LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
GtmFeqJJ

Man, do I miss HS golf. Free golf everyday. It was glorious. I quit baseball to take up golf and have not regretted it one bit. I still played basketball though.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
b7RKli4l

I started playing when I was a senior in high school. Looking back, I definitely wish I would have started playing when I was much younger. I didn't really have anyone in my family that played, so I didn't have anybody to get me into the game until then. When I have kids, I will definitely give them the option of playing when they are younger. I don't want to force it on them, but it will definitely be encouraged.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
2CNWXAqN

I always hear guys that played football in h.s. say they wish they'd played golf. I never hear a golfer say he wish he'd played football.

I started golfing when I was 6. In h.s., we had full access to one course and partical access to the c.c. And, in college we had one course. I do remember the day my college golf ended and I moved to DFW. The free golf was over. I didn't play for 2 years 'cuz I now had bills to pay. haha.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
ansarigf

My dad always says he wished he started earlier. Heck, I started when I was 14 and wish I started earlier.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
herrdwq

I started playing when I was 7. I played on the high school team from 7th grade until I was Senior. Then college golf. I miss those days, a lot. I was pretty good back then.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
GaxyGroordrep

We did not have a golf team in HS. Baseball and Basketball was about the only choice..

Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Loxaeed

Didn't play golf at all when I was younger. My high school had a golf team, but golf just wasn't the "it" thing to do. Wish I had someone around me that encouraged me to play though. I have a lot of catching up to do since I didn't start playing until my mid 20's. It's embarrassing to see these 14/15 year old kids driving the ball right down the middle and swinging perfect while I am struggling.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
TNgqZhLR

My high school didn't start a golf team until I was a senior, so there wasn't much other opportunity. With that said, I do wish I had gotten determined to be good at golf at a young age. However, what prevented it was my swing. I did not have a quality swing and was a definite hacker, so I didn't really enjoy it that much. It wasn't until I was in my 40's that I started understanding some of the basic swing principles and *why* instructors were emphasizing certain things to me. Had I learned those things earlier and gotten the feel of a quality swing, I think I could have progressed to being good. Probably not great, but good.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
SigNeewfoew

I really didn't play at all between the ages of 12 to 20 and I do regret that now. However, I spent all my time playing basketball, which was my passion back then and I'm not sure I'd trade any of that time away.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Old-old-Ivy

Depends on how you start. I started pretty young (13? 14? It seems young NOW) but I just...played. Instruction was at most "hold it like this...close enough, go hit a few drivers and don't bug the members". I developed both a real love of playing and a whole host of bad swing habits that are ingrained now and probably forever.

When my daughter starts, if she shows ANY interest...not gift or talent, interest...lessons are the first thing. She can play all she wants, but with a solid base she'll be good for life.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
cxddfrxc

Played from the age of 5 till 15. Started again when I was 23. Yeah I regret not playing the years in between. On the other hand I played soccer, tennis and squash. Got to set some sort of limit . I remember that I didn't really focus on the game back then. Too much energy and not enough patience to continue.

I do have a lot of benefit from playing at such a young age. Picking up the game 1.5 year back was quite easy. Swing was still pretty good. However my short game was terrible.

But golf is a game of all ages. Hell, my granddad is 81 and he's still a 19 handicap .

Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
benderkoz

Noooo, I took up golf about age 4 or 5. Had lessons by age 6. Played in high school. My only regret (and one I couldn't control) is that by age 9, we moved from a community with a golf course that had a pga pro, to a community with a golf course with no head pro, or anybody for that matter other than a greens keeper. So basically, I had no professional coaching after age 8.

~Rock

Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
VogsHoock

I started playing high school golf my juinor year. I wish I could take all the money that was spent on me for other sports and put it towards golf lessons when I was a kid.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
homerdienru

Ha, glad to see I'm not alone in this boat. I agree with yall, golf wasn't the "in" thing then.
With my boys, I tell them all the time I wish I'd have played. One tries ,but is going to college on a
baseball/academic scholarship, the other is still tinkering with playing ,but the school doesn't
have a solid athletic program as far as teaching or coaching. If he shows interest then I'll
probably set him up with some lessons and see where it goes.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
feannigvogten

I played high school golf. I regret not practicing more as a kid, but worked full time days in the Summer as a "yard boy" at the factory my Dad worked at my last two years. If I would/could have practiced those two Summers I could probably have played small time college golf. That I regret.

Kevin

Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
treawittelf

Sometimes I wish I would have played high school golf but I would have had had to quit baseball. I had a lot better chance of getting a state championship ring with baseball. And I would have too if not for stupid Jake Peavy and his ridiculous high school team.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
quorceopporce

I certainly wish I started playing earlier, but I didn't know any better back then, I was focused on my choice sport at the time, hockey, and didn't think about anything else. I know for a fact I wouldn't be any better right now, but with as much fun as I've had in this sport so far I know I would have had fun!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
antipenq

My high school was really small so it wasnt that hard to get onto the golf team. We were lucky to have enough people to have a team. The summer after freshmen year was when i started to play golf because i got a job at a golf course as a bag boy. I started playing for the high school team that fall. The sad part is I was the best golfer we had all three seasons I played. Looking back I wouldn't be playing golf if it wasn't for that job and the golf team. I do wish i would have started playing golf earlier in my life but I cant say I am disappointed with anything that has happened.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
viawbambutt

i wish i would've played...

Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #20
slowlexrese

My HS was too small to have a golf team and we were almost 30 miles from the closest course anyway.
But...I wish I could have played HS golf...I think I would be better.

Reply to Thread New Thread