 19 on the highway... I love my cruiser, and it can certainly get up and go, but I want a car that doesn't chug premium like a fat man with a case of beer.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
dupratac

They have, but only VW Jetta's.
My TDI Golf is offended by this statement.

Truth be told, pretty much all the VW models have a diesel option. The Passat, Golf, Jetta, Jetta Sportswagon, Beetle, and Toureg
http://web.vw.com/tdi-clean-diesel/index.php

Audi also offers Diesel, though this isn't really significant since VW and Audi are essentially the same company. But Mercedes also has a couple of options for Diesels as well.

The new diesels coming out now are considerably cleaner then they used to be. So much so that the new VW TDI's are considered cleaner than their gasoline counterparts.

There has been an increase in Diesels sold in the US lately source. Several other companies appear to be gearing up to begin selling Diesels in the US as well, including Mazda, Chevrolet, Chrysler, and more. http://www.thedieseldriver.com/2012/...-in-the-u-s/2/

Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #17
ttoothh

Whats the price of diesel like in the US compared to petrol? In the UK it's about 2-3% more, which is wrong really.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
TughEmotteTug

I also remember sitting behind a hatchback of some sort at a traffic light and noticed that it was a diesel. They had a fat exhaust pipe and a huge black stain going up the back bumper from it, among the other 'riced out' accessories. I seem to remember that one giving off some pretty nasty fumes as well.

But yeah newer ones should be much better.

And I think it's priced similarly over here, slightly more expensive than gasoline. I seem to remember it being a good bit cheaper than gas at one point, but I can't remember what changed all that.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
SusanSazzios

Whats the price of diesel like in the US compared to petrol? In the UK it's about 2-3% more, which is wrong really.
It is more expensive to refine, hence the higher cost.

--- Post Update ---

Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
evennyNiz

It is more expensive to refine, hence the higher cost.

Hmm yes maybe, althought I thought refining was near as damnit the same, and insignificent anyway.

Was always lead to believe diesel cost less to produce. One of those statements is obviously a myth. Maybe diesel is just more in demand.

Reply to Thread New Thread